Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
"the biggest use of power was "cell standby" with about 56% usage"

This looks like a problem

Poor coverage destroys your battery. Look at the link in my signature for help. I hate to say it, but put your phone into airplane mode to save battery when your signal is that bad.

MWM

Reaction score
Same issue

OP - I'm having the exact symptoms you described. Started this AM. I have had solid battery life - no issues. Today it died after 5 hours. Recharging from computer has been painfully slow, so I pulled it off USB cord, turned off and rebooted. No joy - stuck on the big M. About to try the battery pull.

MWM

Reaction score
Battery pull seems to have helped. Allowed the phone to come back up and it seems to be taking a charge properly now. Stay tuned........

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
yes, i tried the 228 option, didn't seem to do anything.

haven't tried the removing battery thing. well, i DID remove the battery last week and left it out for a while, but that was after turning the phone off. should i try removing while the phone is on?

yeah, it would appear that the cell stand by is the issue, but i think it may be an issue with the phone. as stated, the first month or so has been fine. then all of a sudden this issue started. same areas, same settings, so why would my signal all of a sudden be crappy enough to need to search for a better signal? especially evberywhere i go? this happens at home, at work, on the road, everywhere. could it be that the phone is defective?

also on a possibly related note... should i upgrade to froyo?

That might be your problem, just a guess but if you haven't upgraded to froyo while its available, it might be refreshing it constantly and killing your battery which might be included in cell standby. Just a thought.

OP
T

The Batman

Reaction score
i went to verizon yesterday and the lady suggested using an app killer. i explained to her, multiple times, that this is a new issue and i don't understand how an app killer would fix it since i have been running all the same apps as when i got a day or 2 of battery. she said to try it for a few days and if it doesn't help then try to go back and unistall my most recent apps as they my be conflicting with froyo.

so, answer me this, how exactly does an app killer work? because i will go in and kill everything and 2 minutes later when i go back into app killer everything is running again. so do they even do anything?

also, what exactly does plane mode do? just kill all signal? so its essentially like having the phone off without having it off? what is the point, why not just turn it off? i guess unless you want to play games or something...

i honestly can't see it being a signal issue since i haven't changed anything location wise, same house, same work, same roads.

the one other thing she said it may be is that verizon (who has great outdoor signal) bought out alltell (who has great indoor signal) and verizon people are converting all alltell towers to verizon and them working on the towers in this area may be affecting my signal and thus causing my phone to search for a better one thus killing it.

it makes sense, but also sounds like BS.

anyway, i have froyo installed, i uninstalled the one app that i had downloaded prior to this issue beginning and am using a task killer, lets see how today goes....

Reaction score
App killers are unecessary and tend to cause more harm than good, I will find a link for you to follow and read up on...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Thanks for putting that in here.

Why they are suggesting app killers is beyond me. Is this something Verizon instructs employees to do?

Anyway, I plugged in my phone at some point last night after 2d 10h 56m off of the charger with fairly active use. This thing outlasts my stock battery by a mile, OP. If you can get it, maybe it will help out.

the5barrons

Reaction score
I had this very issue. Had the phone about a month and not sure if it was an app or a setting, but the battery went wicked hot and the charge just left the building after that. I couldn't figure it out. Did lots of research here on the forums and decided that ATK wasn't the answer (which you've heard now too). I also got a new battery from VZW on warranty and while they suggested using ATK (I think they all do for some reason) I didn't.

Not sure of the thread, cause there are so many that address the battery, but there is some very simple things to consider that have been stated many times. Your settings and what you are asking the phone to do is one primary thing to consider. I suggest starting at the top of the settings tree and look into each one and see how you have it set...display brightness, battery mode, data push, retrieval schedules, background data, notifications...and then look at your home screen(s) and widgets. Widgets take up battery cause they are pulling down as needed. It's probably not one single thing that your phone is doing or has done, but a multitude of little things that are berating your processor to stay active. The more actions, less sleep, the battery and processor get hot, which degrades battery life exponentially quicker.

Just to see, I adjusted everything to manual pushes and retrievals, eliminated most of my widgets, set to battery saver mode, and took the brightness to 30%, etc...AFTER I did a factory reset with the new battery from VZW. Basically, I started from scratch but with a new battery and the least pull on the settings. Slowly from there I added the things I wanted it to do. Not that you should do this, but I would consider it. Definitely update your DX to 2.2 as I am told, one of the issues addressed was the battery. Even before I went to 2.2, I had fixed my battery issues. I'm now rooted and have settings pretty mild. Fetch schedule is on the hour, only the power control widget, wi-fi is on whenever I'm home (over 3g while in the house), auto-sync Facebook over wi-fi only, and no task killer. Depending on how much use I put the phone against in a day truly determines how long of a charge I get. Light use can be up to two days, heavy use...8 hours.

Just some considerations.

I hope that helps in some way.

-Andy

***EDIT*** I run the power control, weather channel, slacker radio, sticky note, and calendar widgets.

mrbworm

Reaction score
Are you located in an area that has poor coverage or is on the fringe of poor coverage? I found my battery life sucks at home in rural Maine on the fringe of extended network as it keeps reacquiring signals, but will last 10 hours or more or real use in a better covered area.

danbenton

Reaction score
My wife had this problem last week. The battery would only last about 4 hours. So we did a factory reset and all is well now. Now this week mine is acting up. We have had our X's for months now and never had a problem until now. I wonder if it has something to do with the 2.2 upgrade that was done last week?

the5barrons

Reaction score
My wife had this problem last week. The battery would only last about 4 hours. So we did a factory reset and all is well now. Now this week mine is acting up. We have had our X's for months now and never had a problem until now. I wonder if it has something to do with the 2.2 upgrade that was done last week?
Definitely not.

MWM

Reaction score
update battery life

After recharging from the wall overnight, everything seems to be back to normal. This morning, I noticed a very weak cell signal, which might have caused yesterday's glitch for me. My signal strength is usually so good, I don't even consider it, but maybe VZW is having an issue where I am right now.

OP
T

The Batman

Reaction score
well, not sure what was the issue, but today i unplugged at 8:30am and am currently at 90% battery.

i left it on my desk at work like always, then had to do some shopping. while shopping i used the internet a few times to compare prices, i checked facebook a few times, checked my mail, and checked my bank account.

and still, only down to 90%.

i reinstalled the app i removed this morning, to see if that was the issue, so we'll see how the battery is 90 minutes, if that WAS the issue, it should be down to 60% by then. guess we'll find out

crossfire

Reaction score
I have had my droid for 6 month and love it, but the battery drainage seems to be a problem also. I took off the autosync, which had always been on as well as screen brightness off and wifi, bluetooth everything. I bought a battery from amazon, charged it up last night now 12 ours later its like 70% gone. What can i do to prolong battery life.

OP
T

The Batman

Reaction score
ok, wtf? i had about 2 days of fantastic battery life, now its dead again.
this one was different though...
unplugged at 6:30am, went to work, got there early, sat in the car and checked some websites. went to lunch at 11:45 and was at about 90%, made 2 comments on facebook, then back to work.

at about 3:00 i went to call a coworker to ask him a question and the phone was dead.

so somehow it went from 90 to 0 in about 3 hours.

this is really getting old. almost to the point where i don't even wanna pay my bill because i feel i am not getting to use my phone enough.