wifi issue with Optimum Wifi

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I'm having a problem getting my droid to connect to Optimum Wifi. This is a free wifi service for customers of cablevision. There are thousands of wifi spots in the NYC metro area.

When I turn on the wifi on the droid it sees the optimum wifi network and connects. The problem is you have to sign in to use it and the droid browser will not bring up the login screen. I tried restarting the droid but it still wouldn't bring up the login screen.

Any other droid owners in the NYC area who subscribe to Cablevision with this issue?

Jthomas

Reaction score
I think if you do a "add a wifi" put optimum wifi as the ssid. and manually enter your login info so next time you're in the covered area it should work. I haven't tried it yet. may be in the next couple of days I will.

Hope it helps.
J.thomas

OP
brucin

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
i will give that a try. I added my droids MAC address to the Optimum Wifi web site but it still doesnt work. i think there is a compatability issue between optimum and droid.

Jthomas

Reaction score
Hi

I was able to connect without a problem. The signal was weak. 2 wifi bars.otherthan that no problems. Set the security OPEN. I live in the rockland county. Let me know if I @an be more help.

OP
brucin

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
The security is set to open. My signal was 3 bars. I connect with my notebook at the same location without issue so this is a bit frustrating.

Jthomas

Reaction score
Did you try contacting Cablevision?. They may have a solution. Good luck.

OP
brucin

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
Yes and they said to contact Verizon. I will try getting them the next time I try to connect to Optimum Wifi.

Jthomas

Reaction score
it might be good idea to see if you can find a Verizon store within the optimum wifi coverage area, and see if the store tech can help if nt call verizon directly from there. Iam pretty sure its just a matter of some simple setting issue.

Last edited:
OP
brucin

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
Problem solved, I hope. Optimum Wifi was saved in the droids wifi settings. I told the droid to forget Optimum Wifi shut off wifi and turned it back on. When I tried to connect to Optimum again it worked fine. Hopefully I won't have to do that every time I connect to it but if I have to I will.

cuskit

Reaction score
Puzzling. I have my Droid set to "remember" my Optimum Wifi, and have no problems getting at least 3 bars minimum as soon as I get into an area served by Optimum. I had set it up initially, and now as soon as I turn on wifi, there it is! I'm assuming that's what "remember" is for - so that you don't have to input any data everytime you wish to use the Optimum wifi.

Let us know how you make out your next time attempting this. Thanks for posting! :)

Mikey - Proud inventor of the MIKRADLE (multimedia dock)! :)

Last edited:

rdunajewski

Reaction score
Digging this up only because my issue is related. In my area (Edison, NJ) Optimum Wifi is now showing up with Comcast Wifi SSIDs on the same Access Points. If you tap Optimum Wifi, the phone jumps to Comcast Wifi and tries to connect there. Being an Optimum customer, I can login fine to Optimum, but not Comcast. Even using a friend's Comcast login, I can't get past the Comcast screen. If the AP has Optimum and no Comcast, it works fine.

From what I see, it looks like since one AP is broadcasting 2 SSIDs, the phone can't decide which to use and grabs the first it sees (alphabetically?) and picks Comcast. On most networks this is no big deal, each SSID will take you to the Internet. However with these two different cable companies, you get a different login page if you come in from a different SSID.

I read on DSLReports that people are having the same issue on Optimum with other Wifi devices. Sounds like an issue with the Wifi card or the software in the device.

Anyone have success getting their Droid on Optimum when a Comcast hotspot is on the same router?