WiFi Connectivity??

hicketre2006

Reaction score
My WiFi connectivity tends to connect to my home network, then disconnects itself, searches, re-connects, and basically just goes crazy. I do have it set to automatically obtain IP address and settings.

Im running Froyo on my Droid X. The reason I want this to work is because im trying to configure network settings for the XMBC remote to control my home theatre from my cell phone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
If everything is stock, you shouldn't have a problem.
In what state does this happen?
If the phone is in sleep mode and you wake it up, by pressing the power button/home button, and a few second later you're wifi is connected back...then there's nothing wrong

[Sent using Smoke Signals!!!]

OP
H

hicketre2006

Reaction score
After looking at it awhile longer... the WiFi connects with no problem, and stays connected. Its when I open up my XBMC remote that the WiFi kicks off, then starts going crazy.

en28so

Reaction score
Make sure your router has the security settings to : WAP2-PSK. If my router had any other type of security, my droid X could only connect for 1 minute. Now it's all good. Hope this helps.

kevinkar

Reaction score
This is an ongoing issue that no one seems to know why or what the fix is. Everyone seems to have a slightly different solution. Mine was to switch my router's "mixed b/g/n" mode to "g only" and then later, after updating to the latest OTA update, switch it back to "mixed".

Why that should make a difference I don't know. Stock out of the box 2.1, the phone connected to my router just fine. When I got the 2.2 update, it failed but I switched the router's mode. Then when I got the 2.2.340 update, same thing happened and I switched the router back. I shouldn't have to touch the router in my opinion as I have several devices that connect to it just fine the way it is (including the Droid X stock 2.1 out of the box). After I changed the router to work with the Droid X, all the other devices still connected just fine.

So the Droid X has some crappy code on it that changes from time to time and really causes a WiFi problem.

OP
H

hicketre2006

Reaction score
Agreed...

This is an ongoing issue that no one seems to know why or what the fix is. Everyone seems to have a slightly different solution. Mine was to switch my router's "mixed b/g/n" mode to "g only" and then later, after updating to the latest OTA update, switch it back to "mixed".

Why that should make a difference I don't know. Stock out of the box 2.1, the phone connected to my router just fine. When I got the 2.2 update, it failed but I switched the router's mode. Then when I got the 2.2.340 update, same thing happened and I switched the router back. I shouldn't have to touch the router in my opinion as I have several devices that connect to it just fine the way it is (including the Droid X stock 2.1 out of the box). After I changed the router to work with the Droid X, all the other devices still connected just fine.

So the Droid X has some crappy code on it that changes from time to time and really causes a WiFi problem.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm thinking I'm going to have to change my router settings. I had some people over last night and was showing off the Home Theater, and how I could control XBMC with the Android remote (impressed the not so tech savvy girls)... when the network started having a seizure on my phone. Thanks for the help, and I will let you all know if I get this to work sometime.

OP
H

hicketre2006

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, and I will let you all know if I get this to work sometime.
Keep looking here for "solutions" as one of them is bound to magically work.

And once I do... I'll post. (Had to go to work :-/) I think Im going to change the router setting for sure. If that works I'm going to be the happiest guy on the planet.

tyler5806

Reaction score
I use wifi fixer that I got free from the market and its seems to correct all the problems I had with my wifi disconnecting. Whenever it disconnects the wifi fixer re-establishes the connection and since using it I don't have the disconnect problems I used to have and my wifi stays on longer than it ever has. I started using it with the 2.2 release and 2.3 didn't fix the problem so re-activated wifi fixer. Just a suggestion if all else fails.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Tyler...I think I tried this when I first got my phone, but I felt like it was sucking the life out of the battery when I was at home bc it was always trying to fix my wifi. How do you think it effects your battery life? Is it always running in the background?
Thanks!

tyler5806

Reaction score
Tyler...I think I tried this when I first got my phone, but I felt like it was sucking the life out of the battery when I was at home bc it was always trying to fix my wifi. How do you think it effects your battery life? Is it always running in the background?
Thanks!

I don't use my wifi a lot because the 3G seems to be fast enough for what I need but I would have to say that it does take a toll on my battery when used. I only activate it when I need to download content online but I will take the extra battery consumption in order for my wifi to stay connected.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
H

hicketre2006

Reaction score
Hey all! Sorry it has taken me so long to re-post. I ended up changing the security settings on my router and was able to finally get it to connect without bumping me off.

Im not sure what I changed it to, as Im writing this from work, but it seems that messing with the security fixed the issue for now. Hopefully they have a fix for this in future updates. Thanks everyone for all your help!