Droid X does!!!!

digger01

Reaction score
I just purchased Two Droid Phones. They are great except there was a problem with the WiFi connections. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G Router with a Linksys WRE54G Range Extender.
Most of the time the WiFi would not connect to my home network or it would constantly loose the connection. No problem with public domains.
I spent several hours examining both the wireless router and the Range Extender. I finally found the problem which was the Range Extender. I unplugged it and both phones immediately connected. The issue was an IP conflict.
I re-assigned the last three numbers of the Range Finder's IP to one which was NOT being used on the network by any other hardware.
I use MAC address filtering on the router and made sure the number on the Extender was included on the Mac list.
I hope this is helpful to others on the site because it has been a pain in the **** for me.

Update: After a day of perfect WiFi connection with the Droids, they stopped connecting. I further tested all the computers, laptops, etc on my network and found the problem. It is the WRE54G Range Extender. I unplugged it and the Droid Phones work fine. The downside is that the signal is not as strong as I would like it to be at the other end of my house. My entire network has worked flawlessly for the last several years and continues to do so. My only problem has been with the Droid connections through the Range Extender.The Range extender has been configured properly with both lights blue and stable on top and my laptops in wirless settings can access through this device since it is only a repeater of the signal from the Linksys router.
I am not sure how to resolve this since I have plugged the Extender back in from time to time and the same result: When plugged in=NO connection via the Droids When unplugged=immediate connection and no problems. Go Figure!!!
Last Update: Reconfigured the Range Extender again, worked briefly but then the Droids continued to either NOT connect or disconnect after a few minutes. I have since again removed the extender.
Another note: The droid connects to the WRT54G but is somewhat inconsistent now. My conclusion is that the Droid needs a firmware update and the problem is with the phones and not with the networks.
Update: August 31, 2010. After updating to 2.2 on my Motorola Droid, I can NOW connect to my home Wifi including the extender without any problem. It has been running for several days now without any problems.

DeeMat

Reaction score
I was having similar issues (although no extender) and was only able to connect after disabling Mac Address Filter. Will play around some more and see how I can get it to work.

Magdroid

Reaction score
This MAY be an easy fix for you guys. If your router has a MAC address filter, and you would like to keep that filter on, here is what you have to do.
On your Droid - Go to SETTINGS ---> Wi-Fi Settings ---> hit the MENU Button ---> Hit ADVANCED ---> Copy your MAC Address on to a piece of paper (yes, they still make paper. Or you can even type it into the computer!). Then go into your router settings, and allow your Droid's MAC address! Now you can use your Droid, while still having MAC Address Filtering Enabled. That's what worked for me, I hope it works for everyone else having this issue.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
Droid X does!!!!

So this post I is just to brag about my phone. I'm sure other phones are capable of this task, but may be not every ones service. I've been at Lego land all day with my wife and kids. I thought I was going to miss the Game Cocks serve up some South Carolina c!;k to the Crimson tide, but with my Droid X and 3g service I was able to watch the game on

ATDHE.Net - Watch Free Live Sports TV.

All of the dads were envious.

I was also able to watch the Strikeforce fights last night and the TB Rays/Texas Rangers.

Droid does!!!!

cast

Reaction score
Droid phone and WiFi from Linksys

I just purchased Two Droid Phones. They are great except there was a problem with the WiFi connections. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G Router with a Linksys WRE54G Range Extender.
Most of the time the WiFi would not connect to my home network or it would constantly loose the connection. No problem with public domains.
I spent several hours examining both the wireless router and the Range Extender. I finally found the problem which was the Range Extender. I unplugged it and both phones immediately connected. The issue was an IP conflict.
I re-assigned the last three numbers of the Range Finder's IP to one which was NOT being used on the network by any other hardware.
I use MAC address filtering on the router and made sure the number on the Extender was included on the Mac list.
I hope this is helpful to others on the site because it has been a pain in the **** for me.

Update: After a day of perfect WiFi connection with the Droids, they stopped connecting. I further tested all the computers, laptops, etc on my network and found the problem. It is the WRE54G Range Extender. I unplugged it and the Droid Phones work fine. The downside is that the signal is not as strong as I would like it to be at the other end of my house. My entire network has worked flawlessly for the last several years and continues to do so. My only problem has been with the Droid connections through the Range Extender.The Range extender has been configured properly with both lights blue and stable on top and my laptops in wirless settings can access through this device since it is only a repeater of the signal from the Linksys router.
I am not sure how to resolve this since I have plugged the Extender back in from time to time and the same result: When plugged in=NO connection via the Droids When unplugged=immediate connection and no problems. Go Figure!!!
Last Update: Reconfigured the Range Extender again, worked briefly but then the Droids continued to either NOT connect or disconnect after a few minutes. I have since again removed the extender.
Another note: The droid connects to the WRT54G but is somewhat inconsistent now. My conclusion is that the Droid needs a firmware update and the problem is with the phones and not with the networks.
Update: August 31, 2010. After updating to 2.2 on my Motorola Droid, I can NOW connect to my home Wifi including the extender without any problem. It has been running for several days now without any problems.

I have experienced exactly the same issue, but needed to read your thread to understand its causes. My HTC desire logged to my WiFi network all right for a week or so, and when I tried adding a range extender from Linksys I could no longer log my phone, who actually is recognised in both the network map and the DHCP client list. But it does not ping and I tried both from the phone and from the router. Now to add to the bill, I never managed to make the freaking Range extender to work (this is another little nightmare in itself I am trying to resolve) but I presume that since I tried, the network reacted in a strange way by excluding my phone, the only one device in this situation; I also have a camera wifi connected, a printer and three PCs.
The solution given did not prove successful in my case, if anyone has another tweak it will be most welcome.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
thanks for the link! bookmarked

edit: tried it out, kinda sketchy.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moved to the general discussion section where others can reply and benefit from the discussion.

Mike

Technoman

Reaction score
Droid X does!!!!
So this post I is just to brag about my phone.......................... but with my Droid X and 3g service I was able to watch the game on

ATDHE.Net - Watch Free Live Sports TV.

All of the dads were envious.

I was also able to watch the Strikeforce fights last night and the TB Rays/Texas Rangers.

Droid does!!!!

Anyone else suspect this link to be a spam link? Has pop up windows that take you to other web sites, and ultimately all of the standard feeds look to be blocked or banned. Some even state "banned due to copyright issues"!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is dated Monday September 20 and does not appear to be selling anything.

Daali

Reaction score
Why mac adreess filter anyway?

I know this thread is real old, but I wanted to comment on mac address filtering.

Why do it at all? It is just causing you overhead at the router level.

If you are running WEP + MAC filter, and someone can google "how to crack WEP", then they can spoof their MAC to something you have in the allow list.

Stop using WEP, and run WPAv2 or better. It is crackable, but it takes a "little" longer, and do not leave any systems up, constantly talking to the network.

Sorry, Mac address filtering is one of my pet peeves when it comes to "security" and any brother here that has a droid X, I want to help.