Wifi, Airtime and Battery issue.

ferulebezel

Reaction score
Today I decided to use an open wifi network to do some surfing in order to save on minutes. Worked great. The problem is that when I was done I forgot to turn it off when I was done. My battery was dead in a matter of hours. I'm assuming that leaving the wifi on did it.

Is there a way to set a time out for wifi?

Another thing is that I never got a low battery alarm. Is there a way to turn one on. If there is I can't find it.

Isles7400

Reaction score
I am using" WiFI OnOff" from the market.. - free.. puts a toggle right on the screen.. touch it -- ON Touch it -- OFF Works great

Twoo

Reaction score
Today I decided to use an open wifi network to do some surfing in order to save on minutes. Worked great. The problem is that when I was done I forgot to turn it off when I was done. My battery was dead in a matter of hours. I'm assuming that leaving the wifi on did it.

Is there a way to set a time out for wifi?

Another thing is that I never got a low battery alarm. Is there a way to turn one on. If there is I can't find it.

When your battery gets too low the notification light will turn on and blink red, when you get REALLY low it's a steady red light and the lock screen will tell you "Plug in charger" or something to that effect.

Also, did you battery train? I run wifi 24/7 at home and at work and I never have battery drainage issues.

metsnfins

Reaction score
i dont know if i trained my battery correctly in the beginning

is it too late?

TINAGUNN

Reaction score
My battery on this phone dies in three hours no matter what. Just bought the Droid last week. Not really impressed with it so far.

FoFa

Reaction score
I use locale to turn my WiFi on when at home, and off when not at home (can manually over ride it I assume, only installed locale Friday).
When my phone goes to sleep, it seems to shut down WiFi as I don't have battery drain issues, unless I am using it.

Used the phone moderatly the last 3 days, and am now only charging it and it said 60% when I plugged it in.

Dan_Droid

Reaction score
You can set your Wifi to automatically shut off when your phone goes into sleep mode. It will then come back on when the phone wakes back up. I have mine set up this way. I never manually turn off wifi, and I get 12-18 hours of moderate to heavy data use on a full charge.

- Go to Menu -> Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi settings
- On the Wifi Settings page, press the Menu button on the bottom of the phone
- Select "Advanced"
- "Under Wi-Fi sleep policy" select "When screen turns off"

Wifi generally uses less power than 3G because it only has to transmit a few hundred feet at most to the wifi access point, instead of a mile or more to the nearest cell phone tower for 3G. The biggest draw on the phone's battery is usually the screen. It is almost always responsible for 50%-70% of the battery usage on my phone.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
My battery on this phone dies in three hours no matter what. Just bought the Droid last week. Not really impressed with it so far.

So does "no matter what" mean the phone sitting idle on standby?

If so, the battery is defective. Get a replacement.

If "no matter what" means "heavy web usage, marginal signal, bluetooth, wi-fi, 3G all going full bore" then I'd say 3 hours is about right.