Widgets and Apps

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the proper section for this issue, if it's not please feel free to drag and drop it to the proper section...

I am on a rooted Droid 2. I am using ADW Launcher, which I love, but I have run into an issue that has me perplexed.

I have downloaded many apps and widgets from the Market. This problem is especially true with widgets. (But not ALL widgets)

I will install a widget on one of my screens, and everything will work fine. But if I reboot my phone, the widget will be gone, and there will be a black box with a message stating "Problem Loading Widget". That black box can be dragged to the trash can (it's the only way to remove it from the screen) Then I long press on the screen, and tap "Widgets" and that widget has disappeared from the list of available widgets to install. It still says installed on the Market page, and if I uninstall and reinstall, same thing. This has happened with battery widgets, calendar widgets, photo widgets, just not ALL widgets. On my home screen, I have a Beautiful Widgets clock and weather at the top of the screen. I have a photo widget with a photo of my girlfriend. I have a battery widget from the Market (the ONLY one I have found that will survive a reboot), and a widget to toggle between ring, vibrate, and silent modes. These are the only widgets that I have been able to find that will survive a reboot. And it's not just on my default screen in ADW Launcher, it does the same thing on any screen I put those widgets on. (I have seven screens total)

And yes, I do know that widgets are not supposed to be installed on the SD Card. I have double and triple checked to make sure they are installed on the phone, I use Apps2SD to move apps to the SD Card. Even when installed on the phone, they disappear. Anyone else experience this?

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
*BUMP*

Still hoping someone can shed some light on this... :)

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Maybe uninstall and then re-installing your launcher app will fix it.

Directly from a D2

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Directly from a D2

I am considering that, uninstalling it to see if the widgets still disappear from the stock screens. Then I will know if it's ADW or the widgets themselves. I've sent an email to the developer of Titanium Backup asking if a backup of ADW will save the settings or not or if I have to start from scratch if I re-install ADW. Still waiting to hear from him.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score

Directly from a D2

I am considering that, uninstalling it to see if the widgets still disappear from the stock screens. Then I will know if it's ADW or the widgets themselves. I've sent an email to the developer of Titanium Backup asking if a backup of ADW will save the settings or not or if I have to start from scratch if I re-install ADW. Still waiting to hear from him.

Another option would be to try LauncherPro, you can backup your layout/settings with it. Couldn't hurt to try it out.

Directly from a D2

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Move the widget apps from your SD card to your phone. They will never come back is the apk's are loaded on your SD card. From the homescreen, menu, settings, applications, manage applications, tap the programs, and tap "move to phone".

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Directly from a D2

Another option would be to try LauncherPro, you can backup your layout/settings with it. Couldn't hurt to try it out.

Directly from a D2

I may have figured out the problem. I uninstalled ADW and tried the same widgets on the stock screens. Same problem, disappeared after reboot and disappeared from the widgets list when creating a widget. So I did some digging. I use "Apps2SD" for moving apps to the SD card. It shows the widgets being installed on the phone. However, when I go into the phone settings, under applications, and tap manage applications, it shows the widgets as being installed on the SD card, which is a no-no with widgets. I tap "move to phone", reinstall the widgets, and they survive a reboot. Now I have to figure out why they are automatically sent to the SD card. I also found my ADW themes on the SD card, and moved those to the phone. So now when I reinstall ADW maybe those themes will stick now.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Move the widget apps from your SD card to your phone. They will never come back is the apk's are loaded on your SD card. From the homescreen, menu, settings, applications, manage applications, tap the programs, and tap "move to phone".

LOL just as you were typing your response I was typing mine...see my last reply... and thanks! :)

EDIT: Any idea why they are automatically being sent to the SD card? In my Apps2Sd they show as being on the phone. In the phone settings, they show as being on SD card.

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
If the phone is rooted, many ROM's offer the option to automatically download apps to SD card. Check for this....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If the phone is rooted, many ROM's offer the option to automatically download apps to SD card. Check for this....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I am rooted, but no custom ROM's. I have been through every setting in the phone settings and can't find anything to check or uncheck for apps going to the SD Card. I downloaded a widget tonight and it went straight to the SD Card, I moved it back and installed it. It's not earth shattering, but every time I download a widget I just have to move it to the phone before I install it. But since all my screens are now full I shouldn't have to do it too often LOL