Why should I choose the Motorola Droid?

Reaction score
I was debating between an iPhone and the Droid after my contract was up with TMobile. A
big selling point for me was the fact that through Verizon, i could get insurance; coupled
with the fact that the Droid has a replaceable battery. That being said-I am happy with
my choice a little over a month into the port.
well i hate apple, so the iphones not even on the bottom of my list...f*ck that f*g steve jobs!

probabbly the biggest selling point on the droid for me are free GPS, touch screen AND physical keyboard, 20k+ apps, and the camera. and from what i hear the OS is smooth and quick, if thats true itll be a huge +

I felt the same way before I purchased my Mac. Now I don't think I could own another PC. Another big concern was my music on iTunes...Doubletwist solved that problem and now my songs are on my Droid.
You are right, the free GPS is nice...I now have a brick in my truck called Garmin because the Droid does the same thing-only better. Oh yea, 20k+ and growing...
this is only one of the reasons why i'd never get anything apple...apple users dont know a damn thing about computers. unless im completely misunderstanding you, in which case i apologize.

Because I own iPod(s), i didn't want to be limited strictly to them if my phone (Droid) has a very capable music player. I searched the forum and found Doubletwist-problem solved.
I am not an IT guy, was really averse to buying an Apple product (apart from my MacBook) IN THE BEGINNING. My MacBook and my Droid have been 2 of the best purchases I have made.
(As far as "apple users dont know a damn thing about computers" : you are correct, they are pretty much idiot proof, thus no knowledge is needed.)

The music player on the droid is INCREDIBLE. Hands down. And moving your music is as simple as dragging the files onto a folder on your phone.

loop4zil

Reaction score
-16GB of Storage via SDcard come with the phone (upgradeable to 32)

-Rooting is almost as simple as turning it off and on again

-Dedicated GPU

-Amazing camera, moved from an old 5MP Casio and the features smoke it. Which is funny because the Casio is an actual camera and this is an addon

-Can be overclocked pass 1Ghz and stay stable (i'm at 950mhz and its stable as hell)

-Not choppy AT ALL. This is the fastest "phone" I've ever seen, hands down. It handles multi-tasking even at stock speeds like a champ

-Flash support is coming (in b4 HTML5 vs Flash ****storm)

-Google Voice is amazing. I'm saving $30 a month on a texting plan because i just use its application to send and receive.

-Can be tethered extremely easily.

-Speakers are solid, the BEST speaker(phone) I've ever witnessed. LOUD, too!

-Feels like a quality product when you hold it. No joke, its great to just hold this thing.

-Physical keyboard is nice to have. took me a while to get used to the Droid's touch keyboard because i've only ever used a few, hard keyboard was a great learning experiance in those situations where i didn't want to use the touch-screen

-Mixed results on the battery from other people but I find that at the end of the day Im still sitting on close to 30% power (GPS off)

-Google Map's nav is AMAZING.

-I'm not one for a million apps for small ****, but its nice to see such a diverse market. Only apps ever to be taken off the android market were those for tethering because of T-Mobile pressure, you can still get them.

-Verizon

-Every Droid or Android related question can be answered here. The majority of people that come here do so to discuss the droid (and that's a LOT of people). The learning limits are endless

-The OS isn't as polished as the apple OS, but it also isn't as restricting.

That's about all I can say. Read it over and browse the general discussion for a droid. There are plently of these threads and the answers are all around you. At the end of the day your opinion based on your feelings and research alone are what matters.

HELL YEAH!...I am going to out and buy ANOTHER one now!!!!

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
-16GB of Storage via SDcard come with the phone (upgradeable to 32)

-Rooting is almost as simple as turning it off and on again

-Dedicated GPU

-Amazing camera, moved from an old 5MP Casio and the features smoke it. Which is funny because the Casio is an actual camera and this is an addon

-Can be overclocked pass 1Ghz and stay stable (i'm at 950mhz and its stable as hell)

-Not choppy AT ALL. This is the fastest "phone" I've ever seen, hands down. It handles multi-tasking even at stock speeds like a champ

-Flash support is coming (in b4 HTML5 vs Flash ****storm)

-Google Voice is amazing. I'm saving $30 a month on a texting plan because i just use its application to send and receive.

-Can be tethered extremely easily.

-Speakers are solid, the BEST speaker(phone) I've ever witnessed. LOUD, too!

-Feels like a quality product when you hold it. No joke, its great to just hold this thing.

-Physical keyboard is nice to have. took me a while to get used to the Droid's touch keyboard because i've only ever used a few, hard keyboard was a great learning experiance in those situations where i didn't want to use the touch-screen

-Mixed results on the battery from other people but I find that at the end of the day Im still sitting on close to 30% power (GPS off)

-Google Map's nav is AMAZING.

-I'm not one for a million apps for small ****, but its nice to see such a diverse market. Only apps ever to be taken off the android market were those for tethering because of T-Mobile pressure, you can still get them.

-Verizon

-Every Droid or Android related question can be answered here. The majority of people that come here do so to discuss the droid (and that's a LOT of people). The learning limits are endless

-The OS isn't as polished as the apple OS, but it also isn't as restricting.

That's about all I can say. Read it over and browse the general discussion for a droid. There are plently of these threads and the answers are all around you. At the end of the day your opinion based on your feelings and research alone are what matters.
sounds good to me!! :)

loop4zil

Reaction score
well i hate apple, so the iphones not even on the bottom of my list...f*ck that f*g steve jobs!

probabbly the biggest selling point on the droid for me are free GPS, touch screen AND physical keyboard, 20k+ apps, and the camera. and from what i hear the OS is smooth and quick, if thats true itll be a huge +

I picked the droid for these reasons:

Physical Keyboard
Ran the latest version of Android (at the time)
Best Hardware for a smartphone (at the time...nexus one may out class it now)
It looked tough and felt tough...(picture a droid taken on an iphone or an HTC eris/hero in the octagon...no contest right?)

After a month of use...I strictly use the touch screen for emails and texting. I have modded the crap out of the phone...it looks Ridiculously awesome...and it runs smooth as glass. I was already heavily invested in google apps (google docs, calender, talk, gmail, tasks) so the phone has integrated into my day to day better than i could have imagined.

I think that it is a good all purpose smartphone.
isnt the nexus one not a specific carriers phone, meaning theres no "deal" when you get it? cause i heard its sick, but im not dropping several hundred on a new phone, F that!

From what I understand the Nexus one and the Next gen Androifd moto phone are coming to VzW in the near future. T-Mobile I think has a subsidy plan. I messed around with a nexus one the other day and it is pretty sweet. I like my tough as nails modded to hell droid...but I was impressed with the out of the box Nexus one. I switched from sprint to VzW...it hurt the pocket book but I am loving the network.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I was debating between an iPhone and the Droid after my contract was up with TMobile. A
big selling point for me was the fact that through Verizon, i could get insurance; coupled
with the fact that the Droid has a replaceable battery. That being said-I am happy with
my choice a little over a month into the port.

I felt the same way before I purchased my Mac. Now I don't think I could own another PC. Another big concern was my music on iTunes...Doubletwist solved that problem and now my songs are on my Droid.
You are right, the free GPS is nice...I now have a brick in my truck called Garmin because the Droid does the same thing-only better. Oh yea, 20k+ and growing...
this is only one of the reasons why i'd never get anything apple...apple users dont know a damn thing about computers. unless im completely misunderstanding you, in which case i apologize.

Because I own iPod(s), i didn't want to be limited strictly to them if my phone (Droid) has a very capable music player. I searched the forum and found Doubletwist-problem solved.
I am not an IT guy, was really averse to buying an Apple product (apart from my MacBook) IN THE BEGINNING. My MacBook and my Droid have been 2 of the best purchases I have made.
(As far as "apple users dont know a damn thing about computers" : you are correct, they are pretty much idiot proof, thus no knowledge is needed.)
well my point was that your song arent "in itunes" theyre in a folder on your computer that itunes accesses. ive heard so many people say that..."how can i get my songs from itunes to blah blah blah?" im always like "are you f*ckin retarded?" i just dont get how some people dont know this simple concept. if this wasnt what youre talking about though, im sorry.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

The music player on the droid is INCREDIBLE. Hands down. And moving your music is as simple as dragging the files onto a folder on your phone.
thats what i like about blackberry...no f*ckin around with crappy programs like itunes. so this is good news

uhdcj98

Reaction score

well my point was that your song arent "in itunes" theyre in a folder on your computer that itunes accesses. ive heard so many people say that..."how can i get my songs from itunes to blah blah blah?" im always like "are you f*ckin retarded?" i just dont get how some people dont know this simple concept. if this wasnt what youre talking about though, im sorry.

I left a BB Pearl, both brothers have Storms, and a friend has a Curve. I would put my Droid up against any of 'em. And since I have never owned any other MP3, M4A, music player (SanDisk, et al.) I would have never known that "simple concept". Maybe if I had a Zune after owning a iPod, I would have known this...consider me "f*ckin retarded" because I didn't.

- Doubletwist made the transfer of songs from one folder to another very easy..you are correct.

Last edited:

uhdcj98

Reaction score
SO BIG RY:
Bottom line: are you gonna buy a Droid?

Last edited:

Hello Moto

Reaction score
I can give some input at least concerning the Omnia II vs. the Droid. About 2 months ago, my 1-year-old got a hold of my Palm Centro and short-circuited it with drool. Needing a replacement immediately and not having time to do sufficient research, I went to Verizon and picked up an Omnia II. I had it for about 2 weeks and decided that there were a lot of things I didn't like about it, so I returned it for a Droid. I don't regret it. Here's what I didn't like about the Omnia II:
- It was annoyingly slow, especially when using the internet.
- Many of the apps use quite large text fonts, so less text can fit on the screen. Seems like a big waste of such a high res screen.
- You can only put 12 icons on a home screen.
- Seemed generally less customizable and less user friendly than the Droid.
- No physical keyboard, meaning that most of the screen is consumed by the on-screen keyboard when in use.

The only advantages to the Omnia II over the Droid are lighter weight, sexier aesthetics (arguably), and a built in FM radio.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
"how can i get my songs from itunes to blah blah blah?"

If I had a nickle every time I heard this phrase I would be rich.

The concepts that overwhelm people baffle me.

iTunes ate your music and can only give it back if you tickle it..or give it more money. That's my new response.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You're totally misunderstanding Apple users. I had a Mac for my first computer, used Windows for several years. In all the years I had Windows I can't tell you the amount of times I had to do reinstalls. Got my Mac again last year, runs like a charm, have not had to do a system restore, does not require constant updates like Windows, no fear of viruses. I can go on and on.

And now I can run Windows with my Mac when necessary. Let's see a single PC out there that can do that. There is a reason why we select Mac over PC and it isn't just because they cost more.

Rant over, please continue with your topic.

And to continue back on topic I want to take up the subject of why Droid is so much better then Blackberry:

1. Overall functionality is smoother, quicker.
2. Web Browser. There is nothing that you can put on a Blackberry that can match the speed of a Droid.
3. Better touch screen then Blackberry's Storm. Either one of them 1 or 2.
4. Better hardware. Keep in mind I'm only familiar with the Storms. I understand the Bold was a decent phone.
5. Open platform. Allows the user to take full control, much more availability of apps then what Blackberry offers.
6. Better phone then either Blackberry Storm.
7. No battery pulls
8. Better control of memory. You don't even have to worry about memory.

That's about all I can come up with at the top of my head this morning. Best thing for the OP to do is to go down and try a Droid. See how it feels, how easy it is to use.

I was a huge Blackberry fanboy until I met the Droid. And breaking up was not hard to do. Caution: If you have been using Blackberry expect a huge learning curve. But once you get past that, which is basically wiping your brain free of every thought you have on how a smart phone works, you'll love it.:)

mattygabe

Reaction score

You're totally misunderstanding Apple users. I had a Mac for my first computer, used Windows for several years. In all the years I had Windows I can't tell you the amount of times I had to do reinstalls. Got my Mac again last year, runs like a charm, have not had to do a system restore, does not require constant updates like Windows, no fear of viruses. I can go on and on.

And now I can run Windows with my Mac when necessary. Let's see a single PC out there that can do that. There is a reason why we select Mac over PC and it isn't just because they cost more.

What a lot of people don't understand and ultimately miss in these types of rants and discussions is that the playing field is a LOT more even than what both sides would like to admit. Now, granted, I'll tell you outright that I have never EVER used an Apple product seriously, but because I am a computer professional I am more than well aware of them.

For one, Apple is EXTREMELY closed-sourced in terms of driver development and software development on their platforms. The reason XYZ Software company doesn't develop for Apple, or why ZTH Scanner or whatever doesn't have drivers for your Macbook is because Apple keeps a very tight lid on what accesses and works with kernel-level memory (I'm being really high-level with this, as I stated I'm not very familiar with Apple hands-on). This is a double-edged sword: Apple is able to solidly guarantee and market the principle that their products are so stable and rarely require maintenance. What is a downer for the consumer is that your hands are somewhat tied as to what hardware and software you can buy. Depending on the person/situation, this may or may not even apply to you.

Another thing is that I believe that OSX is a derivative of UNIX, which Linux also is (and consequently, Android is a derivative of the Linux kernel!). UNIX/Linux has been proven to be one of THE most stable operating systems for a wide array of usage, and so for Apple to base their OS on that was an extremely smart move.

Apple products are by far some of the best out there, and their price tags somewhat attest to it. I can also understand, however, some of the dismay people have (particularly computer folks) when Appleites start talking trash on Windows or Linux boxes because they have to be wiped so often or they're so difficult to work with. It's all in what you need to do, and how you're familiarized to do that. Apple does have an almost zombie-like following (just check out all the press the iPad received BEFORE ITS SPECS WERE EVEN RELEASED) due in part to their devices' rock solid history... The reason most Windows boxes have to be wiped is because most Windows users don't know a lick of what they're doing. I'm often called to "make my computer faster", and when I get there I see that there are (no joke) 20 programs running in the TASK BAR at STARTUP on a machine with less than 1GB of RAM. Tell me that's Windows' fault.

That being said, there are no "retarded" users, no one is "stupid" because they don't understand a concept. At best, they're naive and at worst their ignorant and unwilling to learn. The less name-calling, the better, eh?

Cheers.

Last edited:
OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

I left a BB Pearl, both brothers have Storms, and a friend has a Curve. I would put my Droid up against any of 'em. And since I have never owned any other MP3, M4A, music player (SanDisk, et al.) I would have never known that "simple concept". Maybe if I had a Zune after owning a iPod, I would have known this...consider me "f*ckin retarded" because I didn't.

- Doubletwist made the transfer of songs from one folder to another very easy..you are correct.
i wasnt trying to offend u man. but how old are you? if youre old enough to have every used napster (the original free napster) or limewire or any of those file sharing programs, youd have to know that all the files are saved to a folder on your PC. if you are one of the people who just pays 99 cents per song (or whatever it is) on itunes and thats it, then i guess i could see how you may be unaware.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
SO BIG RY:
Bottom line: are you gonna buy a Droid?
lol im almost 100% sure i am. im waiting for a replacement of my Bold to come in the mail under warranty. i have to like use that for a day or something, then i can cancel the line. and im trying to keep the same number or else i would have done all this last week.