Why should I choose the Motorola Droid?

Big Ry

Reaction score
I have been using my blackberry bold 9000 on at&t for a little over a year now. i used to be an at&t salesman, so it was on a dirt cheap no contract line. today, that line finally got cancelled :( well now i want to jump on someones family plan to save $$$. my parents are on verizon and many of my friends are on at&t. i really hate apple with a passion so i really dont think i want an iphone. but why should i chose the droid over other comparable phones like the bold 9700, tour, omnia 2, etc? touch screens are cool and all, but i've yet to use one (even the iphone) that i can txt quickly on. the iphone has the best touchscreen of any phone ive used, but i still cant txt fast on it, i need buttons. i know the omnia isnt, but i kinda like the phone anyway. a nice camera is a plus, and smoothness/snappiness is very important.

Reaction score
I can Personally say the Moto Droid is the best threat to the Iphone right now.. Meaning its just as good if not better. I told myself i would never love a touchscreen like i loved my phone's. But this touchscreen is just as responsive and Bigger! Just read up on these forms and you will be easily pulled to the droids side lol.

Edit:The QWERTY Keyboard takes some getting used to but you just have to break it in.. I used to hate it but i love it now.

If your a Customize junkie or your in to specifics like the phones OS and etc.

01.Customization is one of the key points on this phone. You wouldn't believe some of the things you could do to your droid to make it completely unique.

02. The camera is 5 mega pixel with dual LED lights and auto focus but I'm not gonna be bias the camera needs some work. but I'm sure with time improvements will be made.

03.Alot of people don't realize this but the music sound quality is significantly increased. you will hear certain things in songs you've never heard before (with the earphones plugged in) and the outside speaker is extremely loud.

04. The OS is no joke its not hard but quite complex from all the tings it can do (thats why this is no child's toy) But with all the things it lets you do is magnificent.

05. The droid DOES have youmail, i hear its not bad and you can find it at the app store.

06. My best friends and i never really found any use for the call and go on the web at the same time. and we all had i phones. Now don't get it twisted bro. If your connected to wifi you can talk and be on the web simultaneously.

As for the SIM card thing i understand were your coming from but they way i think of it is it makes it THAT much harder for someone to try and use your phone after its stolen.. ehh its just my two cents but welcome to the forum nevertheless!

~MM1 Payne

Last edited:
OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I can Personally say the Moto Droid is the best threat to the Iphone right now.. Meaning its just as good if not better. I told myself i would never love a touchscreen like i loved my phone's. But this touchscreen is just as responsive and Bigger! Just read up on these forms and you will be easily pulled to the droids side lol.
well im already heavily leaning toward it because of the camera and all the apps. pretty much the only thing holding me back is the ease of email on my blackberry, the fact that verizon doesnt use SIM cards, and not being able to simultaneously talk and browse :( i never thought id care about that but i use it a surprising amount. and visual voicemail. does droid have one besides youmail? blackberry has youmail and its awful.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Motorola Droid doesn't even compare to phones like blackberries or the omnia! No way! The only phone that could be close is the iPhone or Nexus One...

uhdcj98

Reaction score
I was debating between an iPhone and the Droid after my contract was up with TMobile. A
big selling point for me was the fact that through Verizon, i could get insurance; coupled
with the fact that the Droid has a replaceable battery. That being said-I am happy with
my choice a little over a month into the port.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Motorola Droid doesn't even compare to phones like blackberries or the omnia! No way! The only phone that could be close is the iPhone or Nexus One...

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the opening post. A Blackberry comparable with a Droid?

I had the Storm and the Storm 2 and Droid just smokes Blackberry.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I was debating between an iPhone and the Droid after my contract was up with TMobile. A
big selling point for me was the fact that through Verizon, i could get insurance; coupled
with the fact that the Droid has a replaceable battery. That being said-I am happy with
well i hate apple, so the iphones not even on the bottom of my list...f*ck that f*g steve jobs!

probabbly the biggest selling point on the droid for me are free GPS, touch screen AND physical keyboard, 20k+ apps, and the camera. and from what i hear the OS is smooth and quick, if thats true itll be a huge +

uhdcj98

Reaction score
well i hate apple, so the iphones not even on the bottom of my list...f*ck that f*g steve jobs!

probabbly the biggest selling point on the droid for me are free GPS, touch screen AND physical keyboard, 20k+ apps, and the camera. and from what i hear the OS is smooth and quick, if thats true itll be a huge +

I felt the same way before I purchased my Mac. Now I don't think I could own another PC. Another big concern was my music on iTunes...Doubletwist solved that problem and now my songs are on my Droid.
You are right, the free GPS is nice...I now have a brick in my truck called Garmin because the Droid does the same thing-only better. Oh yea, 20k+ and growing...

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

I felt the same way before I purchased my Mac. Now I don't think I could own another PC. Another big concern was my music on iTunes...Doubletwist solved that problem and now my songs are on my Droid.
You are right, the free GPS is nice...I now have a brick in my truck called Garmin because the Droid does the same thing-only better. Oh yea, 20k+ and growing...
this is only one of the reasons why i'd never get anything apple...apple users dont know a damn thing about computers. unless im completely misunderstanding you, in which case i apologize.

loop4zil

Reaction score

I picked the droid for these reasons:

Physical Keyboard
Ran the latest version of Android (at the time)
Best Hardware for a smartphone (at the time...nexus one may out class it now)
It looked tough and felt tough...(picture a droid taken on an iphone or an HTC eris/hero in the octagon...no contest right?)

After a month of use...I strictly use the touch screen for emails and texting. I have modded the crap out of the phone...it looks Ridiculously awesome...and it runs smooth as glass. I was already heavily invested in google apps (google docs, calender, talk, gmail, tasks) so the phone has integrated into my day to day better than i could have imagined.

I think that it is a good all purpose smartphone.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

I picked the droid for these reasons:

Physical Keyboard
Ran the latest version of Android (at the time)
Best Hardware for a smartphone (at the time...nexus one may out class it now)
It looked tough and felt tough...(picture a droid taken on an iphone or an HTC eris/hero in the octagon...no contest right?)

After a month of use...I strictly use the touch screen for emails and texting. I have modded the crap out of the phone...it looks Ridiculously awesome...and it runs smooth as glass. I was already heavily invested in google apps (google docs, calender, talk, gmail, tasks) so the phone has integrated into my day to day better than i could have imagined.

I think that it is a good all purpose smartphone.
isnt the nexus one not a specific carriers phone, meaning theres no "deal" when you get it? cause i heard its sick, but im not dropping several hundred on a new phone, F that!

Reaction score
-16GB of Storage via SDcard come with the phone (upgradeable to 32)

-Rooting is almost as simple as turning it off and on again

-Dedicated GPU

-Amazing camera, moved from an old 5MP Casio and the features smoke it. Which is funny because the Casio is an actual camera and this is an addon

-Can be overclocked pass 1Ghz and stay stable (i'm at 950mhz and its stable as hell)

-Not choppy AT ALL. This is the fastest "phone" I've ever seen, hands down. It handles multi-tasking even at stock speeds like a champ

-Flash support is coming (in b4 HTML5 vs Flash ****storm)

-Google Voice is amazing. I'm saving $30 a month on a texting plan because i just use its application to send and receive.

-Can be tethered extremely easily.

-Speakers are solid, the BEST speaker(phone) I've ever witnessed. LOUD, too!

-Feels like a quality product when you hold it. No joke, its great to just hold this thing.

-Physical keyboard is nice to have. took me a while to get used to the Droid's touch keyboard because i've only ever used a few, hard keyboard was a great learning experiance in those situations where i didn't want to use the touch-screen

-Mixed results on the battery from other people but I find that at the end of the day Im still sitting on close to 30% power (GPS off)

-Google Map's nav is AMAZING.

-I'm not one for a million apps for small ****, but its nice to see such a diverse market. Only apps ever to be taken off the android market were those for tethering because of T-Mobile pressure, you can still get them.

-Verizon

-Every Droid or Android related question can be answered here. The majority of people that come here do so to discuss the droid (and that's a LOT of people). The learning limits are endless

-The OS isn't as polished as the apple OS, but it also isn't as restricting.

That's about all I can say. Read it over and browse the general discussion for a droid. There are plently of these threads and the answers are all around you. At the end of the day your opinion based on your feelings and research alone are what matters.

uhdcj98

Reaction score

this is only one of the reasons why i'd never get anything apple...apple users dont know a damn thing about computers. unless im completely misunderstanding you, in which case i apologize.

Because I own iPod(s), i didn't want to be limited strictly to them if my phone (Droid) has a very capable music player. I searched the forum and found Doubletwist-problem solved.
I am not an IT guy, was really averse to buying an Apple product (apart from my MacBook) IN THE BEGINNING. My MacBook and my Droid have been 2 of the best purchases I have made.
(As far as "apple users dont know a damn thing about computers" : you are correct, they are pretty much idiot proof, thus no knowledge is needed.)