Why does my phone have my WiFi key stored after I wiped cache/memory and SBFd?

Reaction score
I've done this 3 times in the last few days, and every time I'm baffled as to how my phone still has my WEP key stored. Is that one of the things that's backed up to Google's servers automatically?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've done this 3 times in the last few days, and every time I'm baffled as to how my phone still has my WEP key stored. Is that one of the things that's backed up to Google's servers automatically?

It's been a while but I don't seem to remember having to log back into Google when I did a wipe. Now a factory data reset. That I believe would wipe your wifi info.

Did you have to sign back into Google after your wipe?

OP
N
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I did a factory data reset as well, after wiping the cache/data. I'm stumped. I had to re program my phone and re sign into google (and got OUT of signing into backup assistant, woohoo!) each time.

tebower

Reaction score
Wifi data is one of the settings that is backed up to your Google account. Nothing strange is going on here. When your phone reconnects to Google, it syncs your Wifi data just like everything else. I just factory reset my phone, and my Wifi data came right up too.

adridge

Reaction score
I'm baffled as to how my phone still has my WEP key stored.

I'm not sure why this is happening (stored with your Google account seems reasonable, as others have pointed out), but I would like to advise that you not use WEP encryption to protect your connection, assuming that router is yours. WEP can be trivially broken nowadays - use WPA instead.

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm baffled as to how my phone still has my WEP key stored.

I'm not sure why this is happening (stored with your Google account seems reasonable, as others have pointed out), but I would like to advise that you not use WEP encryption to protect your connection, assuming that router is yours. WEP can be trivially broken nowadays - use WPA instead.

I do. I'm afraid I've picked up an old person habit of referring to ALL internet encryption (in casual conversation) as WEP, out of habit. I'm only 24, dammit, I'm not old yet! Soon I'll be saying "The facebook".