Who's dropped thier Bionic and how did it fare?

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
I searched and researched for a while, but wasn't able to find much dedicated to post-protection spills. So, I'll ask here!

I've had my Bionic for two weeks now, stepped up from the Droid 1. I was pretty rough with the D1 and the phone shows it, though it was still working(albeit creeping) and never broke it(cracked the top right corner but lived with it). Didn't have a case for the D1 either.

So, I'd prefer to rock the Bionic naked, but the top corners are the only thing worrying me about it. This area seems quite vulnerable as there's only a mm or two of plastic protecting the edges of the screen (D1 had the metal on one side and a full keyboard on the other). Plus I added the extra weight of the extended battery. I've always had good luck with Motorola phones in terms of durability, but it doesn't hurt to be overly cautious. And I don't think this phone is too pretty so I'm not opposed to covering it up.

Anyway, I picked up this case for about $8 shipped. Got the case in today and while it fits great, doesn't add much bulk and adds grip when holding the phone, it doesn't cover the top of the phone and actually looks as though it makes the corners more susceptible to damage as it puts the stress in the very middle of the corner. I've read plenty of reviews but most of them are based on the fit and finish, rather than durability. Does anyone have experience with this case, or can recommend one? Let me reiterate I have the extended battery!
Bioniccase.jpg

I've also been looking at THIS CASE. But again, the reviews are mostly cosmetic.
Diztronic.jpg

Can anyone lend his or her expertise in phone-roughness protection and durability?

Maybe in a month when the newness wears off this won't even be an issue...:blink:

Thanks!

Insidious

Reaction score
I had the version of the case for my D2, and after removing it and putting it back on a few times it cracked, but it's still usable. It looks nice, the kickstand comes in handy, but it isn't the most durable case out there. I've heard the Bionic is VERY durable. If you want true piece of mind, Otterbox, and Seidio make great cases. I personally recommend Otteboxes Defender, or Commuter, series cases.

Sent from my Cellular telecommunications device, manufactured by Motorola.

mykl376

Reaction score
I'm using the diztronic one now with my extended battery. My only complaint it the slight slick feeling of the rubber, I would prefer more grip. It fits nice and tight thought, and will protect the corners and screen if it falls on a flat surface like the floor. There is no belt clip with this one though, if that's important to you. I use my pockets so no matter for me. Never held the other one. These two are the only ones that fit the extended battery that I know of.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

dgkjonmo

Reaction score
I've dropped mine a few times. One of those times was on the corner and there's just a tiny scuff mark on it. This phone is a BEAST!

lykofos

Reaction score
I've had my Bionic since release date. No case for it, just a screen protector. I've dropped it about 3-4 times by accidentally knocking it off of the desk and bed. All the falls have been from a height of about 3 feet onto carpeting. No visible external damage / scratches and the phone still works fine.

deduct

Reaction score
I have both of the cases you picture and also prefer the ditzatronic case. It offers more protection and fits the phone better without adding as much bulk as the vzw case. I used the vzw vase for about a month until i bought the ditz case and the corners of the vzw case wore out a bit. Mainly just from going in and out of pockets. The texture of the ditz case reminds of the battery door. So it has a nice feel to it. Too bad otterbox doesn't make a case that fits ext battery. I never stressed about dropping my phone when i had that big bulky defender case on here.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC

deduct

Reaction score
Forgot to add, i have dropped my phone a couple of times on concrete with this ditz case and can see no damage. Highly recommend it. Especially for the cheap price.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I have the diz case as well, have only maybe propped my phone 2-3x at a height of less that 1-2 feet, all on carpet and the thing looks just like it did when I got it. What stands out is how it just fell like a brick. It didn't even rotate slightly when it hit. With the case my Eris probably would've bounced just a bit, and that case sucked so it might have even come off. The diz case isn't quite as flexible as it's advertised to be, but it's not a hard case either...it's a nice spot in the middle. It also fits perfectly and adds hardly any size. Also recommended.

HonKudasai

Reaction score
I have the shell/holster case you mentioned first and I will warn you: What I feared about the case is exactly what happened, after rocking it for awhile. I got out of the car one day and the phone slid off my lap, hitting the gravel below, on the unprotected top edge. No major damage, but it got a couple nice dings next to the power button. If you're a real stickler for keeping your phone pristine, you'll want to go with a case that covers more.

jeremym

Reaction score
I personally own the diztronic one (option two in your post). I have the extended battery case and the regular case from them. Awesome cases and really do protect. As for the phone going naked...I too went from the OG Droid to this phone. The OG Droid is much more sturdy and when it scratched up you seen metal. On the Bionic its nothing but plastic so it does not take much to scratch it up.

I would get the second case you have in your post. Its a great solid strong case.

DarkJeckyll

Reaction score
I Dropped my bionic about 4 weeks ago. I went to slide it in my pocket and missed and it fell about 3 feet to the concrete shop floor landed right on its face and shattered the screen. I dropped it plenty of times before and no problems. But this time i wasn't so lucky. I would say any case that kinda protrudes a little past the screen would be great, just so if it does stick that 1 in a million landing the screen wont take any of the shock.

393761_2839061456318_1252711398_3098325_702900544_n.jpg

B

bens42608

I only go naked since I room the case off my d1. Dropped bionic tons of times n she's truly a BEAST. Not even a flattened corner like my OG due to the beautiful gunmetal frame around it

mikeyd08

Reaction score
I use the otter box defender case. It's expensive, but I decided to get it, it was on sale. Really increases the bulk of the phone, but I have large hands, so that's OK. Phone is totally protected with built in screen protection. I have no doubt the phone will last for years.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

deduct

Reaction score
I Dropped my bionic about 4 weeks ago. I went to slide it in my pocket and missed and it fell about 3 feet to the concrete shop floor landed right on its face and shattered the screen. I dropped it plenty of times before and no problems. But this time i wasn't so lucky. I would say any case that kinda protrudes a little past the screen would be great, just so if it does stick that 1 in a million landing the screen wont take any of the shock.

View attachment 45021

Ouch. Sorry dark. You replace the screen or get new phone? Cases are well worth the money. Live and learn right.

nateohio

Reaction score
For a good cheap case that works very well, go to Amazon and check out the TPU cases. They fit great, work with the docks and I believe that they even have one available for the ext battery