Which video conversion setting is wrong?

grimloktt

Reaction score
I can hear but can't see my videos. I'm using Adobe. Here are my settings:

Codec: Mainconcept h.264
TV Standard: ntsc
frame width: 720
frame height: 480
frame rate: 25 fps
field order: lower
pixel aspect ratio: widescreen 16:9
profile: high
bitrate encoding: constant bit rate 1 mbps

Thougts?

OSX2000

Reaction score
For 16:9, it should be 848x480, and the bitrate should be 1500kbps or less or the Droid probably won't be able to keep up and will drop frames or not play visuals at all. 1mbps is a crazy high rate for a 720x480 H.264 vid.

OSX2000

Reaction score
Wow, you sir are correct...I'm not sure what I was thinking there. Try re-encoding it at 1mbps with an 848x480 size, see if that works.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You might need to lower the res depending on what type of video it is...

D

dvdcatalyst

Thougts?

the codec is most likely your problem.

Start with an iPod/iPhone profile, then change the settings.

H264 is the correct video codec, however there are so many variations in its internal settings that affect playability on your device. The codec is the same as the one used in Bluray, HDDVD and iTunes purchased/rented movies, and even the same as the one used in Quicktime movie trailers, but due to the settings (level ID, Cabac, no Cabac etc) most of those still need to be converted to be able to play on your Droid.

If you start with an iPod/iPhone compatible profile (or "Mobile", you have to look through the profiles that are offered in your Adobe install) and then change the settings it should work just fine.

As mentioned, screensize can be 854x480 as a max, however some conversion tools only lock it to a factor of 16, which makes it 848x480
Video quality 1500 Kbps as a max, audio AAC Stereo at 160Kbps

If you can;t figure it out, maybe download a converted trailer from my thread here and load that in Adobe to see if you can copy the settings

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Thougts?

the codec is most likely your problem.

Start with an iPod/iPhone profile, then change the settings.

H264 is the correct video codec, however there are so many variations in its internal settings that affect playability on your device. The codec is the same as the one used in Bluray, HDDVD and iTunes purchased/rented movies, and even the same as the one used in Quicktime movie trailers, but due to the settings (level ID, Cabac, no Cabac etc) most of those still need to be converted to be able to play on your Droid.

If you start with an iPod/iPhone compatible profile (or "Mobile", you have to look through the profiles that are offered in your Adobe install) and then change the settings it should work just fine.

As mentioned, screensize can be 854x480 as a max, however some conversion tools only lock it to a factor of 16, which makes it 848x480
Video quality 1500 Kbps as a max, audio AAC Stereo at 160Kbps

If you can;t figure it out, maybe download a converted trailer from my thread here and load that in Adobe to see if you can copy the settings

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

So why wouldn't an mp4 @ 720x480 play on his Droid? Shouldn't that play?
BTW... what's better for the Droid... 25 fps or 29.97?

D

dvdcatalyst

So why wouldn't an mp4 @ 720x480 play on his Droid? Shouldn't that play?
BTW... what's better for the Droid... 25 fps or 29.97?

As I mentioned in my post, not all H264 MP4 is the same.

the rest of your settings are fine, no problems with that, but if your H264 settings are not set properly, the video would not show.

the framerate should be the same as the source video in my opinion.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Say if he were to rencode it to the same settings, but using SUPER © ...wouldn't that output a playable (on the Droid) mp4 using his current mp4 as the source input?

D

dvdcatalyst

Say if he were to rencode it to the same settings, but using SUPER © ...wouldn't that output a playable (on the Droid) mp4 using his current mp4 as the source input?

Sure, if you use the right settings in Super.

You can also use DVD Catalyst Free to convert your video files and DVD's to Droid format for free. DVD Catalyst free actually has a Droid profile that sets all the settings correctly for you, with SUPER © it's a bit more complicated to get the settings correctly.

But, in all honesty, there are 100's of threads in this section about converting video files for Droid format, which does not really apply to the initial question asked.

The thread-starter asked about using Adobe, and as I answered before, he would have to use an iPod/iPhone compatible profile in Adobe to export his video. Converting it from h264 to h264 again is not really a good choice to maintain quality. Its easier to do it right the first time.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Sure, if you use the right settings in Super.

You can also use DVD Catalyst Free to convert your video files and DVD's to Droid format for free. DVD Catalyst free actually has a Droid profile that sets all the settings correctly for you, with SUPER © it's a bit more complicated to get the settings correctly.

But, in all honesty, there are 100's of threads in this section about converting video files for Droid format, which does not really apply to the initial question asked.

The thread-starter asked about using Adobe, and as I answered before, he would have to use an iPod/iPhone compatible profile in Adobe to export his video. Converting it from h264 to h264 again is not really a good choice to maintain quality. Its easier to do it right the first time.

Didn't know you offered a DVDCatalyst Free version... but even your pay-for version is extremely low priced for what you offer, well worth it from what I can see...And although I personally prefer SUPER ©, DVDCatalyst is probably the best option for many Droid owners that prefer an easier option to convert DVDs/video to a format/spec that will play on their Droids.... good program Bro...
Cheers

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
Alright...back to the question at hand. First off, I didn't realize the creater of DVDCatalyst was the one helping me out. Thank you! That certainly shows the kind-of customer service you provide. I may end up going to DVD Catalyst; however, if I already have a program on my computer, I'd like to just try to use it.

So, I tried what was initially suggested. I started with an IPOD Large setting. Then, I changed it to 720x480. The ipod had variable bit rate with target of 1 and maximum of 1.4. So, I used that, too. I also decreased the audio as suggested from 320 down to 160. The result was that I could actually see the video but after 3-4 seconds or so, Act 1 Video Player gave me a message saying the video could not be played (100,0 or something like that). The stock video player couldn't play it either.

Thoughts?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally have found FFMPEG the only codec that works 100% of the time. I know others dont feel the same way, but it works for me.