Which uses more battery: wifi or 3G

mrvogt

Reaction score
Simple question, which uses more battery power, 3G or wifi?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm gonna have to disagree. I believe 3g kills the battery pretty quickly compared to wifi.

Diarrhio

Reaction score
I can say with a fair degree of confidence (haven't done any methodical testing) that 3G eats up more battery than WiFi. On both the iPhone and the Droid, I find that leaving WiFi on gives me better battery life than if I had turned off WiFi and relied on 3G.

DaHarder

Reaction score
My (loosely) timed testing reveals that: WiFi is far more efficient than 3G.

Happy DROIDing​

moot

Reaction score
GPS. Definitely GPS :icon_eek:

Agreed 100%

Do you GPS as in using Google Maps, or when GPS is accessed every so often, by checking your location through apps such as weather bug.

Also, does wifi use less battery while constantly streaming? I killed my phone's battery (almost full) streaming a radio station, in 4 hours.

Thanks.

R

racklefratz

Simple question, which uses more battery power, 3G or wifi?

Do you SERIOUSLY think a bunch of Droid owners off the street are gonna' have a clue about a question even a Motorola Droid design engineer would have to do calculations to answer?

Opinions - sure. But opinions are like $%&!_#, everyone's got one.

FireDroid

Reaction score
Actually I find mathmatical calculations to be BS, I would rather have realworld opinions from realworld users who would be using the phone the same way I would.

Mathmatical calculations are like **sh)(&%, every scientist thinks his is right

Laurence5905

Reaction score
The problem is, very few real-world users actually write down any real data on usage... They mostly give their opinions, which may be incorrect.

But, based on what I've read in various places, it would seem to me that WiFi is a bit more efficient, most of the time.

But I don't use WiFi because a couple of my widgets don't work with it. And the difference between 3G and WiFi is pretty slim, at any rate -- otherwise, there'd be no argument about which is more efficient. It'd be very clear that one is better than the other.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
WiFi uses more power then 3g. That's my opinion. I keep it on 3G except when I'm home then I put it on WiFi.

iPirate

Reaction score
It depends on the quality of the signal. The weaker the signal, from my experience, the more current will be drawn from the battery to try to boost the strength of the receiver/transmitter.

Do tests of your own. A guy sitting in the 3rd floor basement of a building 6 ft from a WiFi router will say WiFi is better. :icon_ banana: