Which = 3g or Wifi will drain the battery faster?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh, so locale doesn't need to use GPS? Cool, I think I'll try it out.

LOL, no you won't, it's $10 and I think there are cheaper and better alternatives. Locale can and does use GPS, but doesn't have to if you make the location radius big enough. I really don't think GPS drains battery, anyway.

One Locale alternative is like $3-$4 and was mentioned a while back, but I forget the name. Seems like it does everything locale does.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
ha, how do you know i'm so cheap?! (I am.)

Ehhh, Locale is simply overpriced. It had a lot of potential but the developers seem to have little interest in adding new features. Have I gotten my money's worth for $10? Maybe, but I kinda feel like a sucker and it's a lesson learned. I used to swear by it, but I was paying for potential that just never materialized.

I think Tasker is the alternative. Cheaper and supposedly better.

freeangle

Reaction score
Yes, it turns off your 3G.

I don't think scanning takes much juice. If it's just receiving and not sending, it should have a minimal effect on battery.

I say if you connect to wifi at least once/day then just leave the wifi setting on and use wifi whenever you can. Also, by default wifi is set to shut off when the screen is off. There is a setting to change this but I don't think it's a good idea to leave it always on for most people.

Really? But I do not use the wifi all the time? Should I keep the default setting?Or I should turn on the wifi if I want to connect and turn if off when I do not use it??

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try it both ways. I leave mine on and am very happy. There is a hidden setting to keep wifi on even when the screen is off but I didn't enable that.

The droid X currently has a bug (does droid 2 have it?) Where you should turn off using cell networks to determine location...under phone settings > locations & sync

freeangle

Reaction score
Try it both ways. I leave mine on and am very happy. There is a hidden setting to keep wifi on even when the screen is off but I didn't enable that.

The droid X currently has a bug (does droid 2 have it?) Where you should turn off using cell networks to determine location...under phone settings > locations & sync

Thanks a lot:icon_ banana:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

That little dancing banana is why I try to help people. Thank you.

ps: apparently droid 2 does NOT have the same bug

freeangle

Reaction score

That little dancing banana is why I try to help people. Thank you.

ps: apparently droid 2 does NOT have the same bug

Very good man of you,haha