Which Steinheil Screen Protector?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most people I've seen are using the oleophobic.

The differences:

Oleophobic: Dry application, doesn't retain finger prints/smudges, doesn't cover the entire screen though has a border of about .5mm around the edge because dry applications can't deal with the curve of the screen, they will bubble on the edges if they go all the way to the edge of the screen. Also feels more glass like.

Flex: Wet application, does cover the entire screen because wet applications can deal with the curved screen much better, tackier to feel, has a bit of the orange peel effect as seen on all wet applications.

I think I'll be going with the oleophobic, I like dry applications and I think I'd rather not have the orange peel affect/lose the glass feel of the screen like with the flex.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I went with the ultra oleophobic and it is great. Keeps fingerprints off nicely even my 6yr old nephews and wipes off any prints easy. Only downside I would say is it doesn't take up the whole face of the phone but covers the screen nicely. Creates a nice looking border as well imo

If you do a good job applying there is no bubbling at the edges. I know some have experienced this but I haven't and its been in and out of my pocket

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I ordered one and am still waiting for it to arrive.

Do you notice it's on? Does it affect your vision of the screen at all?

And how do you apply it best?

I went with the ultra oleophobic and it is great. Keeps fingerprints off nicely even my 6yr old nephews and wipes off any prints easy. Only downside I would say is it doesn't take up the whole face of the phone but covers the screen nicely. Creates a nice looking border as well imo

If you do a good job applying there is no bubbling at the edges. I know some have experienced this but I haven't and its been in and out of my pocket

Reaction score
looks like a more expensive version of the 3-packs they sell at the verizon store.....:icon_eek:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I ordered one and am still waiting for it to arrive.

Do you notice it's on? Does it affect your vision of the screen at all?

And how do you apply it best?

nope does not effect screen quality at all. When the screen is on you don't even know its there.

I applied it dry with the technique from a YouTube video, just search nexus ultra oleophobic and it should come up. Very easy to install. Make sure your edges are flat as some have complained about bubbling at the edge (its in the video) but I don't have any problems with it.

hydro556

Reaction score
I took a flyer on a screen protector when I was placing another order on Amazon anyway and it was only like $6 shipped.

Called on a Skinomi Techskin. Dont see a lot of guys using it, but it will be my go to brand from now on.

Although it was my first ever "wet" application, and I was a bit worried about the install. It actually went real well. I had a couple spots that looked like they were going to be blemishes, but after "curing" overnight, it is literally perfect. I cant find a flaw on it. Also, it covers almost the whole screen. All the cutouts are there and line up perfectly.

Once cured, it feels pretty good on the screen. I can tell it is there, but it doesnt negatively impact the use of the screen. I actually like that it is slightly tackier than naked, and it provides some traction which I think this phone needs, being so large, and slick.

Not to get side tracked, but I wanted to mention it because I think it is best protector I have ever used, and it is actually priced fairly, as opposed ot many others.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
nope does not effect screen quality at all. When the screen is on you don't even know its there.

I applied it dry with the technique from a YouTube video, just search nexus ultra oleophobic and it should come up. Very easy to install. Make sure your edges are flat as some have complained about bubbling at the edge (its in the video) but I don't have any problems with it.

The issue isn't with the oleophobic. It's with all dry application protectors. Companies found out that if the screen is curved, the edges will bubble if you try to make them fit up to the edge of the screen, so Steinheil made the protector just a bit smaller than the screen so the edges wouldn't bubble up. For some reason the wet application ones don't have this issue, so they can cover all the way to the edge of the screen.

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of the Steinheil installed on their GNex so that we can actually see how the fit is?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of the Steinheil installed on their GNex so that we can actually see how the fit is?

[video=youtube;GGc2wBJQawI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGc2wBJQawI[/video]

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The issue isn't with the oleophobic. It's with all dry application protectors. Companies found out that if the screen is curved, the edges will bubble if you try to make them fit up to the edge of the screen, so Steinheil made the protector just a bit smaller than the screen so the edges wouldn't bubble up. For some reason the wet application ones don't have this issue, so they can cover all the way to the edge of the screen.

from what I've seen wet application protectors have more flexibility. Usually dry applications are stiff so maybe that's why. I know its a problem with most dry protectors, just saying I didn't have that issue:) I like to think I prevented the bubbling with my awesome installation skills :p

This is also my first curved phone so it is a bit disappointing but it makes sense and I've accepted it. Like I said creates a nice looking border to it

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I ordered one. I'll put it on, if it bothers me I'll take it off and go naked. The screen durability has exceeded all of my expectations.