When Will the ThunderBolt Be Available for Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB has given several hard release dates! lol Clearly they have been wrong. But my point is that it is not completely unfounded to be teed of with this situation. I am confused by the notion that BB has been operating completely independently of big red and that big red is blameless because they themselves have not published a date.
Ok, I meant to say VZW hard release date. It hasn't happened. And, I never saw any corporate BB announcement of a hard release date either.

Go see if you can get a refund of your deposit if you're that upset about it.

See I agree that anyone who knew these rumors and had been online first really shouldn't be all that upset by the phone not releasing.

But for people like me ( I broke my droid screen 2 days before pre-orders started, and walked into best buy to look at new phones and they had a sign reading, "Pre-order the Thunderbolt today, Releases 2/14" So I walked over and put the money down ) So for me that was a hard release date, then I get called by them saying it will be delayed and release on the 24th.

Yeah, pretty much what happened to me. It's bs that they give any date. VZW could have prevented all of this...they suck

Although Verizon hasn't announce a release date for the phone, they have been advertising it heavily (albeit as "coming soon"). They also did say 1Q11 (which, in theory, could be 3/31/2011). So... let's say for sake of argument they had planned to release the phone by now, but haven't due to "issues" - it comes down to a business decision to delay it further:

Delay due to:
1. Poor iPhone Sales - we have to wait until they hit a specific number. Likelihood = 10%. I can't buy this - two different customer bases.

2. Features "Promised/Advertised" Not Working - they have to get them working before release. Likelihood = 50%. I think if it was just one feature (e.g., Skype Video) then they would pull the trigger and release it and update it later, but if it is multiple features... then they probably hold off.

3. Battery Life with 4G/LTE - they have to get it to "point X" with normal use (e.g., 6 hours of Angry Birds play ;)). Likelihood = 75%. I think this would be bad PR for the device - since it is something that is harder to fix with a firmware/software fix than a feature issue is. If it got to the point that they needed to pop a new battery in there.... wow... that would be huge for them.

4. Technology issue with 4G/LTE - there are issues with it working with the new network and since this is the first 4G/LTE phone... they want it to be as close to perfect as possible. Likelihood = 10%. Would think that this would have been discovered before this point.

My guess is that there is an issue with the battery and there is some furious discussing going on as to what to do. It's not like it is a sw bug and there is a line of code you can remove to get it to work right.

MAYBE the whole $249/$299 issue is related to them needing to put in a bigger/better battery and needing to make up the cost of it.

great summary StinkyPete. BB has had $100 of my hard earned money since 2/10... we are fine waiting but it is very frustrating.

this thread is heading towards critical mass. :blink:

Does anyone still think we'll see this phone on the 28th? Just curious what everyone thinks.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Does anyone still think we'll see this phone on the 28th? Just curious what everyone thinks.

I would have to say... no way... you MIGHT get a release date on the 28th

I would have to say... no way... you MIGHT get a release date on the 28th

It would be a nice suprise if out did come out on the 28th. The way things are going with this phone I would be happy if it came out before the end of March.

If anything they will annoumce on the 28th but with the incredible 2 coming out in the next 2 or 3 weeks I would say the thunderbolt will prob get released this coming week Thurs or Fri just my opinion

If anything they will annoumce on the 28th but with the incredible 2 coming out in the next 2 or 3 weeks I would say the thunderbolt will prob get released this coming week Thurs or Fri just my opinion

I hope they announce something:) does anyone remember the good ol days of this phones speculation?
"Mysterious Evo-ish Device heading to Verizon":)

Yeah also thought it was coming in november been waiting so long its insane HTC slacking

Ok, I have a Voyager and it ain't what it used to be. I'm thinking about getting something like an incredible just until the TB actually comes out. Do you think it would be safe to do that and return it when the TB comes out? Basically, does it look like it will be released in that 14 day window? That's until like the 12th if I get it today.

One thing I am grateful for from all this speculation and the guys that went off topic bowing down to the iPhone4. I have given up all thought of not waiting and settling for the iPhone.

A newly rooted D1 replacement should hold me for a couple of weeks for the original BMX forecast of a St. Patrick's day release of the T-Bolt.

Good things come to those who wait right?

BTW- Thanks to the mods for ridding us of the one liner guy. I couldn't figure him out. I think there's still one left although he hasn't been around lately.

Ok, I have a Voyager and it ain't what it used to be. I'm thinking about getting something like an incredible just until the TB actually comes out. Do you think it would be safe to do that and return it when the TB comes out? Basically, does it look like it will be released in that 14 day window? That's until like the 12th if I get it today.

Just wait til this week and see if it gets announced and if not u can do that this way you get more time also you have to pay a restocking fee remember

This Sunday's BB ad (2/27 - 3/5) in New Jersey lists it as $299.99 "after savings" for a 2-year activation. Also has the "NEW" tag on it with no "Coming Soon" or anything like that. Also lists Skype Video calling as a feature.

My guess is that BB blames Verizon for the price increase... (if there actually is one)...

Just wait til this week and see if it gets announced and if not u can do that this way you get more time also you have to pay a restocking fee remember

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just so sick of this waiting especially with a pretty mediocre phone.

I just want a new phone haha
I waited 2 years for my upgrade, I've waited a couple months for the Thunderbolt, and now...who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back