Whats the best Video player you've found?

yearn

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has found a really good video player for the droid?
maybe one you can load a playlist of movies into?
Or is there already a good way to do this that Im missing?
Thanks!

IXIBankaiIXi

Reaction score
I found one -Meridian Player- that plays music and video, and for video, it has gesture motions, like tapping to pause, moving left to to go previous vid or right for next vid, etc. I went through nearly all the apps for playing Music and movies that are free and this was the last one I found. I was impressed. Hope this helps. Oh, and this phone is awesome! Thanks Moto, Google, and Verizon!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I found one -Meridian Player- that plays music and video, and for video, it has gesture motions, like tapping to pause, moving left to to go previous vid or right for next vid, etc. I went through nearly all the apps for playing Music and movies that are free and this was the last one I found. I was impressed. Hope this helps. Oh, and this phone is awesome! Thanks Moto, Google, and Verizon!

I tried meridian and hated it. While watching movies, when fast forwarding it would not sync voice and video to save it's life. I mean the stock player does it to an extent but meridian did it by like 4 seconds. That's unacceptable to me. While it may not happen to you, it happened to quite a few of the videos I put on. And before you ask, yes they are encoded correctly.

Trip

Reaction score
I'm using Cinema, its free, it uses hardware acceleration which seems to sync the video and sound better in my opinion, and it also keeps track of where you where in the movie when you leave the player and starts back at that point when you come back to it.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm using Cinema, its free, it uses hardware acceleration which seems to sync the video and sound better in my opinion, and it also keeps track of where you where in the movie when you leave the player and starts back at that point when you come back to it.

While missing the actual seek bar lol, it does do MUCH MUCH better at keeping it synced. I will use this over the stock until I can find something better. Thanks for sharing.

Trip

Reaction score
Yeah, that is the one thing it doesnt have, you can move forward and backward by dragging your finger over the screen right or left, but its not the progress bar type of thing.

biggrizzly

Reaction score
I'm using Act 1 Video Player. Two versions, free and pay. I have the pay version which works great. I'm not sure what the difference is between the free and pay version. Give it a try... It plays my converted DVDs very good.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Act 1 paid version. Best player on the market. Only player I have found that can fit videos to the screen of the Droid if they weren't formatted to do so to begin with. Has played all of my converted videos without a hiccup.

Daywalker

Reaction score
Every now and again if I fast forward in Act ! the video ond sound do not sync I am hoping for a patch

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every now and again if I fast forward in Act ! the video ond sound do not sync I am hoping for a patch

Could be happening when you are converting the videos. If all the settings aren't just right, audio and video getting out of sync is common. I haven't had this issue with Act 1.

204janet

Reaction score
Cant find the right act 1...can you provide a link...thanks

cyber3d

Reaction score
OK, so I am using act1 and I kinda like it. But,I must be using the wrong DVD rip program. Mp4 files convert with 620x480 ratio and no matter what setting I use I get a small image with black borders. It's a program called "imtoo"
What ripper do you guys use?

droidmark

Reaction score
Handbrake does a decent job with the actual conversion. You might need something else for the actual ripping of encrypted/copy protected DVDs.

bubbleflubber

Reaction score
Hey Cyber3d,
Just joined the forums to help with your video issue. The reason the "black bars" are happening on your video has nothing to do with ripping. It has everything to do with converting your videos at the wrong aspect ratio.

In short, fullscreen televisions shows (not widescreen) are in a 4:3 format. The ratio is 4 "parts" horizontal by 3 "parts" vertical. Thus, 640x480 is indeed a 4:3 ratio. For standard widescreen shows, the ratio is 16:9. Thus, a proper aspect ratio for traditional widescreen videos would be 640x360. However, a lot of video players (standalone, mobile, iPod, etc.) prefer the encode to be in divisions of 16. 640 is divisible by 16, but 360 is not. Therefore, for most traditional encoders, a very close 640x352 is used. You'd only be losing 8 lines of vertical resolution, and your eyes really aren't going to see the difference on a phone or iPod. I'd start encoding them at 640x352 for "traditional" widescreen material.

However, if you've got other anamorphic widescreen material, you may need to shift the encode to 640x272 in order to get the right aspect ratio to show up on your device.

There is a myriad of technical jargon that makes "why" all of this is necessary, but in layman's terms, what you've done is made a video 620x480 (I think you were meaning 720x480, which is DVD MPEG-2 video widscreen standard, but even that's not technically correct... in anamorphic terms, the actual specs are around 853x480... but don't worry about that... dvd players resize the material appropriately for tv display), and when your device is resizing the video to play on your device, it is fitting the video vertically so that the top and bottom of the screen "touch" the outer edges of the screen, but in order to view it in the correct aspect ratio, it "pushes" the horizontal portions of your encodes inward to compensate. Thus, your black borders appear.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful. As DroidMark mentioned, Handbrake does a very good job at resizing your videos to an appropriate aspect ratio playable by your device. Give it a shot, it's free, and a very high-quality converter.... (actually using it to do some encoding right now). It's very user friendly, and if you follow the "iPod Legacy" settings in the built-in "LEGACY" presets, you're sure to get results your Droid will gladly accept.

I hope this helps at least a little bit.

Good luck!