what's NOT to like about Sense UI?

vtvette

Reaction score
So I'm trying to decide between the Moto Droid and Droid Inc for my first Smartphone. With the help of this forum I'm much better prepared to make a decision between the two. I went to the Verizon store last weekend and played with the Moto Droid and Eris to experience Sense UI.

It seemed to me that the biggest difference between Sense UI and standard Android was that Sense UI gives you 7 home pages, standard Android gives you 3.

Other than that the two seemed very similar. So, why do some love or hate Sense UI? Is there more to it that I'm missing?

I'm interested to hear why people like (or DON'T like) sense UI.

Thanks,

Riddick

Reaction score
Sense is a superior gui over standard android however I prefer standard android with my own customizations.

Last edited:

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
The thing with sense is it is mainly geared toward people who do a lot of social networking like facebook and twitter. Plus with GUI overlays like Sense and Motoblur is that they add their own apps that are duplicates of stock ones, like on the incredible there are two gallery apps and two music apps and two clock apps, etc. It is all about what matters most to a person. If you social network a lot then sense would be great for you.

mantis5

Reaction score
I only played briefly with the Droid Eris and didn't like the Sense UI. If the Incredible was vanilla Android I would be much more tempted by it. But like others have said, it's personal preference.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hmmm, its slower than my Droid :D :D :D :D

mantis5

Reaction score
I only played briefly with the Droid Eris and didn't like the Sense UI. If the Incredible was vanilla Android I would be much more tempted by it. But like others have said, it's personal preference.

You did know you can turn the Sense UI on and off on the Incredible, don't you?

Didn't know that, thanks for that info.

Damn it, now I am thinking about it again. :D

JCo352

Reaction score
Just call me old fashioned, but I was so used to vanilla android from the G1, that sense is not even an option for me. It's nice for some, just not my cup of tea.

Riddick

Reaction score
I use GDE with the Hero theme, it looks tons better than stock android. You can add cool effects like cubed transitions and it supports up to 7 screens

qEjF.u.cs.png

Sense UI is much better visually than stock Android but it adds a lot of stuff behind the scenes that you might not want on your phone.

Hmmm, its slower than my Droid :D :D :D :D

.... because you have a Droid Incredible and have tried it out for yourself and came to that observation, right?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Or maybe, just maybe, because 1.2ghz Cortex A8 is faster than 1ghz Snapdragon being even slower with Sense UI. Or maybe, its because the Droid GPU smacks the Snapdragon GPU silly. Just because you don't understand these things, doesn't mean nobody else does.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Or maybe, just maybe, because 1.2ghz Cortex A8 is faster than 1ghz Snapdragon being even slower with Sense UI. Or maybe, its because the Droid GPU smacks the Snapdragon GPU silly. Just because you don't understand these things, doesn't mean nobody else does.

So I'm thinking you must be talking about an overclocked Droid?

If I'm reading that correctly, that's not really a fair comparison point since 1) no one has overclocked an Incredible yet and 2) not many people can and will overclock a Droid. Comparing apples to apples, I just don't see how the Droid can be faster. That is, stock to stock, which most everyday users will keep it at.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Good grief folks, did nobody notice the :D :D :D in my original post? It wasn't meant to be taken literally in all cases, or even seriously. Lastly, I said 'my Droid'.

Sheesh.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Its all good, sorry if I snapped at ya. I'm frustrated that all the stuff I have worked for in the last week or so on this stupid ROM has just broken...