Palette UI for Android

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
[video=youtube;SrPgYiVTDKY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrPgYiVTDKY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪docomo Palette UI:[/video]

Love it or hate, Android is no stranger when it comes to UI’s. We first began seeing this from manufacturers like HTC who wanted to offer more features outside of stock Android and further differentiate themselves from their competitors by offering an enhanced user experience. Soon after Motorola jumped on the badwagon with Motoblur and soon after Samsung with their TouchWhiz UI. Whether or not these UI’s/themes/skins/launcher replacements actually enhance the user experience or hinder it is another talk for another time (but feel free to comment).
Well, it looks like we may start seeing carriers offer their own take on the Android UI. Sprint gave us a hint of this with their “Sprint ID” launcher replacement that essentially loads your homescreen with pre-configured app packs suited to each individual customers’ needs. Now, in Japan, there is a carrier called NTT Docomo who has just unveiled their Palette UI for Android which, like all UI’s, is aimed at simplifying and enhancing general ease of use on Android. Aside from the usual widgets and bubbled icons, Palette UI’s claim to fame is its handy app drawer that can group apps into categories and help you make sense of your growing app addiction. While mostly new to me, for some, this is nothing they haven’t seen on UI’s before like Motoblur, Timescape and even the new Sense which offer something similar.

SOURCE: NTT DoCoMo introduces Palette UI for Android, breathes life into your app tray -- Engadget Mobile

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Well, kind of knew it'd happen sooner or later. Carriers can block certain apps from markets on their network, as well as bloating up the phone with unnecessary apps, so why not make the phones they sell be branded with their colors too??

I think it's getting out of hand, and Google should start restricting them to what they can and can't do. If that can't happen, can they at least continue down their path of providing us with pure Google devices like the nexus and xoom that they say in contract must remain unlockable. Then I'd be a happy camper when (in two years) I'm ready for my upgrade.