What to do....

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Ok, been waiting on the Bionic. Seems like it should be the phone I want/need, unfortunately, $299 (I stopped in a Verizon store and they confirmed the price.) is just too much for me to stomach at this time. So I'm thinking of using my upgrade on either a Thunderbolt or the Charge. Then, when my wife's upgrade comes a few months from now, I can use her upgrade on a Bionic (or something else if it makes sense) and she could have the Thunderbolt/Charge I get.

I can get either a Thunderbolt or a Charge as a refurb online from Verizon for $149. I've got my $50 discount plus they're giving a $100 gift card when you send in your old smartphone. So, for a net of $49 I can upgrade to one of these.

Now, I might also be able to get that $100 back on the Bionic (but I'm not sure) which would bring my net price down to $149. Certainly a little better price but still $100 more than I'd like to spend knowing I can get one of the other phones for so much less.

The dual-core processor is a nice-to-have for me, not a need-to-have. The only thing I need is the 4G speed. From what I've seen/read, the Thunderbolt/Charge are both more than fast enough without dual-core processors. I'm not as concerned about battery life as I'm either in an office somewhere or in my car where I can charge my phone most of the time.

So, what do you all suggest? Again, keeping in mind I don't really need dual-core but it would be nice.

destin246

Reaction score
well if u dont wanna spend 299 jus get the bionic now and use the giftcard and discount and itl be 150 or pay 50 for a charge or thunderbolt and have to pay 300 later what sounds smarter?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
well if u dont wanna spend 299 jus get the bionic now and use the giftcard and discount and itl be 150 or pay 50 for a charge or thunderbolt and have to pay 300 later what sounds smarter?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
I hear you, however, the Bionic won't be $299 forever. When the next phone comes out, it'll drop in price (like everything else). Question would be more of whether I'd be wanting the next phone as much as I want the Bionic. At this point, I'm not seeing anything else out there offering more of what I want like the Bionic is bringing (relative to phones out right now that is).

So I could spend the $49 now, give that phone to my wife when I want to upgrade again and I wouldn't be spending $299 by then.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I hear you, however, the Bionic won't be $299 forever. When the next phone comes out, it'll drop in price (like everything else). Question would be more of whether I'd be wanting the next phone as much as I want the Bionic. At this point, I'm not seeing anything else out there offering more of what I want like the Bionic is bringing (relative to phones out right now that is).

So I could spend the $49 now, give that phone to my wife when I want to upgrade again and I wouldn't be spending $299 by then.

you got a good plan and can always play the waiting game too for the next device. you just might have "new phone syndrome", what i like to call the desire to get a new phone. I got it now, but I'm definitely going to check out the Bionic when it drops on Thursday. I still love my Inc and it's supposed to get GB soon, so if anything that'll hold me over. If anything the Bionic is just an upgrade in screen size and speed for me, I'd use the phone the same way, 4.3" screen seems too big though, no one is making 3.7" anymore :(

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
you got a good plan and can always play the waiting game too for the next device. you just might have "new phone syndrome", what i like to call the desire to get a new phone. I got it now, but I'm definitely going to check out the Bionic when it drops on Thursday. I still love my Inc and it's supposed to get GB soon, so if anything that'll hold me over. If anything the Bionic is just an upgrade in screen size and speed for me, I'd use the phone the same way, 4.3" screen seems too big though, no one is making 3.7" anymore :(
You bring up a good point and it reminds me I neglected to mention something. I'm using an original Droid (got it the day it came out). Unfortunately, it's been, well, let's just say it's misbehaving and I don't know why (others around here have tried to help me). The Verizon people have been no help either. So, yes, part of it is new phone syndrome but most of it is, well, I need a new phone either way. If I'm going to spend money on a new (or refurbished phone), I am not going with 3G as I do need the speed for various things I do daily.

Add to that I won't be, "stuck," with this phone for more than a few months until my wife's upgrade comes up, and I believe it makes sense to upgrade now then see how things pan out with 4G phones over the next 6ish months. We should know a LOT more by then...

Seems like Verizon has some good 4G phones but each of them seem to be lacking one thing (for me). The LG has the LG UI, which I hate. The Thunderbolt has the battery life issue. The Charge has, well, from what I've seen it seems pretty solid sans dual-core but, as I mentioned, this isn't a must have for me.

But I've read very positive reviews for both the TB and the Charge. So I believe I'll go with one of these (assuming someone doesn't convince me to do otherwise), just not sure which one at the moment.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You bring up a good point and it reminds me I neglected to mention something. I'm using an original Droid (got it the day it came out). Unfortunately, it's been, well, let's just say it's misbehaving and I don't know why (others around here have tried to help me). The Verizon people have been no help either. So, yes, part of it is new phone syndrome but most of it is, well, I need a new phone either way. If I'm going to spend money on a new (or refurbished phone), I am not going with 3G as I do need the speed for various things I do daily.

Add to that I won't be, "stuck," with this phone for more than a few months until my wife's upgrade comes up, and I believe it makes sense to upgrade now then see how things pan out with 4G phones over the next 6ish months. We should know a LOT more by then...

Seems like Verizon has some good 4G phones but each of them seem to be lacking one thing (for me). The LG has the LG UI, which I hate. The Thunderbolt has the battery life issue. The Charge has, well, from what I've seen it seems pretty solid sans dual-core but, as I mentioned, this isn't a must have for me.

But I've read very positive reviews for both the TB and the Charge. So I believe I'll go with one of these (assuming someone doesn't convince me to do otherwise), just not sure which one at the moment.

Heh yes, seems some og Droids are going crazy. My OG Droid from launch day is still acting pretty good, I've given it to my sister since then and have heard no complaints.

You got a great plan as long as your wife agrees to it, lol. Even if you don't like the Bionic you'll have a pretty significant upgrade from your OG Droid and that'll hold you over until a phone you really want comes out. Even if no phone comes out for a good year, you'll still be in the game with 4g. In terms of quantity of amount of phones available, that should go up a bit, but in terms of specs significantly rising from where they are now, i don't think we'll see much of that in the year to come. I could be wrong of course, considering how fast the mobile world moves.

Regardless, if you upgrade to Charge, TB, or Bionic, it will be a significant upgrade over your Droid. I mean you've had it for this long and haven't upgraded, seems you can either put up with a phone that long or you just really enjoyed it.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Heh yes, seems some og Droids are going crazy. My OG Droid from launch day is still acting pretty good, I've given it to my sister since then and have heard no complaints.

You got a great plan as long as your wife agrees to it, lol. Even if you don't like the Bionic you'll have a pretty significant upgrade from your OG Droid and that'll hold you over until a phone you really want comes out. Even if no phone comes out for a good year, you'll still be in the game with 4g. In terms of quantity of amount of phones available, that should go up a bit, but in terms of specs significantly rising from where they are now, i don't think we'll see much of that in the year to come. I could be wrong of course, considering how fast the mobile world moves.

Regardless, if you upgrade to Charge, TB, or Bionic, it will be a significant upgrade over your Droid. I mean you've had it for this long and haven't upgraded, seems you can either put up with a phone that long or you just really enjoyed it.

Not worried about the wife. She's got an Ally and loves it (believe it or not). So shed be happy either way.

I'm leaning towards the Charge because I just love that screen. But I do love what HTC has done so I'm a bit torn on which to get...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Not worried about the wife. She's got an Ally and loves it (believe it or not). So shed be happy either way.

I'm leaning towards the Charge because I just love that screen. But I do love what HTC has done so I'm a bit torn on which to get...

I love HTC and their devices. Sense UI runs great, never had a problem with my old Tilt before either. I did like the small demo I had with the Charge, but not a fan at all of TouchWiz, I would replace it with Launcherpro. The only reason I'd stay away from the TB is because of its battery life, yes I own an Incredible, but my friend says it's even worse than the Inc. I'd have to get an extended battery which I do not want so that's the dealbreaker for me.