What smart actions do you have set?

quadjacks

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet you have other triggers with those wifi triggers instead of just the wifi trigger. Those triggers are AND's not OR's
I do realize that each trigger/condition has to be met before action occurs. Usually, I only have the one trigger based on a wifi, for example when on home wifi, shut 3g off. Doesn't work on any wifi's I have set.

EDIT: I ran a test, the smart action wont work as the 3g is already off when I start Wifi... Well it's safe to say it goes off as when I surf using a browser the up/down arrows dont blink. When I turn the wifi off and surf, they blink. The issue is I think that on all other moto phones, the 3g icon would go away indicating none use. With the razr, the 3g stays, however, the icon goes white to include the 5 bars.

Last edited:

Zandar

Reaction score
I use Google Voice for all of my texting, and I communicate more via IM than anything else. Most of the Smart Actions seem to save battery life via disabling the cellular radios, which would mean I don't get IMs or GV texts. This renders a lot of the Smart Actions useless for me, unless I'm missing something.

I really wish there was an option to switch from 3G to 3G/4GLTE. I run in 3G most of the time and get great battery life with it (even though I have a pretty good 4G signal where I live and work). I would love to set actions to switch the radios, but the option just isn't there (again, unless I'm missing something).

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
@revelated...

Nice post. I jst realized I can use the Headphones plugged in Action to turn off my Wifi automatically when I leave home for work...

I posted this at another site for what I do:

I use Smart Actions also as a one button setup for all things I need to enable/disable at one time. I also get to work and leave at different times so going by strict time frames doesnt work all the time.

So even tho its time related, if I set it for all day, either during the week or the weekends, I just enable the Actions for that setup, no matter the time frame. I do have some the I have work automatically. The ones that are time related to functions like data, Wifi and what not I only use one timeframe setting at a time. Stuff like trying to set my alarm, stays on all the time. So far this way works for me until either the app gets updated or I switch to something else like Tasker or Locale.

I wish ALL the volume would go up or down, not just the ringer. I also wish it was a way to have Wifi turn on when I got near the router. Like have it sleep and it wakes up when I'm near it, not just searching for a connection all day.

Smart Actions is what I wanted Profiles to be on the Droid X1. When I switch to a specific Profile, I wanted the phone to go completely silent and go into Airplane Mode. Switch to another profile, it goes back to 100% and comes out of Airplane Mode. I do appreciate that Moto shed light on this. Without Smart Actions, I woulda never even considered Tasker or Locale. Now I might give them a whirl to see if they do more of what I want as far as the volume and Wifi.

About the volume...I found it does turn others up/down. It doesnt touch Alarm, Media and in-call volume I believe.

Last edited:

roorat

Reaction score
I have a built-in hands free in my car, so I have Smart Actions set to turn on Bluetooth in the morning when I get in my car and again at night for the commute to and from work. I also have an action to turn off Bluetooth when I'm not in my car.

I also started using the battery extender, though I usually have a good 20 or more hours of battery life before needing a charge. I have found some games use a lot of power and so do long phone calls (30 minutes or longer).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jtlapp69

Reaction score
When I turn "cellular data" off because I'm on one of my designated Wi-Fi networks, the RAZR won't let me send pictures via text (MMS), complaining that I need to turn cellular data on first. I don't see how to turn cellular data on without changing the smart action.

What's the best way to handle this? Seems like a waste to have 4G on while also on Wi-Fi. Thanks!

revelated

Reaction score
I use Google Voice for all of my texting, and I communicate more via IM than anything else. Most of the Smart Actions seem to save battery life via disabling the cellular radios, which would mean I don't get IMs or GV texts. This renders a lot of the Smart Actions useless for me, unless I'm missing something.

I really wish there was an option to switch from 3G to 3G/4GLTE. I run in 3G most of the time and get great battery life with it (even though I have a pretty good 4G signal where I live and work). I would love to set actions to switch the radios, but the option just isn't there (again, unless I'm missing something).

Google Voice nor IM use cell data. Cell data <> cell radio. Your phone can still send and receive text messages without cell data. Google Voice works on whatever data it can get (including WiFi) as long as Background data is on, which is unaffected by Smart Actions. As long as you're in a WiFi hotspot you're fine both ways. The IM should work regardless. It's MMS that has a fit, but I gave suggestions to that below. In my opinion MMS should be a dead tech by now.

I just did a video about the RAZR. I posed this question: Do you REALLY need 4G on all the time, or do you just think you do? Is it more likely that you need 4G only when accessing the Mobile Hotspot or large downloads? Isn't it then more practical to just leave it on 3G for battery's sake and enable 4G when you need the rush?

When I turn "cellular data" off because I'm on one of my designated Wi-Fi networks, the RAZR won't let me send pictures via text (MMS), complaining that I need to turn cellular data on first. I don't see how to turn cellular data on without changing the smart action.

What's the best way to handle this? Seems like a waste to have 4G on while also on Wi-Fi. Thanks!

This might seem a bit prehistoric, but have you thought about just sharing your picture via email or Twitter or Flickr or Picasa or even DropBox? Email seems the more logical candidate, followed by Twitter.

Also I modified one Smart Action and created another.

Begin Wireless Scanning
Triggers at a time I should be home every day during M-F
Wi-Fi enable;
Send Notification (so I know I'm running late)
This will turn on Wi-Fi which I generally leave off during business hours. Currently I only have my home hotspot enabled. If I'm home, this should automatically pick up and connect to that hotspot, triggering my Home Smart Action. I did this for a cleaner transition between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi. I don't connect to my work's guest wireless because (A) it's slower than dirt and (B) they technically have the right to analyze packets.
In Car Other = In Car Music
Triggers by headphones plugged in
Everything disabled except 4G/3G and GPS, longer display timeout, auto brightness;
Launches Amazon MP3
I don't do the auto song download on the RAZR because I wasn't sure if I was keeping it, so for now I stream everything from Amazon Cloud Player. I do this frequently and would always manually run the music app, but since the Smart Action can handle this for me, I figured I would take advantage of it. It's also nice that it closes the app after it's finished.

Last edited:
OP
E

eric.scheman

Reaction score

You can go to settings>date manager>date enabled (which is the first one) and check it when you want to send a picture and uncheck it when you done so your smart action won't have any conflictions. That's what I do cause I rarely receive or send picture messages

JaBr1884

Reaction score

What I found easiest, is having a wifi widget (power control widget) where I can disable wifi from a home screen, this switches off wifi and reconnects cellular data and allows me to download the picture or send one. I don't bother turning wifi back on, as smartactions will do this for me when ever I turn my screen off (all data off) and back on (wifi back on as priority).

jtlapp69

Reaction score
Wow, thank you everyone! This person doesn't check email very often, so it's gotta be MMS. I installed a wi-fi toggle widget, and that does the job. I also didn't know about the Data Manager on/off option, so thank you for that too. I **LOVE** this phone. LTE and yet the best battery life of any smartphone I've ever had.

m3incorp

Reaction score
Shutting off cellular data is the same as shutting off 3G/4G. If you are not on wifi, how do you still receive mms texts that include photos?

I have to say that the best SA is:
Triggers
Display off

Actions
Cellular data-disable
GPS-off
Background sync-off

This thing is lasting me all day long with medium use. I have not turned off 4g. Shutting things down when the display is off makes sence. I still receive phone calls and texts. I am loving this phone.

Last edited:

revelated

Reaction score
Shutting off cellular data is the same as shutting off 3G/4G. If you are not on wifi, how do you still receive texts?

Cell data <> cell signal. Airplane mode and roaming are the only two conditions that would prevent regular SMS. SMS goes over "the phone line", not the data. MMS requires data but only because it's got a larger packet size.

jtlapp69

Reaction score
Shutting off cellular data is the same as shutting off 3G/4G. If you are not on wifi, how do you still receive texts?

I cannot answer the "how" part of the question. However, I have cellular data (and hence 3G/4G) off in my house while I am on wifi, and I can send and receive texts. However, I can neither send nor receive images sent via text (via MMS) with cellular data off. When I receive a text with an image, I get a notice for the text message but without the image. The text includes a "download" button for the image (in my GO texting app). I then manually turn cellular data on and press the "download" button. The image arrives, and I turn cellular data back off again.

The bugaboo is texting images. I often forget to turn cellular data on before texting an image. This gives me an error. I then turn cellular data on, and it seems hit or miss whether the image I had just sent makes it out. I often have to resend the image. Furthermore, it appears that I have to prevent smart actions from automatically disabling cellular data until the image is done sending. I am not happy with that bit, as sometimes I shut off my phone before the image finishes sending, and the image doesn't go out. I wish cellular data would be smart enough to stay on long enough to finish the current job. (That's what I think is going on, anyway.)

jtlapp69

Reaction score
... sometimes I shut off my phone before the image finishes sending, and the image doesn't go out. I wish cellular data would be smart enough to stay on long enough to finish the current job.

That only makes sense if you know that I have cellular data shutting off whenever I turn the display off.

OP
E

eric.scheman

Reaction score

Not true you just can't receive mms messages. You can still receive text and calls