What GPS ap?

maxnicks

Reaction score
I've a Moto Droid 1. The google maps/navigate work well. Problem is when I have no phone reception the google navigate does not work. Back in the day before my Droid, i used telenav. does anybody have anything to say about telenav on the droid? Does anybody have any suggestions as to what GPS to use to overcome my issue?

ivan98gst

Reaction score
So i had mg envy touch befoe the droid x. I used vs navigator and if i didn't have reception the gps would not work. Google maps has a dedicated sattelite so i think the droid will have a better gps. I don't know if droid one has the navigator by google but that's what i use all the time.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I would stick with google maps. I say that's the best one.

If you run out of signal/3G, I don't think anything would work too well....:huh:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google maps and nav get map data thru your data connection.

If you lose phone service while navagating, the route will stay, however it will not be able to give you position, or turn guidance until you get that back.

Now for your possible solution, if in an area where you have no phone service, try wifi for your data connection.

At the least, you can get your routing, and begin your trip, and when you get service, it will begin actively navigating ...

Google maps has no dedicated satellite ... The GPS constellation is available for the public domain.

OP
M

maxnicks

Reaction score
I would stick with google maps. I say that's the best one.

If you run out of signal/3G, I don't think anything would work too well....:huh:

TeleNav will. CoPilot Live will. So will NDrive.

Does anybody use any of these 3 services? Are you happy with them?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Telenav won't help. It will continue if you wander into an area with no coverage but you're SOL if you start in an area with no coverage.

Try CoPilot (suggested above).

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what GPS to use to overcome my issue?
You might want to look around in the Apps subforum as well. This one gets far less traffic.

Google maps has a dedicated sattelite so i think the droid will have a better gps.
Uh no. Please provide a link. Google Maps uses the same GPS satellites that everyone else does. You can't determine location with a single satellite anyway.

There are several apps that store map data locally. Despite what many seem to think, Google Maps/Nav isn't the only GPS nav app on Android.

Last edited: