Real gps

grant614

Reaction score
Does anyone suggest an app or is it possible to obtain REAL GPS positioning with maps similar to Google Maps without having a cellular or Wi-Fi signal?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I wrong but I believe you can use the Google Maps with just the GPS.

OP
G

grant614

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I live in a rural area, and as long as I have a signal the GPS works great. However, when I am out of touch, so to speak, in the backcountry, I cannot get a GPS reading for my location.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Go to the market and download GPS Status. It displays all of the satellites in your area.

I have a Droid so my settings may be different but tap menu, tap location and when you are not in a good area uncheck the use wireless networks.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As long as you have your GPS enabled, your phone will default to GPS, not wireless. It can take a few seconds (up to a minute) for the GPS to lock, but it will eventually.

xliderider

Reaction score
As long as you have your GPS enabled, your phone will default to GPS, not wireless. It can take a few seconds (up to a minute) for the GPS to lock, but it will eventually.

I believe the problem the OP is having though is Google Maps needs a cellular signal to download the maps info to display.

As has been suggested, using GPS Status will give you a GPS position, but it won't show you on a map, where that is relative to other geographical features.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe the problem the OP is having though is Google Maps needs a cellular signal to download the maps info to display.
That's what it sounds like. It seems like the OP doesn't realize that GPS is GPS. However, a GPS app may require data for maps and so on. The GPS receiver and the app are 2 separate entities even though many people seem to lump them all together. The GPS receiver only needs line of sight to the GPS satellites. All it does is provide your location (latitude and longitude). Everything else is supplied by the GPS app.

Try another GPS app. For car nav with locally stored maps you can try Copilot Live or a similar GPS app. For other GPS usage such as backcountry hiking, geocaching or tracking a different app may be better suited. The OP isn't very clear regarding intended use.