What do you think of Google Voice for Android

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You are right Matt, the integration between GVoice and GMail is very lacking. I would expect that to get better shortly but who knows.

As for per minute charges when using GV voice mail....I would think you would need your GV number added to your friends and family list to avoid any charges.

Whoa, are we talking about the same Google Gmail that I used before? Because when I tried it I said, "Far Out."

It easily searched for a contact and then I just dialed a number and bam, there I was talking to my brother in Nashville. Gave me a choice to call his cell or GV number. I was very impressed.

And this is still in Beta. Maybe still better things to follow.

Remember when you had to get a microphone and stick it on your computer and use telephony to make a call? This is light years ahead of that.
Wait Hook, talk to me like I'm a 4-year-old. I've got a thick skull, and need to hear slowly:

Are you saying you did it all in the Gmail interface? Or instead, did you start with a contact search in the Google Voice interface? For me, it only works the way you described it, if (1) I search in Voice, (2) click on call, then (3) switch over to Gmail to make the call. It's a tiny switch, but clunky nonetheless. If you did all that within one interface or the other I'd like to figure it out!

-Matt

psrumors

Reaction score
You are right Matt, the integration between GVoice and GMail is very lacking. I would expect that to get better shortly but who knows.

As for per minute charges when using GV voice mail....I would think you would need your GV number added to your friends and family list to avoid any charges.

Whoa, are we talking about the same Google Gmail that I used before? Because when I tried it I said, "Far Out."

It easily searched for a contact and then I just dialed a number and bam, there I was talking to my brother in Nashville. Gave me a choice to call his cell or GV number. I was very impressed.

Remember when you had to get a microphone and stick it on your computer and use telephony to make a call? This is light years ahead of that.
Wait Hook, talk to me like I'm a 4-year-old. I've got a thick skull, and need to hear slowly:

Are you saying you did it all in the Gmail interface? Or instead, did you start with a contact search in the Google Voice interface? For me, it only works the way you described it, if (1) I search in Voice, (2) click on call, then (3) switch over to Gmail to make the call. It's a tiny switch, but clunky nonetheless. If you did all that within one interface or the other I'd like to figure it out!

-Matt

Matt....Hook is on to something

Look at your phone in Google Mail and see what it says in the # field it says "search or dial"

You can type a name of your contact in the field and it will bring up that contact with the option of their various numbers.

Thanks Hook! Somehow I missed this.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

-Matt

-Matt

Look at your phone in Google Mail and see what it says in the # field it says "search or dial"

You can type a name of your contact in the field and it will bring up that contact with the option of their various numbers.

As psrumors says, yep, once you download and install the software it's just as easy as making an email. Just load up the contact and dial away. Works pretty darn good.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :icon_evil:

Thanks for that, both of you. It NEVER occurred to me to type a NAME into the dialpad text box!!!!! I must be blind...it says "Search or Dial" and duh all I tried was dial.

OK, not clunky. Officially awesome. Beta or not.

-Matt

romeov

Reaction score
Wow, the misinformation about Google Voice on these forums is astounding.

You are getting charged for incoming and outgoing calls from Google Voice because that's how the service works. There never has been any sort of "free" calling using google voice ever. Until the integration not Gmail (from a PC for now) using VOIP, or the Friends and Family Hack.

I think it's so funny when I see people saying there's a bug in Google Voice because they are saying their Verizon minutes get used making calls. of course you are. That's how it's always been since day one. The friends and family think is just a hack and Google tried to get around it in the last update to stop it. You can still do it using an app, but still. it's a hack to try to cheat the system. (which,, I'm not against, I'm just saying, don't complain when it doesn't work heh)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, the misinformation about Google Voice on these forums is astounding.
It's certainly not just here. There are, however, a lot of good resources out there for people to reference (including GV's own help).