What do you think of App Inventor

asforel

Reaction score
Didn't see a thread on this, so I thought I'd give the heads up for all those folks out there who wanted to try their hands at developing for Android, but didn't really feel strong in Java. I just read a story about a new Google tool that looks like it's going to lead to loads more apps for us. App Inventor lets you create apps without having to know any code at all. On the downside we're probably going to see a bunch more crappy apps, but it'll let us create our own too. I don't know about you, but I'm definitely going to be playing around with this! Looks like you need to sign up for access, but hopefully it won't be too hard to get it.dancedroid

Skytile

Reaction score
I think they need to let me use this already! I've been waiting all day for the email... impatiently. I think I need to forget about it. But it looks like it'll be a fun challenge to try to figure out how to make my own apps. I'm really looking forward to it, though.

Of course, I don't really have much of an opinion on it, and I won't have one until I've been able to play around with it some. And so I wait....

ccartertn

Reaction score
Remember when FrontPage was cheap and everybody thought they could design their own web pages?
Thats what I'm afraid of.

CC

Skytile

Reaction score
I don't want it to put apps in the market, I just want to be able to make some apps for myself that I can't find in the market already.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I think its a great idea. I'm just worried that there will be alot of poorly written apps submitted into the market.. Hopefully not.

iPirate

Reaction score
I'm afraid of all the cat meow apps that will be released. :icon_eek:

It is being released to selected people, so that is good....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i think its a great idea, and although it might lead to an increaase in crappy apps, it'll also give people who have great ideas but no programming experience to create an amazing one! signed up, hope i get access!

Skytile

Reaction score
I feel like most people in the Android community that haven't already released crapps are intelligent enough to know that nobody else wants to use what they make, and they won't submit them to the market. That's my hope anyway....

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I feel like most people in the Android community that haven't already released crapps are intelligent enough to know that nobody else wants to use what they make, and they won't submit them to the market. That's my hope anyway....

Hmmm... On another note, I have bridge in Brooklyn I'd be willing to part with. Cheap. PM me.

CoolBreeze

Reaction score
For those concerned about more useless apps flooding the market. At the moment it DOES NOT provided any direct publishing to the market functionality. This however, doesn't prevent anyone from not taking the final apk and then publishing it to the market, but for most non-programmers or fairly tech minded individuals they probably won't know this.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
For those concerned about more useless apps flooding the market. At the moment it DOES NOT provided any direct publishing to the market functionality. This however, doesn't prevent anyone from not taking the final apk and then publishing it to the market, but for most non-programmers or fairly tech minded individuals they probably won't know this.

Again, whether there are 100,000 or 1M useless apps on the market, I don't see how that makes a material difference. You already have to be relatively savvy in searching and discerning what you download. I really have no issues searching for pretty specific uses and reading some quick comments and ratings on a handful of apps to find the best ones.

Also, I think if people are able to develop something useful, an upload could be beneficial as a real programmer might grab it and improve on it and then we have something we didn't have before.

But my gut feeling is this is going to be little more than a novelty and probably offer nothing we aren't already doing with metamorph, alt home launchers and custom roms. My suspicion is this is a way for google to bring some rooted capabilities to non-rooted users.

rmcray08

Reaction score
I'm extremely excited about App Inventor. While it very well may lead to a flood of useless apps, I'm convinced it will also produce some incredible app ideas.

I have to believe there are many people out there with some great ideas for apps who lack the technical know-how to develop a raw app and who are unwilling or unable to learn Android's language.

I'm all for anything that unlocks creative potential and increases interest in the Android platform.