Google Releasing DIY "App Inventor" - App Creation Tool

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OK, it took almost two months but I'm finally on board. I thought this message in the welcome email was informative:

" Remember the Beta Tag:
App Inventor is currently available as an invitation-based beta product. We are limiting access in order to ensure that our systems can handle the load. As a beta product App Inventor still has rough edges and missing features. In some cases the rough edges include un-pleasantries such as: installing Windows device drivers, installing Java on your computer, and fiddling with settings on your phone. We are working hard to smooth out the rough edges and we appreciate your use of App Inventor while we are in this beta state. It may sound a bit cliche but it really is true, your use of App Inventor today will help us make it better for the future! Now on to the good stuff."

-Matt

Vitticeps

Reaction score
When did you guys that got the invite sign up? I signed up months ago and still no go. :(

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I wanna say it was early to mid august? Just got my invite 3-4 days ago.

droid_mike

Reaction score
When did you guys that got the invite sign up? I signed up months ago and still no go. :(

I was on the verge of giving up, too, but then I got it a couple of days ago as well! So, don't be totally discouraged. I signed up one week after the announcement.. and then, being impatient, I signed up again about a month after with the same email address. I figured I must have bumped myself towards the back of the queue... or maybe not...

Don't give up hope, yet!

BTW, it's pretty darn cool!! :icon_ banana:

droidedin

Reaction score
I was about to give up hope of ever getting my invite. I signed up right after the announcement but still no invite. This gives me hope though.

The same thing happened with Google voice. After months of waiting I finally got my invite.

Google is the king of building anticipation.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Big Ry

Reaction score
I got my invite like 1-2 weeks ago and FINALLY got around to using it. The interface is a little odd, took some getting used to. The puzzle pieces think is convenient but I feel like its possibilities are limited. I made an app real quick with a "click me" button and a picture of amelioration esteves (spelling?) With a caption saying "you're a homo". And when u click the button, it texts "you're a homo" to my best friends number lol :)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I got my invite like 1-2 weeks ago and FINALLY got around to using it. The interface is a little odd, took some getting used to. The puzzle pieces think is convenient but I feel like its possibilities are limited. I made an app real quick with a "click me" button and a picture of amelioration esteves (spelling?) With a caption saying "you're a homo". And when u click the button, it texts "you're a homo" to my best friends number lol :)
Interesting. Since I'm a pretty liberal, but not PC guy, that app doesn't really offend me. But I'm betting your post gets pulled by a mod (probably for good reason) in the next 5 minutes. :)

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Its no negative thing. It was an internet joke years back... :/ my bad
NONOnonononnonono...it's locker room humor and it's totally mild at that. Just not PC for a forum. Maybe I'm wrong...maybe people will take it in a light-hearted way.

-Matt

Big Ry

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not on this forum enough To know how strict the mods are. But no harm intended regardless.

If I could figure out how to edit posts on DFs mobile site, I'd correct edit it now :/

Gnatman1102

Reaction score
After waiting about 2 months, I finally received the App Inventor invite. I proceeded with the install following the directions from the link in the invite. Got my PC, which is run by Vista. I then connected my Droid X to the USB port with USB debugging selected.

Apparently, the ADB driver that came with the package is not up to date for the Droid X because I cannot get my computer to install the driver or recognize. I searched this site and other forums and found links to a SDK manager program, which was a bit confused about. Followed directions with it, but still no luck.

Appreciate any help!