What Android apps will you download/transfer to ThunderBolt?

Reaction score
What are the most useful Android apps for ThunderBolt?

What apps will all of you be downloading or transferring from your old Android phone once the Thunderbolt is finally released? What do you think are the "must-have, get right away" apps? What is the best or your favorite in a particular category listed below, and why? I will try to rank/add/delete as I have a chance to test some of them out or get feedback.

Tools/Utilities:
(Root users only) - SetCPU, Titanium Backup Pro, Root Explorer, ROM Manager, CacheMate, Wireless Tether, AdFree Android, AutoKiller Memory Optimizer, Autostarts, etc.
Task killer??? - Advanced Task Killer, TasKiller, ES Task Manager, Advanced Task Manager, etc. - (not necessary anymore on newest versions of Android, can cause more harm than good, use back key instead of home key to exit apps)
CPU/app monitoring
- (1) Watchdog Task Manager Lite, (2) SystemPanelLite - (alerts you to "runaway" processes/"rogue" apps)
App organizer - Apps Organizer, Folder Organizer Lite
Settings/toggle/system info
- (1) Elixir, (2) Quick Settings, (3) Toggle Settings/Profiles Lite
4G/LTE toggle - (1) LTE OnOFF Team AndIRC, (2) Network (Mangelow), (3) Phone Info, (4) 4G/LTE Toggle (not released yet)
Automate settings - Tasker
Battery conservation
- (1) JuiceDefender + Ultimate Juice!, (2) Battery Booster, (3) Battery Doctor, (4) Green Power, etc.
Battery indicator - (1) Battery Left, (2) BatteryTime Lite, (3) BatteryLife, (4) Battery Widget, etc.
Volume control
- AudioManager Widget
File manager
- (1) ES File Explorer, (2) ASTRO File Manager
Backup/restore - MyBackup Pro, AppMonster, SMS Backup +, etc.
Memory management - App 2 SD Free + aCCleaner
Mobile security/anti-virus
- (1) Lookout, (2) Anti-Virus Free (AVG), (3) Antivirus Free (Creative), (4) Dr.Web Light
Find lost phone
- Wheres My Droid
Communication:

Google
- Voice Search, Gesture Search, Goggles, etc.
Browser alternative - (1) Dolphin Mini, (2) Opera Mini, (3) Dolphin HD, (4) Skyfire
Email
- K-9 Mail
Contacts/dialer
- GO Contacts
Quick text input
- (1) Swype (beta, non-market), (2) SlideIT, (3) Swiftkey
Text messaging - (1) Handcent SMS, (2) GO SMS, (3) chompSMS
Instant messaging/chat - (1) eBuddy, (2) Go!Chat (for Facebook), (3) Nimbuzz, (4) Meebo
Video calling - (1) Skype, (2) Tango, (3) Fring, (4) ooVoo
Visual voice mail - (1) Visual Voicemail Plus, (2) HulloMail
Social networking
- Seesmic, TweetDeck, TWIDROYD, TweetCaster, twicca, Plume
Forums - Tapatalk, Droid Forums, XDA-Developers
News - Pulse News Reader, USA Today, CNN, Engadget, NYTimes, CNET News, msnbc, Fox, NPR, CBS, Yahoo!, etc.
App search/discovery - AppBrain, AppAware, Appsfire, Chomp, StumbleUpon, Essential Apps Guide
Multimedia:
Music player - (1) doubleTwist, (2) PowerAMP, (3) WinAmp, (4) MixZing, (5) 3 (aka "Cubed")
Streaming radio - (1) Pandora, (2) TuneIn
Stream music from PC - (1) Audiogalaxy, (2) Subsonic
Song recognition - (1) SoundHound, (2) Shazam
Video player - Act 1, RockPlayer Lite, arcMedia, Meridian, etc.
Photo editing/effects - PicSay, FxCamera, Vignette, Photoshop, Color FX/Pop!, PhotoFunia, Photaf 3D Panorama
Image Viewer
- QuickPic
Productivity:
Online file storage
- Dropbox
Note taking - (1) Evernote, (2) Springpad, (3) Catch Notes
Personal organizer
- Jorte
Calendar
- Android Agenda Widget, Smooth Calendar, Pure Calendar Widget, Touch Calendar, etc.
To-do list
- Astrid
Grocery shopping list - OurGroceries, Out of Milk, OI Shopping List, Grocery iQ
Weather - (1) Weather Channel, (2) WeatherBug
Alarm clock - (1) Alarm Clock Plus, (2) AlarmDroid, (3) Alarm Clock Extreme, (4) Gentle Alarm
Personalization:
Wallpapers - (1) Backgrounds, (2) Zedge, (3) Flikie, (4) MultiPicture Live Wallpaper, (5) Thunderstorm, (6) Jumpgate, (7) City at Night, (8) Best Matrix, (9) Galactic Core, etc.
Ringtones - (1) RingDroid, (2) MP3 Ringtone Maker, (3) Ringtone Maker, (4) Zedge, (5) MabiloWidgets - Widgetsoid, Widget Locker
Recreation:
Sports
- (1) SportsTap, (2) ESPN ScoreCenter, (3) Yahoo! Live Scores, etc.
Restaurants - Yelp, Urbanspoon, Yellow Pages, OpenTable, Coupons, Foodspotting, Happy Hours, etc.
In the car - Vlingo, MyCar Locator, Car Home, Car Mode, Trapster, GasBuddy, ShowNearby, Where, Poynt, Aloqa, etc.
Golf GPS - (1) SkyDroid, (2) FreeCaddie
Guitar - Guitar Solo Lite, Robotic Guitar, Chords!, Guitar Hero, Ultimate Guitar Tabs, Tuner-gStrings Free, JamBox, Basic Chords, RockOut, etc.
For fun - Dirty Jokes, Funny Jokes, Urban Dictionary, Blurt, Drinking Games, Pick Up Lines, Useless Facts, etc.
Movies
- (1) Movies (Flixster), (2) IMDb, (3) Fandango
Games:
Emulators
- Emulator ROMs, ROM Gripper, NESoid, Gensoid, SNESNoid, N64oid, FPse, psx4droid, etc.
Paid games - (Gameloft.com), Slice the Wire
Free Games
- Angry Birds, Robo Defense, WordFeud (or Words with Friends), Live Holdem Poker Pro, Labyrinth, NinJump, Tank Hero, Gun Bros, Crazy Snowboard, Stupid Zombies, Air Attack HD Lite, Super KO Boxing 2, Armored Strike Online, Tower Raiders, Guns'n'Glory, etc.

Note - If you think you know of a better related app not mentioned, please name it and elaborate as to why you think it is better.

Last edited:

wedge40

Reaction score
With tiered data pricing (Maybe) I'm surprised you dont have a data usage app listed. Or did I miss it?

razng2grtboys

Reaction score
This will be my first smart phone. Is it normal to have so many apps? Can you rank these in the order of most important to you to least important? Where do you get the apps from?

georgek

Reaction score
This will be my first smart phone. Is it normal to have so many apps? Can you rank these in the order of most important to you to least important? Where do you get the apps from?

You get them from the Android Market. It's already on the phone when you get it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

shaylinlea

Reaction score
How exactly do you transfer apps? I have an OG Droid and a Macbook. Do people usually do this on a pc? Would I need third party software or is it possible to transfer apps from phone to phone? Waiting for the Thunderbolt to come out...

Canefan

Reaction score
Same question here. I know I can download all of my apps from the market, but how can I retain data? I'd hate to have to start over with Angry Birds. I currently have a rooted Droid and use Titanium Backup, but that won't help me with a stock Thunderbolt.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

shaylinlea

Reaction score
Ahh, so the market will recognize I have already downloaded/purchased an app with a new phone?

Haloman800

Reaction score
Any apps you've downloaded you've downloaded on your first phone are linked to your Google account, simply sign in with the same account on your new phone and they will automatically download all the apps you had on your first phone (That you got from the Market).

Canefan

Reaction score
Any apps you've downloaded you've downloaded on your first phone are linked to your Google account, simply sign in with the same account on your new phone and they will automatically download all the apps you had on your first phone (That you got from the Market).

Yes, I understand that but what about the data that is associated with the app? Many apps (games especially) have data that shows the progress you have made with the game. Another app Walletpro that I use has important information as well that I would hate to reenter. Titanium backup let's you restore apps only or apss + data but its only for rooted phones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sleeve

Reaction score
If you don't have a way to copy microSD cards using your computer, pop out the 32gb that comes with the TB and pop in the microSD card from your current Droid. If you do, copy your data from your current SD card onto your computer, switch to the SD card from the TB, and copy everything there.

Most current apps have been built during the days of 512mb internal memory devices, and they save their data on the SD card or they get rated down and/or uninstalled.

Regarding the OP, I'm going to use everything I use now, the device really doesn't matter. The changes I'm going to feel most are more internal storage and a front facing camera. I'll go looking for a video chat app if Skype fails us. I'll likely reinstall a few nice to have apps that I uninstalled because I ran out of room on my D1.

Reaction score
Is it normal to have so many apps?

a big +1 on the number of loaded apps. Currently have a bbstorm2 and if I load anything other than email and FB, it crashes the crap outta my phone. And I'm not talking about running apps either, just installed on the phone.

If the TB gets here soon, and I can have multiple running apps, I'm not going to know what to do with myself.

Raptor007

Reaction score
Actually this is a good thread question. For me I have about 160 apps saved at appbrain.com and I will be going through those to make sure I don't want anything to d/l.

On a side note this thread is pointing out some new apps I had not heard of before, so thank you.:)

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score

No, this is just a non-exclusive list to help show people what's good out there, I will not have all of these, especially multiple apps in the same category. I am just trying to figure out what the most crucial and useful apps are, and what the best apps are for each category. No, I will not rank them, it is a matter of personal preference depending on your needs and wants. I will try to trim down the choices and change the order once I get a chance to explore some of them more. And obviously this is not an end-all be-all list, there are some great apps that I left off simply because I personally do not plan on using them, or I would rather use my computer for that purpose (ie. where a keyboard and big screen is helpful).

Last edited:

detox

Reaction score
Canefan,

Just grab titanium backup and backup all your apps and data. From you SD card drag you titanium backup file to your desktop and when you get your new device drag that titanium backup file to you SD card and when you install that app all of you data will appear. I've done this numerous times with absolutely no problems whatsoever. You will have to restore that data manually within the app