What...am I doing wrong?

thelion

Reaction score
So I (finally) have some time tonight and thought...hmmm...let's root this badboy, no?

So, I find the Rom I want. I do my backup, I rename the file "update.zip" (no, it is not update.zip.zip).

I go to install and get told

"E:can’t open /sdcard/update.zip"

So, I redownload the file, make sure it is in the right location and try again.

What the sam hill!? Any ideas?

No, I'm not on a mac.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostMan

Reaction score
So I (finally) have some time tonight and thought...hmmm...let's root this badboy, no?

So, I find the Rom I want. I do my backup, I rename the file "update.zip" (no, it is not update.zip.zip).

No, I'm not on a mac.

What recovery are you on? I assume SPRecovery since you are renaming it to update.zip. You are placing the file on the root of your sd card correct, ie not in any folder but on top directory.

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
You are correct on both counts. I am trying again for good measure. Third times the charm, right?

mentaloaf

Reaction score

No, I'm not on a mac.

Are you rooted yet? I think just because you have sprecovery flashed doesn't mean you have root, and you can't just take any rom and rename it and flash it if you aren't rooted yet. Sorry if I'm wrong but at the beginning of your post it sounds like you got some free time so you'd like to root your phone, but then you say "find the rom I want, etc..." But did you put the superuser file on the root of your sd card yet? Can't do any of this if you haven't done that..

cb3FSU

Reaction score
also could be a bad file. Ive spent hours looking for reason why my installation failed when all I had to do was find a working file.

eliassami5

Reaction score
give us some more info on how you rooted your phone. Did you flash a 2.0.1 SBF recovery with RSD lite? If not then how did you root? Do you have a superuser ninja in your app drawer to indicate that you do have root? Are you sure the ROM you downloaded was a full ROM and not just a skin? (prob wouldn't matter cuz even if it wasnt a full ROM it would still have ran the update.zip)
Are you sure the specific ROM you are using needs to be installed via SPRecovery? maybe they want you to use clockworkmod to install the ROM.

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
Thanks :) Done. It seems my tech ability ends at being able to download an entire file. Either that or I got distracted and didn't realize it never quite completed.

Don't blame me. It is the 4th. That counts as an excuse, right?