Well I just rooted my phone, now what?

jchammer123

Reaction score
The very first thing you need to do is flash a custom recovery and make an immediate backup, then you can start flashing roms and overclocking and stuff like that.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
First thing you should do is perform a nandroid backup - then it all depends on what you want ... custom ROM, custom kernel perhaps a theme (or all of the above :biggrin:).

If you're after a custom ROM, I say browse the threads and see what kinda of features grab your attention. Then go buck wild ;)

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
As stated...definitely make the backup in CWR and then enjoy yourself and have fun!

Congrats on the root!

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
yeah i already made a backup immediately after the root process.

not sure i want a custom rom quite yet... i just installed widgetlocker lockscreen, so i might fool around with some theming for awhile..

what are some other "strong" theming apps that require root access, or just strong in general (that might not require root access)

but what i would like to do is be able to Teether my 3g/4g connection to my laptop, isnt that possible now that I am rooted (without paying verizon extra..) - i am on an unlimited data plan already???

Last edited:

jchammer123

Reaction score
Yeah it's possible. There are apps in the market for it.

mach330

Reaction score
not sure i want a custom rom quite yet... i just installed widgetlocker lockscreen, so i might fool around with some theming for awhile..

but what i would like to do is be able to Teether my 3g/4g connection to my laptop, isnt that possible now that I am rooted (without paying verizon extra..) - i am on an unlimited data plan already???

yep..wifi tether (either beta9 or latest pre110 version should work). Also a lot of roms out there has it built it (using the hotspot feature) I believe.

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
yep..wifi tether (either beta9 or latest pre110 version should work). Also a lot of roms out there has it built it (using the hotspot feature) I believe.

which one do i use? i searched 'wifi tether' in the market, and there are a bunch that return with that title

TSXXX

Reaction score
You could flash the gummynex rom. It comes with the tether built in. Make sure to flash the gaaps as well. Do a data/cache wipe before you flash them though via cwr.

Sent from my GummyNex :)

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
How do I configure widget locker? I can't figure out how to change it around once inside tool mode

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
what is the best "on click" method for Wifi Tethering? When I am at my girlfriends house, there is NO internet, so I would like to tether my 4g connection to the laptop - but am looking for a very simple solution, where the laptop will see the device/signal easily - halp!!

and also is there a way to "share" between my phone and pc over a Wifi connection? its annoying to plug in the USB everytime..

Last edited:

jchammer123

Reaction score
There's a bunch of wireless tether apps in the market if you're rooted.

jchammer123

Reaction score
which is the best though, and simplest, lightweight

I'm assuming you're rooted. If so, the one I used to use is called wireless tethering in the market that worked great. Or you could install a rom that already has it built in.