Webtop without accessories?

Arekku

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it will be possible for the bionic to run the webtop interface without shelling out $40/100/300? Just use the basic HDMI interface and enable webtop. Shouldn't it be that easy (possibly with a mod or something) or do the accessories actually have something in them that webtop needs, and not just a chip that says "Start webtop".

This would be great so we wouldn't have to shell out $40 minimum to use this feature. (which is what Motorola wants us to do)

baniels

Reaction score
It would be nice. At least they have the $40 option for us normal people that already have a laptop and don't need the big one.

darkmatter

Reaction score
You can connect bluetooth mouse and keyboard to the d3 (I would assume you can bionic as well). When you do so, you get a cursor for the mouse.that with hdmi might be what you're looking for. Its not webtop, but close.

I wonder if this a moto or android thing. If moto only, maybe the mouse/keyboard drivers for webtop works outside of webtop.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the webtop adapter might contain flash memory that actually holds the webtop OS (a Linux distro). In other words, I believe it may not be a simple port replicator, but rather a flash drive/port replicator combo. Otherwise, I can think of absolutely NO reason why it would be needed.

Snow02

Reaction score
I'm thinking that the webtop adapter might contain flash memory that actually holds the webtop OS (a Linux distro). In other words, I believe it may not be a simple port replicator, but rather a flash drive/port replicator combo. Otherwise, I can think of absolutely NO reason why it would be needed.

You'd be wrong. It's on the phone.

joebetsill

Reaction score

It's needed to get you to spend at least $30 to unlock the full potential of the phone you've already paid at least $250 for. :/

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

skaman9876

Reaction score
The one guy figured it out with his cardock hack where he modded his existing cardock and added an micro hdmi to it and it now gives him the webtop option. So it is possible but just curious if there are other ways around it.

darkmatter

Reaction score
Confirmed, you can hook up a bluetooth mouse and keyboard (yes,multiple devices).

This thing could be a desktop replacement for most people.

BlueSami

Reaction score
Confirmed, you can hook up a bluetooth mouse and keyboard (yes,multiple devices).

This thing could be a desktop replacement for most people.

Which mouse and keyboard do you have

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

darkmatter

Reaction score
I first got a random mouse/keyboard combo, rocketfish ($20for both). The mouse paired just fine, but I couldn't get keyboard to pair. So I got the motorola xoom/atrix keyboard. It paired fine, then I tried the mouse while the keyboard was connected, and it worked. Then I verified both were working, used the mouse to open up a text message, then started typing. Score!

BlueSami

Reaction score
I first got a random mouse/keyboard combo, rocketfish ($20for both). The mouse paired just fine, but I couldn't get keyboard to pair. So I got the motorola xoom/atrix keyboard. It paired fine, then I tried the mouse while the keyboard was connected, and it worked. Then I verified both were working, used the mouse to open up a text message, then started typing. Score!

Nice ill have to check that out.

Rude374

Reaction score
I just paired up my Logitech DiNovo Keyboard and Mouse no problem.... works fine. I'm going to pick up an HDMI cable later today to play around with. The only hitch is that it doesn't prompt you to enter the pin on the keyboard. When the phone prompt you for a pin do it then enter the same pin + <enter> on the keyboard and then it says 'Connected to HID' in the bluetooth manager and its all set.

Rudy

mp3ster

Reaction score
It seems all you have to do is have the hdmi and power adapter plugs in to get webtop to function.

jacobrv

Reaction score
No, that's definitely not doing it for me. I just tried because i was super hopeful that something that simple would do it. Now the regular dock + hdmi cable maybe, but just charger + hdmi, doesn't look like it.

skaman9876

Reaction score
I was just looking through clockwork mod recovery... and on the menu for Mounts and Storage there is an option to /mount Webtop.... I haven't played around with it but i wonder if this would at all help our journey of accessing Webtop without hacking up one or both of our docks.