Ways to retain unlimited data plan

beefchopper

Reaction score
That wasn't transferring the contract though, just the equipment. You were renewing that 5th line for another 2 years and your line was not affected other than getting a new device.

What supposedly happened here was an upgrade was done at a discount on a basic line, the equipment was moved and the contract/upgrade date were moved as well. While possible for someone to manually change these dates, you needed supervisor level access and a documented reason showing you were correcting an error.

I wonder if the basic line still shows eligible for upgrade and near the end of its contract.

I apologize for being dense but am having trouble following this and want to make sure I understand it exactly. It seems like what is being said is you can use and upgrade to add the new smartphone to a dumb phone line, thereby extending the contract and adding data to that line. Then the smartphone can be moved to the exiting smartphone line that has unlimited data and the dumb phone can be put back on the original dumb phone line. And then the data which was added to the dumb phone line could be cancelled. Is that all correct?

If it is correct, can all of that be done at the Verizon store (or online) at the same time? Does there have to be some sort of time delay between when you buy the new smartphone and activate it on the former dumb phone line, switch it to the old unlimited data phone number, reactivate the original dumb phone on the old dumb phone line AND/OR cancel the new data plan added to the dumb phone line? If not, what spacing in time has to happen enbtween these steps and who ahs to make them all happen, someone in the stores or someone at Verizon? Thanks.

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
It was alot easier at the store. The reps online had no idea what I was talking about. You need a savy rep.

This is what we did.

1. Use upgrade from other basic line to purchase Maxx HD at discounted price.
2. Activate Maxx HD on basic line.
3. Move Maxx HD and contract to line that has unlimited data.
4. Re-activate basic phone on basic line.

Last edited:

beefchopper

Reaction score
It was alot easier at the store. The reps online had no idea what I was talking about. You need a savy rep.

This is what we did.

1. Use upgrade from other basic line to purchase Maxx HD at discounted price.
2. Activate Maxx HD on basic line.
3. Move Maxx HD and contract to line that has unlimited data.
4. Re-activate basic phone on basic line.

Thanks very much.
Did you do that all at the store at the same time (in the order you show)?
Did you need to have the basic phone with you at the store to reactivate it?
Did you then go back and cancel the data plan which was added to the basic phone and if so was that done at the same time or later?

richkev

Reaction score
Hmmm. So, I take it you need an open dumbphone line that continues on a 2 year contract? How much does that run/month?

vatothe0

Reaction score
I was able to view it from a computer.

Overall very strange that they did this since it completely sidesteps the requirement to change to tiered data when using an upgrade on an unlimited line.

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
Thanks very much.
Did you do that all at the store at the same time (in the order you show)?
Did you need to have the basic phone with you at the store to reactivate it?
Did you then go back and cancel the data plan which was added to the basic phone and if so was that done at the same time or later?

1. I did it all at the store.
2. No I did not.
3. When they re-activated the basic phone back on the basic line, the data plan was automatically removed.

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
Hmmm. So, I take it you need an open dumbphone line that continues on a 2 year contract? How much does that run/month?

$10 a month. Which is another option if you didn't have an extra line with an upgrade.

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
I was able to view it from a computer.

Overall very strange that they did this since it completely sidesteps the requirement to change to tiered data when using an upgrade on an unlimited line.

Seems like most of the employee's at that store know how to do it. Even the Manager.

Don't remember if I mentioned this, but the first phone I get was at full retail. They help me return the phone on paper and sell me back my phone at the discounted price. Great Customer Service.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Richkev & beefchopper, you can also do the same exact thing on a tiered data line. Key steps:
1. Use or move your eligible upgrade to a tiered data line or dumbphone line.
2. Buy and activate the new subsidized phone on the tiered or dumbphone line. This will update the two year contract on that line.
3. Once the tiered or dumbphone line is activated with new phone and contract updated, you can switch the new phone to your unlimited data line without it changing that data plan.

This can be done online, in store (although you may have to tell them that it does work that way because not all reps know what they're doing) or over the phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums