Ways to retain unlimited data plan

Reaction score
I have a account with a mix of multiple phones on it my phone # has a unlimited data plan. So when the note 2 comes out I was thinking I could order one online on one of the numbers with no data and pay the first $40 and then just cancel that data plan since it will never have the note 2 on it. According the verizon rep the data plan on effects the line the new phone is order on so my thinking is that this will work.

Last edited:

beefchopper

Reaction score
I have a account with a mix of multiple phones on it my phone # has a unlimited data plan. So when the note 2 comes out I was thinking I could order one online on one of the numbers with no data and pay the first $40 and then just cancel that data plan since it will never have the note 2 on it. According the verizon rep the data plan on effects the line the new phone is order on so my thinking is that this will work.

I'm not in a position to know whether or not that would work but it sounds like a good idea. My situation is exactly the same as yours so please let us know how it works out. Thanks.

coconutt

Reaction score
In order to keep your unlimited data plan, you have to buy the Note 2 in retail price (no plan). I think if you try to buy it for the # that doesn't have data, then they will offer you a data plan with it and I think it would be a bust because you would technically be upgrading that phone line. I hope I understood your post correctly at least, lol... but keep us updated!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Yes it will.

OP
P
Reaction score
In order to keep your unlimited data plan, you have to buy the Note 2 in retail price (no plan). I think if you try to buy it for the # that doesn't have data, then they will offer you a data plan with it and I think it would be a bust because you would technically be upgrading that phone line. I hope I understood your post correctly at least, lol... but keep us updated!

Yeah but you can cancel a data plan if the phone on that # isn't a smartphone.

Detonation

Reaction score
I'm in the same situation...went into a Verizon store recently and the rep confirmed I could do the following:

-Use upgrade on dumbphone line to get contract priced smartphone
-Move new smartphone to my line, put dumbphone back on upgraded line
-Cancel new data plan on upgraded line

So this will let you keep unlimited data since you're just switching a new phone to your line, no different than buying one retail or from ebay/etc.

tmal2

Reaction score
I'm in the same situation...went into a Verizon store recently and the rep confirmed I could do the following:

-Use upgrade on dumbphone line to get contract priced smartphone
-Move new smartphone to my line, put dumbphone back on upgraded line
-Cancel new data plan on upgraded line

So this will let you keep unlimited data since you're just switching a new phone to your line, no different than buying one retail or from ebay/etc.

It sounds good in theory but won't you be forced into a new contract because you got a subsidized phone?

steeletown

Reaction score
tmal2 said:
It sounds good in theory but won't you be forced into a new contract because you got a subsidized phone?
I recently did something similar except I added a line and got a GS3 on discount pricing, then switched the GS3 to my old line and put a dummy phone on the new line and kept my unlimited plan.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
tmal2 said:

Only the line that got the phone.

Droid101

Reaction score

Only the line with the dumbphone would have their contract extended not the line you move it to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Detonation

Reaction score

You're only signing a new contract on the dumbphone line, not the one with unlimited data. And that new contract won't force your family plan into the share everything plan, you can just choose the 2GB $30 plan for that line only, which you will cancel after putting the old phone back on the line. Once that's done, you're free to do whatever you want with the subsidized phone.

Frankly, I'm surprised they let you cancel the data plan on a new contract, but I'm not going to complain.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Detonation said:
Frankly, I'm surprised they let you cancel the data plan on a new contract, but I'm not going to complain.

Verizon only cares that they have you in a two year commitment.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
And the secret is to make sure you first activate the new phone on the tiered line. The new phone, first time the esn is activated will trigger the tiered contract. Once the new phone is activated on the tiered line and that contract is updated, then you can put that new phone on any line you want.