water damage to my droid, need advice please :(

alh08

Reaction score
last night when i went to go to the bathroom my droid was in my back pocket and fell in the toilet, it was mostly submerged for maybe a couple seconds, and there was only water in the toilet bowl, no urine.. but i took off my phone cover, my battery, the sim card and started drying it with a towell, i took a blow dryer on low and cool and went over it for a lil bit... i messed up using the blow dryer, and even worse i tried to turn it on a couple times --- but at first the screen was working but wouldnt stay on or load completely.. but its in rice right now, has been for almost 24 hours now, it lights up when i try to turn it on but the screen wont work..

should i keep it in rice for a few days and see if it works
ORR
go to verizon in the morning, tell them what happened, and pay the deductible.. i have insurance on it.
but will verizon even let me use insurance to replace it? you can clearly tell by the indicators that the phone got wet.. and i dont know what to do.. is the deductible $100?
if anyone has any advice or can answer my questions i would really apprieciate it

Bro KV

Reaction score
You shouldn't of turned it on till you were sure it was dry. The rice in a bag and stick it on the dash of the car works. Do you have the insurance that covers anything?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can try the rice thing but insurance is probably still going to be your best bet. Yes, Asurion covers liquid damage...as long as you don't say that you don't know how it got wet (Not sure why). The deductible is $89 + tax...or something like that. Comes out to $95...better than dishing out $500+ for another one though! :)

last night when i went to go to the bathroom my droid was in my back pocket and fell in the toilet, it was mostly submerged for maybe a couple seconds, and there was only water in the toilet bowl, no urine.. but i took off my phone cover, my battery, the sim card and started drying it with a towell, i took a blow dryer on low and cool and went over it for a lil bit... i messed up using the blow dryer, and even worse i tried to turn it on a couple times --- but at first the screen was working but wouldnt stay on or load completely.. but its in rice right now, has been for almost 24 hours now, it lights up when i try to turn it on but the screen wont work..

should i keep it in rice for a few days and see if it works
ORR
go to verizon in the morning, tell them what happened, and pay the deductible.. i have insurance on it.
but will verizon even let me use insurance to replace it? you can clearly tell by the indicators that the phone got wet.. and i dont know what to do.. is the deductible $100?
if anyone has any advice or can answer my questions i would really apprieciate it

DroidForums junkie!

OP
A

alh08

Reaction score
i know, i was told after the fact not to try and turn it on so i probably messed my droid up even more by doing that..
and im pretty sure my insurance covers anything? i didnt know verizon offered different insurance plans? im on my parents plan but im trying to avoid telling them it fell in the toilet and just take care of this myself..

and should i just call asurion myself instead of going into verizon cause thats all they are going to do anyway right? is just give me the number for asurion, which i already have.. and when i call them i just tell them the truth like you said and not play dumb..
its my fault and carelessness that the phone got wet and i will gladly pay the $100 for a refurbished one, i sure as hell dont have $500 for a new one
thank you guys for responding so quickly too

danielleray

Reaction score
water damage

i have a droid 1 and it fell in the sink. it dried out and the water damage sticker does not show any damage. it will turn on but goes to a screen that says bootloader2c.7c battery ok ready to program. i can hold x while turning it on then hold the volume button and camera button but dont know what to do from there any help would be greatly appreciated

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
rice really wont help all that much its more of a myth then anything else.

this is the correct way to fix a wet droid or any portable electronic device.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/8539-how-deal-droid-thats-gotten-wet-right-way.html

I would have to disagree with you. My girlfriend is not the most careful person when it comes to electronics and I have used the rice method TWICE and her phones were back to working perfectly after a few days in the rice. The first time she dropped her phone in the sink and the blackberry screen had moisture stuck between the screen glass and the actual display and also all over the inside of her phone. I did not attempt to power it up but took the battery out and the sd card and surrounded the phone in a container of rice and stuck it in the window. Two days later there was no moisture whatsoever and the phone worked flawlessly.

Second time she left her phone by the sink while doing dishes and the cat jumped on the counter and knocked it into the water. It was a few minutes before she noticed it. Did the exact same thing this time only waited 3 days because it was in the water longer. After the three days took it out, powered it on, and flawless screen and operation.

You can say it is a myth but that is just your opinion. If you search for this you will find many, many examples that it does work. I understand why you posted the link you did but to me I just don't understand putting a phone that fell in liquid in more liquid. But if it works for you then more power to ya.

danielleray

Reaction score
reproogram

I have it dried and bought new battery. When I put battery in it says battery good ready to program how do I reprogram it so I can use phone again. Don't want to go back to my blackberry

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
rice really wont help all that much its more of a myth then anything else.

this is the correct way to fix a wet droid or any portable electronic device.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/8539-how-deal-droid-thats-gotten-wet-right-way.html

I would have to disagree with you. My girlfriend is not the most careful person when it comes to electronics and I have used the rice method TWICE and her phones were back to working perfectly after a few days in the rice. The first time she dropped her phone in the sink and the blackberry screen had moisture stuck between the screen glass and the actual display and also all over the inside of her phone. I did not attempt to power it up but took the battery out and the sd card and surrounded the phone in a container of rice and stuck it in the window. Two days later there was no moisture whatsoever and the phone worked flawlessly.

Second time she left her phone by the sink while doing dishes and the cat jumped on the counter and knocked it into the water. It was a few minutes before she noticed it. Did the exact same thing this time only waited 3 days because it was in the water longer. After the three days took it out, powered it on, and flawless screen and operation.

You can say it is a myth but that is just your opinion. If you search for this you will find many, many examples that it does work. I understand why you posted the link you did but to me I just don't understand putting a phone that fell in liquid in more liquid. But if it works for you then more power to ya.

no i have done a side by side test with two blackberry storms... put them both in a glass of water for 15 seconds then let one sit on the counter for 3 days and the other in rice for 3 days... both worked fine after the three days. So a phone sitting on the counter for a few days will give the same effect as putting it in rice.

mewshi

Reaction score
I have it dried and bought new battery. When I put battery in it says battery good ready to program how do I reprogram it so I can use phone again. Don't want to go back to my blackberry
*228 to reprogram the phone, if that's what you're looking for.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

townieone

Reaction score
My Droid had its first Heineken

...and it liked it.

While at a football game my Droid attempted a swan dive right into a 20 oz. Heineken. Luckily, Droids are notoriously bad at platform diving and didn't go straight in. It hit the rim of the cup and knocked it over.

After sheepishly recovering the dripping wet phone I wiped the beer off it and pulled the battery while holding it right side up to keep the beer out. After the game I went straight to a CVS store and bought a Damp Rid tub (desiccant for damp closets for $2.50) and put it in a gallon ziplock bag. After two days I was sure it was dried out. Desiccant will beat rice any day.

The keyboard slide is a little sticky from the dried beer, but I can live with it. I don't want to tempt fate by dunking it in alcohol.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Did you get a fix? If not, you'll have to try to flash a full SBF onto your phone. I can provide links and instructions if you need them.

Stevennickel

Reaction score
i have a droid 1 and it fell in the sink. it dried out and the water damage sticker does not show any damage. it will turn on but goes to a screen that says bootloader2c.7c battery ok ready to program. i can hold x while turning it on then hold the volume button and camera button but dont know what to do from there any help would be greatly appreciated
if your droid got messed up in water and your red x's havent bled on the battery... TAKE IT BACK! you've got the perfect recipe for a new droid replacement. you won't have to pay a deductible either. dancedroid