Warranty Replacement Droid and Back-Up

mike3611

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had their Droid replaced and if they could answer a few questions. Are they able to create the same image on your new Droid, such as apps installed on previous Droid? Are they able to transfer all data from one Droid to another? I know that the SD Card can be switched between phones, but I am talking about the internal memory. Thank you.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
All contacts and paid apps are stored on the Cloud (Google) they will return to the new phone. You will have to set them back up and your home screens....

viperboy

Reaction score
We can only move over contacts, pictures, and videos. That's it.

thelion

Reaction score
Apps transfer during setup. Some people had to do some extra work for paid apps but they will all come back. Contacts and free apps should come back automagically. My custom background was also always right there waiting for me :)

OP
M

mike3611

Reaction score
The post under yours from "thelion" says that the apps are able to be transferred. I understand that you're a Tech, but why would only his phone be able to transfer applications and no one else can do so?

thelion

Reaction score
thelion is not a he. I am a she.

Nevertheless, it is not just my phone. Google syncs the apps and when you set up your gmail account on the new phone (use the same one you used on the old one) it will sync them over. I saw it do this three separate times.

I believe Viper is talking about data stored on the phone which is a bit different than apps.

OP
M

mike3611

Reaction score
My apologies MISS ha. Thanks for the input.

blazer

Reaction score
I received a replacement Droid due to cracking the screen. All I did was take the SD Card from the broke phone and put it in the new Droid... activated the phone.. used my gmail address at setup.. all contacts and calendars d/l'ed along with the paid Apps (Documents-To-Go and PicSay). Had to re load all the free apps... Set up my screens again. Not a big deal.. all is well now.

coolkidd

Reaction score
I received a replacement Droid due to cracking the screen. All I did was take the SD Card from the broke phone and put it in the new Droid... activated the phone.. used my gmail address at setup.. all contacts and calendars d/l'ed along with the paid Apps (Documents-To-Go and PicSay). Had to re load all the free apps... Set up my screens again. Not a big deal.. all is well now.

Good to know... I do not expect my Droid to be replaced anytime soon, but at least I feel comfortable now that my data will sync if I ever choose to replace mine.:)

Reaction score

To me this seems a pain in the a--! I think mybackup pro backs up everything but i havent tried it yet to know for sure. if i got a new droid for this reason or that i dont want to setup my home screens and shortcuts widgets etc etc again.

viperboy

Reaction score

To me this seems a pain in the a--! I think mybackup pro backs up everything but i havent tried it yet to know for sure. if i got a new droid for this reason or that i dont want to setup my home screens and shortcuts widgets etc etc again.

I have MyBackup Pro and thankfully I've only had to backup things so far. I would kinda doubt that it would backup the home screen though. Would be awesome if it did, has anyone had to do that?

thelion

Reaction score
For the record, your free apps *should* auto d/l. It just takes a few minutes. But you must MAKE SURE you use the same gmail address to setup the new phone as you did with the old phone or it will not work (obviously).

10ACTony

Reaction score

I have MyBackup Pro and thankfully I've only had to backup things so far. I would kinda doubt that it would backup the home screen though. Would be awesome if it did, has anyone had to do that?

MyBackup Pro does back up everything and lets you restore the apps in a new phone(free only to original phone that was backed up). But it's a pain in that, You have to go to settings and "Allow Unknown Sources". Then once they are all installed none show up in the market as being installed - hence you will not be notified that there are updates available. It's a great program outside of that.