*Wanted* The Best Battery life tips and reasons.

PeterCopper

Reaction score
Hi everyone im new to this forum, and i have a favor for all HTC droid incredible users out there. Can somebody(or many people) Provide a list of battery saving tips along with the good/bad effects that making the changes will occur?
I hope that this creates a culmination of the best battery saving tips so people can use this thread as a guideline to better battery life(kinda like an official user-made set of guidelines). Please respond back with your info if you have any. Thank you

Darkseider

Reaction score
Well the basics:

1. Set screen brightness to lowest.
2. Turn off Wifi/Bluetooth/GPS through widget when not using them.
3. Do not use a task killer/process killer/auto task killer they generally cause more harm than good.

Reaction score
In my experience you should turn off your GPS until it is needed and root your phone so you can underclock the CPU when it is in standby or sleep mode. This has helped my battery life dramatically.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The gps doesn't keep the phone from entering standby/dropping cpu speed.

Turning off always on data under mobile settings, under wireless and networks, under settings :)D) helps wioth battery life but can have some small side effects.

Side effects include:
Google talk connects/disconnects a lot.
Sense weather clock does not update settings correctly all the time (I've had it be sunny at 2 am in the morning).

kmo

Reaction score
So why is #3 (advance task killer) bad? Don't quite get it? Can someone please enlighten me on this subject. Seems like killing tasks from running in the background when not in use would be a positive thing.

Squintz82

Reaction score
So why is #3 (advance task killer) bad? Don't quite get it? Can someone please enlighten me on this subject. Seems like killing tasks from running in the background when not in use would be a positive thing.

From what I've found, and experienced, killing ALL apps is bad. Android has built in processes for apps that make them dormant or "sleep" in the background not using at CPU or battery. Then when you go back to this app, it hardly uses any CPU since it was already there. Re-opening apps each time you go to them can actually use MORE battery.

Now, coming from a Windows Mobile phone, I'm used to how Windows operates, which is completely different than the Android (Linux) OS. So immediately, I thought killing apps was better, but learned after many recommendations that not killing all apps actually saves battery life.

When I say killing ALL apps is bad, I mean there are some that I've found to auto kill (using TaskPanel) actually help. Some apps that use data in the background can actually cause more of a drain, so you have to do some testing to figure out if any apps you have running are using data. I don't recommend killing apps you use often (like mail) since restarting them often will cause more of a drain. Also, some people discovered that the stock Calendar app doesn't let the phone sleep for some reason. I have that set to auto kill, and my battery life has become much better.

But for the most part, apps can remain open in the background, and Android will handle them automatically if RAM is needed.

hookerdj

Reaction score
Get juice defender and ultimate juice they will improve batter y

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the beta testers said in another thread that Juice Defender as of right now does not work on CDMA phones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I use Advanced Task Killer, and it SAVES me battery life. You people can say all you want about it, but I noticed a huge difference when using it. Plus, it kills itself, so it's not running all the time- just when you want to kill apps.

Lynx

Reaction score
I use Advanced Task Killer, and it SAVES me battery life. You people can say all you want about it, but I noticed a huge difference when using it. Plus, it kills itself, so it's not running all the time- just when you want to kill apps.

This has been proven to be false many many many times.

OP
P

PeterCopper

Reaction score
Yea even I know now that app killers are a waste if time . I used advanced task manager and I killed apps all the time. then I started reading up on it and decided to delete it and guess what : EVERYTHING WAS THE SAME .from performance to battery life there's no difference. Cept i no longer have ocd. Also I noticed its kinda funny how in the anti app killer threads its all like intelligent and logical then in the pro app killer threats its all like "I kill apps all the time even the ones that keep coming back." And its like because it is a system task. Lol . U to kill apps all the time its under control

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

This has been proven to be false many many many times.

I can present you the exact opposite.

It really depends on the situation, and you cannot say its false if someone experiences something different from what you have read. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has proven anything either way.

OP
P

PeterCopper

Reaction score
well i understand that and there are certain situations in which it is appropriate. and if ur using the droid incredible then your situation should be pretty similar to mine, so why not just give it a try and see how it is without it. if i can do it so can you.