battery life tips

Alliecat8123

Reaction score
I am running gummyics on my droid x and my battery life is TERRIBLE. i bought a new battery and it's crap too, as well as an extended battery and I get about the same battery life as a normal battery. Any tips on how I can get my battery life to be longer?

leftspin

Reaction score
Start keeping wifi, 3G and GPS off at all times unless you're using them. Turn off auto brightness and set the screen brightness pretty low, most of the time you probably won't need it as bright as the auto brightness will make it. If you have a lot of homescreen widgets that are constantly updating themselves or using an internet connection those are also draining the battery.

You could also download the Android Overclock app on the Play Store (I think it costs 99 cents, well worth it in my opinion) and set some profiles to underclock and save battery. In case you're not familiar with overclocking/underclocking, it's speeding up or slowing down the CPU to either boost performance or save battery life. The app will allow you to set 'profiles' for different situations like when the battery reaches certain levels, times of the day and a few other things. I have 7 or 8 profiles set up for different situations.

Doing all that I get 24-30 hours to a charge on Gummy ICS

OP
A

Alliecat8123

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I keep my wifi and 3G off when I'm not using it, and keep my brightness very low. I searched the google play store and saw juice defender. Do you know if that would be helpful at all? From what I noticed in the reviews, it seemed similar to android overclock.

leftspin

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I keep my wifi and 3G off when I'm not using it, and keep my brightness very low. I searched the google play store and saw juice defender. Do you know if that would be helpful at all? From what I noticed in the reviews, it seemed similar to android overclock.

You don't want Juice Defender, it's got nothing to do with clocking haha. The biggest thing it does is shuts off your 3G or wifi when the screen is off, which can actually be pretty annoying if you're trying to download something or have data pushed to your device. Other than that, it's just an average task killer which you also don't want. Install Android Overclock or Milestone Overclock and set up some profiles, I would recommend underclocking when the battery gets below 50% and then underclocking further when it gets below 20%. I also have mine set to underclock slightly when the screen is off and when the CPU temperature gets too high