VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper & ICS OTA Failure

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
House of Bionic

start over with; SamuriHL's House Of Bionic SamuriHL's House Of Bionic - DroidRzr.com
"The House of Bionic was NEVER meant for n00bs to have a "one-click ____ up your phone method". It's designed for advanced users ONLY. " Have you used HoB? What was your experience? Maybe I'm a 'noob' that should stay on .905 and wait for a one-click solution. Ever since I rooted this device, EVERY upgrade has been a PIA. Thanks for your suggestion, sir.

droidvj

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
I uninstalled both Bootstrapper and VooDoo Rootkeeper and performed a battery pull. After reboot, I re-downloaded the .246 OTA. Failed again. Looks like I'm out of easy options.

Use the "Root Explorer" app to view the log file in the /cache/recover directory. Just long press on it and select "view as text". What error are you seeing near the end of the log file? If the install is getting about 1/3 of the way through then it could be a line saying relating to a MD5 checksum on some file doesn't match

jammasterkx2

Reaction score
"The House of Bionic was NEVER meant for n00bs to have a "one-click ____ up your phone method". It's designed for advanced users ONLY. " Have you used HoB? What was your experience? Maybe I'm a 'noob' that should stay on .905 and wait for a one-click solution. Ever since I rooted this device, EVERY upgrade has been a PIA. Thanks for your suggestion, sir.

I read the directions, downloaded the necessary files. Ran HOB.
I also rooted from there.

It really is easy.

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
Don't uninstall Voodoo OTA. Stay rooted. It will help you figure out what's wrong.
Thanks for your advice. I reinstalled VooDoo Rootkeeper, but haven't done anything with it. I'd do as you previously suggested in purchasing Root Explorer, but it doesn't make much sense to me to pay 4 or 5 bucks for something that I doubt I'd ever use again after getting through this tedious drudgery and grind to upgrade a phone's OS. I grumble because it is particularly irksome tha my lovely wife's Bionic is stock and never rooted and her phone just continues along its merry way. Thanks again.

Tony.The.Tiger

Reaction score
@madmako
I've had a very similar experience since Verizon pushed ICS last Sunday. In fact, I've also wondered if rooting, for the sake of Titanium Backup, is worth the trouble of these updates. It seems to take me 10-20 hours of reading posts, downloading software, watching youtube and rebooting, for every update. Yes. My wife's Droid 3 is also un-rooted and never give her a problem.
With regard to your problem, I just updated to ICS following sst45jeff's Guide to use RSDLite to install the .246 ICS FXZ - updated 10-24-2012. Everything went smoothly. In fact, I'm on this thread to find out more information on VooDoo Rootkeeper for some future Verizon update. I have not used it before; nor Bionic Bootstrapper. The description of VoodooOTARootKeeper.apk, in Google Play says it "doesn't support original Superuser and not SuperSU", both of which I have used.
Tomorrow, I will (hopefully) reinstall all my apps.
Good Luck with your update.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Thanks for your advice. I reinstalled VooDoo Rootkeeper, but haven't done anything with it. I'd do as you previously suggested in purchasing Root Explorer, but it doesn't make much sense to me to pay 4 or 5 bucks for something that I doubt I'd ever use again after getting through this tedious drudgery and grind to upgrade a phone's OS. I grumble because it is particularly irksome tha my lovely wife's Bionic is stock and never rooted and her phone just continues along its merry way. Thanks again.

Go to the link in my signature to use RSDLite to FXZ 246 & root it after. This will put you bacK to stock with 246 ICS on the phone as if it came straight from Motorola.
All the info is there on how to do it & root it after.

jellyhead

Reaction score
The update failed for me as well and I also had Voodoo Rootkeeper installed but I'm not sure that was the problem. The error log had this line:

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/gzip"

It doesn't seem that this would have anything to do with VooDoo Rootkeeper but I uninstalled it as well as any other possible problematic apps. It still wasn't working so I began trying any tips I found by google and deleting some recomended files. Eventually I uninstalled busybox which warned me that completely removing the app would result in a bootloop. Still unable to install the update I decided to try and completely remove busybox....the warning was correct, BOOTLOOP. After a couple of attempts to salvage my current state resulted in being stuck at the recovery menu. FXZing was the only option at that point and since I couldn't find a working link for 905 I FXZed to 902 and updated in 2 steps. Everything is working now but I still don't know what was causing the update error in the first place.

joebxr

Reaction score
Trying to use Voodoo OTA so I can install update n my Droid Bionic. Voodoo never gives me screen to allow root access? Phone is rooted, so I don't understand what I am doing wrong...and help would be appreciated.