ICS Update Preparation for Rooted Bionic

madmako

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I'm attempting to avoid ICS OTA update headaches, if that's possible. I only rooted in order to use Titanium Backup Pro.

I currently have Voodoo OTA RootKeeper, Bionic Bootstrapper (no idea what to do with it) along with Superuser. I've don't believe that I have removed any bloatware.

When I went to .905, I temporarily un-rooted with VooDoo but things still got ugly and thanks to the help of others (SargentMajord) I managed to get through it. All that hassle just to have a complete backup.

So, my question is should I do anything different before a VooDoo temporary un-root and cross my fingers?

Explicit recommendations and instructions are welcomed. Thanks!

Last edited:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Root doesn't affect OTA installs, you'll just have to re-root after the update. Bootstrap, Safestrap, deleting/modifying system apps will prevent OTAs from successfully installing.

If all you've done is root the phone (for Titanium Backup use) then you can just install the OTA update and then re-root the phone with Razrs_edge when the update is complete.

medic27

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Ok, so I am in the same boat as madmako. Is there a link to Razrs_edge for the re-root?

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your response. I have a few follow up questions:
1. Are you suggesting I first un-install Bionic Bootstrapper?
2. Do I proceed with a VooDoo temporary un-root before OTA?
3. What is Razrs_edge? Where do I get it? And when I get it, what do I do with it?

Thank you again.

N2Nuttin

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your response. I have a few follow up questions:
1. Are you suggesting I first un-install Bionic Bootstrapper?
2. Do I proceed with a VooDoo temporary un-root before OTA?
3. What is Razrs_edge? Where do I get it? And when I get it, what do I do with it?

Thank you again.

Did you get the update to install? I am in same boat as you are/were also. Just looking for some help to get me through this, as I am rooted, have bootstrap, no frozen apps, stock rom, never installed leak verisons of updates, temp unrooted with voodoo and the update still fails. Hoping someone can lead me in the right direction. Thanks!

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Did you get the update to install? I am in same boat as you are/were also. Just looking for some help to get me through this, as I am rooted, have bootstrap, no frozen apps, stock rom, never installed leak verisons of updates, temp unrooted with voodoo and the update still fails. Hoping someone can lead me in the right direction. Thanks!
You cant remove boot strap & get a succesful outcome with an OTA. Just back up your media & do the FXZ in the thread posted earlier by deduct.

Guide to use RSDLite to install the .246 ICS FXZ - updated 10-24-2012

The link to root the phone after is also there if you want to do that.