Update Preparation for Rooted Bionic with stock.902 ROM

seanohe

Reaction score
what constitutes bloat?

I removed some of the video apps and things like that and was stoked to do so. Do I need to restore all of those apps somehow? Is that even possible?

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
Are u bootstraped or safe strapped or have u edited the boot animation?

Okay, just to refresh....
I have .902.XT875
Bionic Bootstrapper
SuperUser
VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper
Titanium Backup Pro with Dropbox

This morning, I uninstalled Bionic Bootstrapper, remained un-rooted with VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper, did a battery pull, re-downloaded the update and it still failed. I'm at a loss, particularly since I attempted to avoid this problem well ahead of time.

Any other tricks short of a master reset? The last time I went thru this, I ended up getting another phone. All of this nonsense just so I could have a full Titanium Pro backup.

Any help is appreciated.

Suuperflie

Reaction score
I don't know why you're going through all this trouble. I'm rooted on stock ROM with 4ever root and it updated without a hitch and didn't affect root at all.

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
I don't know why you're going through all this trouble. I'm rooted on stock ROM with 4ever root and it updated without a hitch and didn't affect root at all.

Thanks for the response. I followed SargentMajord's instructions found in another post and it failed again. As far as I know, I'm still stock and have been careful to have not removed any VZW bloatware nor installed any tweaks/mods.

I wouldn't imagine 4ever root could help, right?

Any ideas?

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
madmako said:
Thanks for the response. I followed SargentMajord's instructions found in another post and it failed again. As far as I know, I'm still stock and have been careful to have not removed any VZW bloatware nor installed any tweaks/mods.

Any ideas?

I know u might not want to do this but create a backup an fxz the phone its the quickest way

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
Oh, oh... "FXZ" the phone doesn't sound good. That sounds like a wipe. That's reminiscent of the path I took the last time before finally having had to send away for a replacement. I recall downloading the previous VZW ROM and the OTA update still failed even after losing root during that nightmare.

I could perform a Titanium Backup to SD or Dropbox but after that I wouldn't know what to do without explicit instructions.

Thanks again.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
madmako said:
Oh, oh... "FXZ" the phone doesn't sound good. That sounds like a wipe. That's reminiscent of the path I took the last time before finally having had to send away for a replacement. I recall downloading the previous VZW ROM and the OTA update still failed even after losing root during that nightmare.

I could perform a Titanium Backup to SD or Dropbox but after that I wouldn't know what to do without explicit instructions.

Thanks again.

Go to the bionic general discussions forum an stickied is a thread called 5.5.5.893 fxz 901 and 902 compatible update it has step by step instructions an root methods it also leaves ur internal storage in tact but u just lose ur apps from the data wipe just reinstall titanium backup an restore ur apps with the the back up u made

Suuperflie

Reaction score
madmako said:

Any ideas?

It might help to 4ever root and then update. I'm serious, all I did was a normal update and it worked perfectly. I know for a fact I'm still rooted and nothing has been affected. I haven't removed any bloatware, just have it frozen.

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
At this point, I'm willing to attempt most anything that won't brick me. I'll try 4ever and if the OTA still fails, I guess I'll be forced to follow Sargentmajord's advice on the wipe with root alternative.

Thanks for your reply.

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
Go to the bionic general discussions forum an stickied is a thread called 5.5.5.893 fxz 901 and 902 compatible update it has step by step instructions an root methods it also leaves ur internal storage in tact but u just lose ur apps from the data wipe just reinstall titanium backup an restore ur apps with the the back up u made

As others have already said, I too am in your debt. The phone has returned to stock. But, I screwed up by installing the .905 update resulting in lost root. Since you have been so instrumental in getting me back on track, perhaps you would advise me of the best method to return root to the phone so I can perform a restore with Titanium Backup.

Thank you again.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
madmako said:
As others have already said, I too am in your debt. The phone has returned to stock. But, I screwed up by installing the .905 update resulting in lost root. Since you have been so instrumental in getting me back on track, perhaps you would advise me of the best method to return root to the phone so I can perform a restore with Titanium Backup.

Thank you again.

Motofail the root method is in the same thread where i directed u to :)