Preparations for Bionic OTAs for root users

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone there has been confusion on what the proper steps are to to retain root an avoid update failure an i have some guidelines so clear up that confusion.

GB OTAs

Retaining Root.

1. Download an install VooDoo OTA root keeper (if u havent installed it already)

2. Select create backup.

3. Download the OTA (DO NOT INSTALL).

4. Open VooDoo OTA root keeper an select temp unroot.

5. Install update an allow phone to reboot.

6. After phone reboots open Voodoo OTA root keeper an select restore root.

Avoiding Install Failure

1. If safe strapped disable safe system an boot into stock rom. If boot strapped restore phone back to stock via backup or FXZ (u do not need to uninstall safe/boot strap).

2. Make sure all bloatware is installed if u have removed any (U can leave frozen apps frozen the update will still install because the update's system check will see the frozen apps as installed an unaltered).

3. If u have altered any system files or build prop files u must return them to stock if u are unable to u must FXZ the phone back to stock.

4. If u have done any hacks (besides the Overclock, mobile hot spot, unthrottle, and dual core activations hacks) u must revert the system back to stock via backup, manual editing or FXZ method.

5. U do not need to unroot.

ICS OTAs

Retaining Root.

1. Download an install VooDoo OTA root keeper (if u havent installed it already)

2. Select create backup.

3. Download the OTA (DO NOT INSTALL).

4. Open VooDoo OTA root keeper an select temp unroot.

5. Install update an allow phone to reboot.

6. After phone reboots open Voodoo OTA root keeper an select restore root.

Avoiding Install Failure (step 1 is only for the GB to ICS transition update)

1. If safe strapped u must FXZ back to stock because safe strap has altered the prienstall an cant be returned back to stock maunally. If boot strapped restore phone back to stock via backup an uninstall bootstrap an open root browser an go to system--> Bin--> an locate the 2 files that say logwrapper an logwapper.bin delete the file logwrapper (it should say hijack to the right of it) an rename logwrapper.bin to logwrapper or FXZ the phone back to stock.

2. For ICS updates After the Transition update if safe strapped disable safe system an boot into stock rom. If boot strapped restore phone back to stock via backup or FXZ (u do not need to uninstall safe/boot strap).

3. Make sure all bloatware is installed if u have removed any (U can leave frozen apps frozen the update will still install because the update's system check will see the frozen apps as installed an unaltered).

4. If u have altered any system files or build prop files u must return them to stock if u are unable to u must FXZ the phone back to stock.

5. If u have done any hacks (besides the Overclock, mobile hot spot, unthrottle, and dual core activations hacks) u must revert the system back to stock via backup, manual editing or FXZ method.

6. U do not need to unroot.

huskur

Reaction score
Engadget just said there is an update now for the Bionic for LTE connectivity and some minor fixes ready now. Check for updates guys!

endlezzdrift

Reaction score
Stock rom Bionic. Used voodoo exactly as the above right up stated. No altered files, no deleted bloatware. Update failed for me. Any ideas guys?

welsalex

Reaction score
Well not gonna lie, I didn't follow the above.

I was stock .902 and rooted it using motofail. I used voodoo ota rootkeeper. When .905 OTA arrived I installed it and root was gone. I never did temp unroot with voodoo. But voodoo was able to restore the root after update.

Don't know if that helps anyone but it worked for me.

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
I also found out yesterday that you can root while on 905 using motofail. You don't have to use vodoo but it would make it a little easier.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
There's another possibility, as well, but it's using a paid app. Personally one I love. SuperSU Pro has an option to keep root through OTA updates. I only mention it as it's another option in the arsenal.

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
endlezzdrift said:
Stock rom Bionic. Used voodoo exactly as the above right up stated. No altered files, no deleted bloatware. Update failed for me. Any ideas guys?

Can u side load the update an tell me what the error is?

powrful1

Reaction score
I originally rooted when I got my bionic...with forever root and 901,902, and 905 still rooted.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

erfoster

Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of what bloatware came on the phone? I deleted all of it, but I may have some backups I can restore. Right now I'm getting install failed so I'm SOL until I figure out just what it checks for.

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
erfoster said:
Does anyone have a list of what bloatware came on the phone? I deleted all of it, but I may have some backups I can restore. Right now I'm getting install failed so I'm SOL until I figure out just what it checks for.

Sorry but u could always fxz the phone its easier than hunting down the bloat ware

erfoster

Reaction score
That might be what it comes down to--I'm trying to restore all the bloatware, but a few programs don't want to be restored. However, I searched fxz and was told it was too short to search for....can you point me in the right direction?