VOIP app for the X?

alanta

Reaction score
I will be surprised if this thread stays up but here goes anyway. I have been trying to find a VOIP app that works with Verizon's Droid X. I was disappointed to learn that the X does not work internationally (stupid me...I assumed that since my BlackBerry Storm did, certainly this newer and better phone would work internationally), and even more discouraged to learn that Skype Mobil only works on Verizon's 3G network; not with Wi-Fi as I naturally assumed.

Is there an app that will allow me to make VOIP calls (just like I do from my computer using Skype) while on a Wi-Fi network? With all of the developers out there, I have to believe that someone has this figured out!

Thanks for the help!

techguru

Reaction score
Fring and SipDroid are the best in my opinion. To call land lines you'll need a Sip provider. Sip Droid even integrates with the dialer, so out can default to your primary when you are on WiFi (i have used it on 3g as well, but it doesn't do g729, so it needed a lot of bandwidth and was not too reliable without wifi.

OP
A

alanta

Reaction score
Fring and SipDroid are the best in my opinion. To call land lines you'll need a Sip provider. Sip Droid even integrates with the dialer, so out can default to your primary when you are on WiFi (i have used it on 3g as well, but it doesn't do g729, so it needed a lot of bandwidth and was not too reliable without wifi.

Fring no longer supports Skype, so there is no way to call a mobile or landline and the SipDroid site is a bit confusing (I was hoping for a simple solution here). Also, another solution that supposedly supports outbound phone calls is Nimbuzz, but that app is not available to Droid X.

Let's face it; Google and Verizon have colluded to make sure that any app that might affect the bottom line will not be allowed on this so called "open" platform.

techguru

Reaction score

Fring no longer supports Skype, so there is no way to call a mobile or landline and the SipDroid site is a bit confusing (I was hoping for a simple solution here). Also, another solution that supposedly supports outbound phone calls is Nimbuzz, but that app is not available to Droid X.

Let's face it; Google and Verizon have colluded to make sure that any app that might affect the bottom line will not be allowed on this so called "open" platform.

Fring can connect to any SIP VoIP provider to connect to landlines, as can SIPDroid. (SipDroid is a bit complex, because it has a lot of options).

You may want to look at Vitelity LLC | Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) Service Solutions for a pretty low cost SIP provider. (there are lots of others, but I have used them for some time and they have been very reliable).

Alan

kpiskin

Reaction score
Why on earth would you think this post would be pulled? Great question. I also am a little peeved that skype only works when you'rs on 3G. It's BS and Verizon's way to make you use minutes no matter what. What's the point of wi-fi?

GrillMouster

Reaction score
Why on earth would you think this post would be pulled? Great question. I also am a little peeved that skype only works when you'rs on 3G. It's BS and Verizon's way to make you use minutes no matter what. What's the point of wi-fi?

I know how you feel. I signed up for basic cable television and they wouldn't even throw in all the premium channels for free. It's BS and the cable company's way to make you pay for service no matter what. What's the point of HDTV?

Free Skype-to-Skype calls from the US? Pffft! What's that all about?!?!

Last edited:

kpiskin

Reaction score
I see your sarcasm, but the whole point of skype to begin with is so you can use your network to make calls, not a phone line. By eliminating the ability to use your network, you're nullifying the entire reason to use skype. So maybe you might save a few bucks making an international call, but that's about it.

Ansextra

Reaction score
I have to say that coming from an iPhone 3G I do miss my Vonage app.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, and I agree that it would be great if Verizon allowed the official Skype app to work over Wifi. If I were to be traveling internationally, on a cruise, roaming, etc., then the abilit to Skype over Wifi would be a good back-up. However, I think the call quality is superior and more reliable going over the voice network rather than data. It satisfies my needs 99.9% of the time Also, it's convenient that I can call Skype-to-Skype for free while on the go; not "chained" to my computer at home. So, for calls when I'm in the US, I prefer Verizon's implimentation of Skype.

It's also nice for my sister, who can use it to speak to her husband (and father of her children) when he's away serving in the military. The service has plenty of good stuff going for it, so I think calling it "BS" because it doesn't include everything we'd want (and make Verizon bankrupt in the process) is going just a little too far.

bluejade

Reaction score
voip use and 3g

I know how you feel. I signed up for basic cable television and they wouldn't even throw in all the premium channels for free. It's BS and the cable company's way to make you pay for service no matter what. What's the point of HDTV?

Free Skype-to-Skype calls from the US? Pffft! What's that all about?!?!

Your post would make sense if that was the reason I was seeking voip. I actually bought a new droid x not because I needed a new phone but because I needed voip. I needed voip because verizon does not give good reception in the area I live (santa barbara) and thus unless, I go outside or to the upper floor, my phone doesn't work. Since I travel a lot I want one phone number, and I saw the skype add with the droid x. So I bought the phone and a data package upgrade at $360/yr and go home to find the skype uses my minutes, which I don't mind except that still means I am accessing skype over verizon instead of wifi, so what good will that do me?
Who is ripping who off in this scenario? My wifi connection, is excellent. Suggestions???

Technoman

Reaction score
Why not get the full SKYPE app from the market. The one that came on the X is limited and called SKYPE mobile... the full one is called just SKYPE. Here is the description from the full app... and I have confirmed it works on WIFI.

DESCRIPTION
Make free Skype-to-Skype calls, and call phones at Skype rates on the move
• Free* Skype-to-Skype IM and calls over 3G or WiFi
• Cheap calls to landlines or mobile phones at great Skype rates
• Instant message one or many friends at the same time
- * Data plan or WiFi connection required (calling in U.S - WiFi only)
- Some handsets may not be supported

j35u5fr34k

Reaction score
Dude, sipdroid will let you do free calls on 3g. Make sure you change to the speex codec.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk