Skype Lite vs Sipdroid vs Fring

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I am looking to understand what is the best currently available way to use a VOIP service like Skype when roaming outside Verizon's network (this actually isn't going to happen often, but I'd like to be prepared).

My understanding of the matter is as follows.

The Skype Lite app forces you into using your cellular connection as opposed to Wi-Fi which defeats the purpose of trying to pay less while roaming.

Fring and SipDroid both use Wi-Fi and can use your Skype account, I assume if you wanted to call a landline or something you would have to set that up on your Skype account ahead of time.

Fring makes it sound like that's all there is to it.

SipDroid integrates into your contact list so you don't need to run a separate app, but it sounds like it needs another application PBXes installed.

I don't know which is the best option or how exactly either of these work (maybe there's another better option). I'd like to learn more.

deputc26

Reaction score
Good question, I have Fring and it won't make calls over wi-fi though this is probly just me.

vpshockwave

Reaction score
I am looking to understand what is the best currently available way to use a VOIP service like Skype when roaming outside Verizon's network (this actually isn't going to happen often, but I'd like to be prepared).

The Skype Lite app forces you into using your cellular connection as opposed to Wi-Fi which defeats the purpose of trying to pay less while roaming.

Fring and SipDroid both use Wi-Fi and can use your Skype account, I assume if you wanted to call a landline or something you would have to set that up on your Skype account ahead of time.

SipDroid integrates into your contact list so you don't need to run a separate app, but it sounds like it needs another application PBXes installed.

I don't know which is the best option or how exactly either of these work (maybe there's another better option). I'd like to learn more.

Can anyone write up a good guide to all the VOIP options (or is there one already)? I'm going out of country in a few months and would love to be able to use a WiFi connection overseas to make calls since the Droid isn't compatible with the network.

TekHawk

Reaction score

Can anyone write up a good guide to all the VOIP options (or is there one already)? I'm going out of country in a few months and would love to be able to use a WiFi connection overseas to make calls since the Droid isn't compatible with the network.

couldnt you get the droid hooked into a temp plan with the people that are partnered with vzw overseas?

drewshaver

Reaction score
It used to be complicated (pbxes et al), but with the new update to Fring, I am able to make skypeout and skype to skype calls via fring. tried a test call a few hours ago and quality sounded wonderful.

All you need is a skype account, and if you want to call landlines, pay for skype ptsn service. D/l fring and log in to your skype, and you should be good to go! Works on 3g and wifi, and i was able to get data during 3g call so pretty sure not getting charged for minutes.

drewshaver

Reaction score
I have also succesfully made skypeout calls on nimbuzz, however nimbuzz prevents your phone from sleeping, so make sure to close it! (but this means you won't recv calls.. hmm.. dubious devs..)

OP
O

ohioDroid

Reaction score
It used to be complicated (pbxes et al), but with the new update to Fring, I am able to make skypeout and skype to skype calls via fring. tried a test call a few hours ago and quality sounded wonderful.

All you need is a skype account, and if you want to call landlines, pay for skype ptsn service. D/l fring and log in to your skype, and you should be good to go! Works on 3g and wifi, and i was able to get data during 3g call so pretty sure not getting charged for minutes.

How easy is fring to use? Sipdroid looked/sounded cool because of the integration into your Contacts list, but I'm not sure if that's a big deal. I just downloaded fring and ran it, it's asking me to setup a fring account (I have to set up an account with their service, just to use their product on the Skype service?)

drewshaver

Reaction score
yes, you do.. but doing that and entering your skype un/pw, and buying skype creds if applicable, that is literally all i had to do.

toddj

Reaction score
I tried out fring on my moto droid. It installs and opens and connects to skype just fine, but when i do a test call to their service, the playback of me sounds like it's been slowed down 10x.
Not sure if this is a common issue.

Last edited:
OP
O

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I tried out fring on my moto droid. It installs and opens and connects to skype just fine, but when i do a test call to their service, the playback of me sounds like it's been slowed down 10x.

I did end up setting up Fring with my Skype account in the end. My test call recording didn't have this problem.

toddj

Reaction score
I saw a few mentions of audio problems with droid, but they didn't say exactly what the problem was. maybe i'll try a different service to see if it is just skype for me.

EDIT: nope same thing on google voice. maybe i need to send some sort of bug report to the developers.

Last edited:

drewshaver

Reaction score

i would recc try calling a phone you have access to, so you can hear a real call.. maybe ther ewas a problem with the test thing, slowdown is very odd problem, unless you meant lag/delay

toddj

Reaction score

i would recc try calling a phone you have access to, so you can hear a real call.. maybe ther ewas a problem with the test thing, slowdown is very odd problem, unless you meant lag/delay

I tried calling a phone, it was doing the same thing, slow voice, not a delay. I then thought that it maybe was my phone, and did a voice recording and it did the same thing. I rebooted and it seems to be working perfectly now.
:)

toddj

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly haha :) I hope my troubles help someone else that might have the same problem.
Slow voice = reboot