Going to Europe - couple questions about data

82DMC12

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got sticker shock going into VZW store asking about international data plans. I need some more options. I have a D1 rooted with PE 6.5. I'll probably have a world phone, either D3 or Bionic by the time I leave.

I would like to be able to make emergency calls, text friends back in the US, update FB, go online, and have GPS or some kind of map app while I am there. I'll be in the UK, France, Switz, and Italy for two weeks.

I believe I'm on the right track by putting my phone into airplane mode and turning on wi-fi. I would also make sure data roaming is disabled just to be safe. As long as I have wi-fi signal I could do most things I think. That way I can use skype to make calls - free skype to skype and reasonable skype to landline charges. Also wi-fi to surf the internet, FB, etc.

Can I send a text message while in airplane mode with wi-fi turned on? I don't believe so. Is there an app that sends it via wi-fi and let me receive via wi-fi also? I would want an app that will hold missed texts until I get wi-fi signal again. That way I don't miss anything. Can they do MMS also?

Is there an offline GPS app where I can download a local map (in Europe!) and turn on my GPS so I can still see my location relative to other streets and POI's?

Lot of questions here but I'm sure some of you have already dealt with this.

What's the point of a smartphone if I get charged $1,000 for data for two weeks? Ridiculous.

Thanks,
Andy

johnd09

Reaction score
Text messaging will not work in airplane mode, you will get them when you reconnect. You might check with using Skype, I believe they do text messaging to.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
82DMC12

82DMC12

Reaction score
Thanks, I guess the only problem with a skype text is that anyone who texts me would have to also be on skype. Is there a wi-fi SMS app that 'intercepts' my regular texts and pulls them to me by wi-fi?

ckburks

Reaction score
Use mapdroid for the maps... Used it in curacao... World wide maps you can Download.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

johnd09

Reaction score
I dont know of an app that will do text over wifi. I know you probably have done it already, but try and Google it, you may find one.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
GV uses data for SMS but it's not just an app. You need a GV account and you have to get people to switch to using your GV number.

Is there an offline GPS app where I can download a local map (in Europe!) and turn on my GPS so I can still see my location relative to other streets and POI's?
Navigon and CoPilot are the usual suspects for GPS nav with locally stored map data.

Thanks, I guess the only problem with a skype text is that anyone who texts me would have to also be on skype. Is there a wi-fi SMS app that 'intercepts' my regular texts and pulls them to me by wi-fi?
Nope. SMS is conveyed by your carrier's network. No app running on your device can intercept SMS and reroute it. The app would have to receive the SMS in the first place.

What's the point of a smartphone if I get charged $1,000 for data for two weeks?
You'd have to answer that. Plenty of people still see the point in a smartphone even when traveling internationally. Don't overlook local SIM's or something like that Euro SIM.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you turn on the international data plan for 100$ for 70 megs and turn off all back ground data you should be fine for the two weeks but I recommend you turn it on first day of the new billing cycle so that you get the full 70 megs. I am grandfathered into international unlimited data for $69 a month, and I abuse the piss out of it, streaming pandora! I turned it on for my girl when she was in the bahamas but you should be good to go with just the 70 megs plan.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What's the point of a smartphone if I get charged $1,000 for data for two weeks? Ridiculous.

Thanks,
Andy

FYI it takes less than 36 hours to rack up more than $1500, in data roaming charges.... this was 48 hours into my travels

Total Balance Due: $2053.77

Due to VZW not transferring my Data plan over correctly, it also ended up shutting off my accounts. due to excessive roaming charges twice. each after $750 in charges.

SO MAKE SURE BACK GROUND DATA IS OFF!

It took a month and a half to get this cleared up and VZW ate the entire cost of the bill including my monthly access charges :D and 2 hours of international phone calls at $2.89/min

dennis24

Reaction score
Thanks takeshi. I searched for and found your answer to the question I had - finding a GPS app that I can use when I go to Europe in less than 3 weeks. Navigon is $70 and copilot has two versions, $80 and $85. Any pros/cons or insight into which one?