Voice to Text Won't Connect When Instant Messaging

HikenGruven

Reaction score
So of all the problems that 4.0.4 finally fixed, this is a strange one that I've never dealt with before. When I try to use the voice to text feature, I get a connection problem in Google Talk and the stock IM (see the screenshot). I've restarted, turned mobile data on and off, used both 3G/4G, entered plane mode, and cleared cache with no success. I don't know what else to try. The voice to text feature works fine with stock browser. I'm about to resort to a factory reset, but scared it will put me back onto 4.0.2 which is a disaster.

So of all the problems that 4.0.4 finally fixed, this is a strange one that I've never dealt with before. When I try to use the voice to text feature, I get a connection problem in Google Talk and the stock IM (see the screenshot). I've restarted, turned mobile data on and off, used both 3G/4G, entered plane mode, and cleared cache with no success. I don't know what else to try. The voice to text feature works fine with stock browser. I'm about to resort to a factory reset, but scared it will put me back onto 4.0.2 which is a disaster.

I should add that the feature works fine when connected to wi-fi. Should I just factory reset and be done with it?

I finally gave up and contacted Big Red. As I suspected, no solution. I did a factory reset and it solved the problem. Bites to start over.

Voice to Text Connection Problem

In Settings-> Data Usage-> If the "Limit Mobile Data Usage" option is checked then the voice to text feature will not work in SMS, Google Search, etc... Try unchecking this option. I also spoke to Verizon who had no solution but I contacted them after I figured this out and let them know.

Back