voice & data at the same time - the truth?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for guidance. I'm currently testing a 3Gs and a Droid, and love them both. I've heard/read that I can't do both voice and data at the same time on Verizon's CDMA network, which would be a deal killer for me... BUT...

I tested this the other day. I was driving down the road, not connected to any WiFi. I called my 3Gs so I could have a phone call constantly running. While on the call, I was able to check my email, and continue running the Google Navigation app (the voice instructions even continued, but simply came through the earpiece instead of the speaker since I was on a call). The phone call was a running process in the background, but continued to work fine (I'm sure I looked weird sitting at the stoplight with the Droid on one ear and the 3Gs on another).

I DID notice that once I ended the email process and Google Nav app, that the "3G" appeared again in the top of the screen. So was I accessing some sort of lower level network on Verizon (like AT&T's EDGE?) in order to do both voice and data?

If someone could explain how all of this works, that would be very helpful. Like I said, I keep reading that it can't be done, but my test seemed to work fine.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes due to the technology that CMDA uses, you cannot use 3G data and use the voice line at the same time. You can however use WiFi and talk at the same time. If your trying to use google nav, when you do the nav the first time it will load that map and directions, so even if you loose connection to 3G, you probably wouldn't notice unless you try to make a change to the directions. Once you end the call however, it will pick back up with the data and continue along the way. Your position is also calculated by GPS satellites, that however I do not know if they keep your position, i believe they do but maybe someone else here can answer that to 100%.

n8pbm

Reaction score
Try this. Make your phone call. Then open the web browser and try to go to a website. It fails on my Droid.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
@n8pbm - you're right, no luck... and no luck on my email either - maybe I was too distracted (since I was driving, like an idiot) to realize that I was looking at mail that was already loaded on my phone (duh?) so I got it in my head that it was working... the GPS is where it gets interesting, though.

@New2u - I think you're right about the GPS, b/c when I tested the other day, I started up the navigation FIRST, and then made the phone call. Therefore, along the lines of what you said, the directions would have already been loaded up in the system. But, here's where it's weird, and maybe this partially answers your question about the satellites. I'm dead sure that in the middle of the phone call, I received a vocal navigation instruction ("in 300 yards, turn right on..."), so I wonder if there is some sort of limited GPS capability while using the phone? B/c it was definitely keeping up with me on the map while I was using the phone.

I'll test this again this evening to make sure I'm not dreaming, since clearly I messed up on my assumption about my email.

Droider

Reaction score
GPS continues to work on a call and I've seen it discussed elsewhere that the nav program caches at least part of your route maps so that if you lose cell signal that you don't lose your maps and directions.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info - i actually found on my phone a "cache" directory under the google nav folder that had the audio files that i used the other day, with specific street names, so that definitely confirms what you've seen discussed

Starsushi

Reaction score
thanks for the info - i actually found on my phone a "cache" directory under the google nav folder that had the audio files that i used the other day, with specific street names, so that definitely confirms what you've seen discussed

Does anyone know how to clear this cache??? I mean completely. I finally figured out to clear the history with the exception of the last one.

Last edited: