Google voice App on unlocked droid?

vanmaanj

Reaction score
I have seen there is a Google voice app that uses Google voice numbers to call out or in on a wifi network.

I am around Wi-fi for 95% of my day so I don't want the data plan.

So I figured the Google voice app will work even without a wireless carrier?

Can anyone confirm this?

MrBaz

Reaction score
Try it out and let us know. The Google Voice app I have does NOT make calls on WiFi. Maybe this is something new?

jacobrv

Reaction score
As far as I know, google voice is only for use over your existing voice line. If you want voice over data (VoIP) then look into skype, fring, etc.

The main purpose of google voice is to combine multiple numbers into one. So people can call your GV# and it rings your work phone, your home phone, your cell phone, your skype, etc all at the same time. The google voice app allows you to make calls that appear as if they are coming from your GV# instead of your cell#.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have seen there is a Google voice app that uses Google voice numbers to call out or in on a wifi network.
Can you post a link to it? GV isn't VOIP and the standard GV app doesn't include any VOIP functionality.

I am around Wi-fi for 95% of my day so I don't want the data plan.
How exactly do you intend to get a Droid from Verizon without a data plan? AFAIK it's impossible as the data plan is mandatory.

Google voice App on unlocked droid?
The Droid is CDMA. Subsidy locks aren't relevant to it.

Last edited:
OP
V

vanmaanj

Reaction score
There is a video at the top of the page that tells everything. The app is downloadable for android phones and blackberry but any other phone has to use the browser to make calls.

Google Voice for your phone

jacobrv

Reaction score
There is a video at the top of the page that tells everything. The app is downloadable for android phones and blackberry but any other phone has to use the browser to make calls.

Yes, the app is available, but NOWHERE on there does it say you can make calls over data/wifi. It still uses your voice line. Trust me, I use google voice.
At about 18 seconds on the video, it says "it will confirm that you want to dial your google access number." That is, using your current voice line to dial your google access number.

Last edited:

gentlefury

Reaction score
the calling feature of Google Voice is NOT VOIP...and they have explicitly stated this on many occasions. You call into their system using a set gateway number, then they dial the number you are trying to reach. This allows you to use your google voice number as your caller ID...so if that person calls you back your phone will ring and you will have options like blocking them.

You can use this to your advantage with a friends and family plan...but I guess VZW figured that out and lowered the unlimited talk price to that of the starting F&F price...so you might as well just get unlimited now.

ddmmaaxx

Reaction score
i have the droid on page plus pre-paid with no data plan. I use it on wi fi for e-mail and web. The google voice app is great because it syncs your contacts when in wifi range.
Google voice stops working without wifi (android, blackberry has offline dilaing mode) and to make an ouybound call using google voice you need a calling card program to dial the access number, pause, destination number, # (i use accudial). For voip calls, gizmo 5 is the most compatible with google voice, but since google bought gizmo new membership is closed until it is reworked for google - for now there is truphone, vonage, and a few others which may or may not be compatible

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yup, and as I (and others) have said, the standard GV app isn't VOIP. You might want to read more on GV via Google's site and the various threads here. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel since we have so many threads with all this info already.