Vizio P Series TV uses a 6" Android tablet remote

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
viziocast-lead-ft.jpg

Vizio just announced a new 2016 lineup of 4K TV's and it looks like they have set the bar for everyone else. Not just 4k, these well priced sets will support HDR 4K and down the road they will get an update to support HDR10.

That's not why this is Droidforums.net worthy of being in the "News" , of course. How about this: the main supplied remote that comes with each model is a 6 inch Android tablet running Lollipop. Vizio worked directly with Google to integrate Google Cast into this tuner-less TV (although Vizio calls it 'Vizio Smart Cast').

So, not only can you use the 6" tablet remote that has full on Google Play access to control it, but you can use your own iOS or Android devices and cast from them. Most reviewers that have seen this TV in the flesh are pretty impressed with the picture quality and, as is typical for Vizio, the pricing is low for what you get.

The smallest TV is 55" and comes with 5 HDMI ports including one with zero lag for dedicated gaming. All this for just $999. Try to find any regular 4K TV with 5 HDMI for $1,000!?! These will be a Best Buy exclusive for at least a few weeks.

Source: Wired
YouTube Video from The Verge

Last edited by a moderator:

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I want one...

♡My Sexy Edge+♡

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That's really interesting.. I think I'll probably want one too...they should step it up and make future TVs controllable from Android devices with a similar app..but not all Android devices have IR so idk...there's ways around that I'm sure..

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I will make sure to write a full review....when I get one. Daddy wants!

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
5% off if you order through Vizio.com (for first timers ordering through Vizio.com).
+Free Shipping +No Tax
$950 out the door for the 55".

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think this is cool, but I'm not sure I care for the tablet as a remote. My previous 2 phones were Samsung phones with IR blasters. It was fun to mess with people and handy in a super pinch, but I don't care for a touch screen remote.

The thing I like about my remote from Charter is that I can tell by feel what button I'm about to push and do so quickly. Having to look down at a tablet or phone to find the right button just seems like a step backwards to me.

That's really interesting.. I think I'll probably want one too...they should step it up and make future TVs controllable from Android devices with a similar app..but not all Android devices have IR so idk...there's ways around that I'm sure..
You'd think bluetooth or wifi controlling would be a viable option, at least with newer smart TVs. Many of them can be paired with BT keyboard and mouse and use Wifi to connect to the internet. (Though I've personally hardwired mine with ethernet, since it sits right by the router.)

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2