Vizio Releases Early Details On Their Android Devices Set to Demo at CES

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Vizio-Google-TV-Android.jpg

It seems the TV maker Vizio is getting into the Android game. This week at CES they are going to show off an entire line of Android powered devices. You can get a peak at the full press release over at AndroidCentral.com. Here is a summary of the highlights:

• The whole shebang is called the Vizio VIA Plus Ecosystem.
  • The VIA Phone is a 4-inch Android smartphone with 1GHz processor, 802.11 n Wifi, GPS, HDMI output, 5MP rear camera and front-facing secondary camera.
  • The VIA Tablet is an 8-inch tablet with 1GHz processor, 802.11n Wifi, GPS, HDMI output, three speakers for stereo audio, plus a front-facing camera.
  • VIA Plus televisions and Blu-ray players have Google TV built in. The phone and tablet will, of course, serve as remote controls.
Everyone seems to be joining 'Andy's' party!

Source: AndroidCentral
by dgstorm

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Awesome!!!
I've been using Vizio products since my old TV died and all things considered they are some of the best products out, especially for the price. Can't wait to see what they do!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok...this might be the TV I get that has Google TV built in. I assume the other ones will cost more.

Vizio is good for the price. I think their LED TV's might be better implemented than some of the big name manufactures. (edge-lit vs. back-lit vs. full array vs. whatever else I missed , lol. Just from doing some reading I dont want edge lit.)

Some of us laughed at Onkyo getting in the Android Tablet game at another site. Vizio is another story....even if they do make a phone also.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well many of their products are actually repacked/relabeled products from other manufacturers with custom firmwares or other small changes (eg their router and BlueRay player). That said it's not necessarily a bad thing and has lead to really good products that cost considerably less than their competitors. I would be surprised if Vizio 'made' their phone or tablet and would expect them to be re-branded models from someone else especially the phone (HTC has been doing that a LOT lately).

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I love Vizio! I'm pretty sure I actually have the TV pictured in this post, and they make a great TV. I'm very curious to see what they can bring to the table with android.