vista os and mount droid

IN AWE

Reaction score
Has anyone found a reliable method to mount your droid with vista as an operating system. New build vista premium will not mount my droid. Will not recognize or asks for me to load a disk. Yellow exclamation in mass storage drive in device manager. Tried every work around. Debugging on/off. Mount at various times. Drivers/Motorola etc. Worked like a dream in seconds on XP Pro on another office computer. Thanks.
I too have this problem. The only way I have found to mount every time without exception is to use the Motorola Driver Installer and clean the drivers BEFORE i connect and try to mount phone.
Here is a link to installer.
USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA
First run Motorola driver installer exe.
Then select clean only and start.
then connect and mount.

OP
D

dsgerman

Reaction score
Tried to change the drive letter on the droid, remove the usb mass storage and droid and reboot. Nothing worked. Also my usb thumb drive still shows no data(XP shows all the data). Now External usb hard drive does not show in explorer though shows under disk drives in device manager and working well. Droid, usb thumb drive and external hard drive all work on xp and droid worked on home vista. I guess the only choice is to go to the format C: and see if I can start from scratch. Seems like trying to load the droid really changed the usb ports for all my usb devices. Will report back after reload all of the software. Thanks.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tried to change the drive letter on the droid, remove the usb mass storage and droid and reboot. Nothing worked. Also my usb thumb drive still shows no data(XP shows all the data). Now External usb hard drive does not show in explorer though shows under disk drives in device manager and working well. Droid, usb thumb drive and external hard drive all work on xp and droid worked on home vista. I guess the only choice is to go to the format C: and see if I can start from scratch. Seems like trying to load the droid really changed the usb ports for all my usb devices. Will report back after reload all of the software. Thanks.
this post doesn't make sense to me. what software? a device can't just change your USB ports, that's asinine.

go into safe mode and check to see if you have a bunch of unidentified devices in your USB section and remove them.

when people tell you to use a different USB port, they mean physically plug it into a different port.

i've had 0 mounting problems on any OS.

OP
D

dsgerman

Reaction score
640k. I agree. Did not mean that I could change the usb ports with software, tried changing usb ports-have 8 on computer . Did not check safe mode and usb drives. Every time I would plug in droid get yellow triangle and could not read sd card then could not see data on usb thumb drive then could not get computer to see external hard drive.

Had enough. Reinstall vista with fresh copy. Droid mounts no problem. External hard drive no problem. Thumb drive no data. 2 potential problems here. First is the U3 launcher and vista so will format cruzer without U3 as a basic data drive. Second and possibly more important-plugged the droid into a usb drive in front of case yellow triangle and would not read drive in computer(cruzer worked here for several years). Plugged into usb on back of motherboard today and works fine. Wonder if case usb does not get enough power to support the droid and resulted in problems with initial mount of drive. Sorry this is long. Hope this will help others. When I finish with reinstalling all the software and using the cruzer will report back. Thanks

ThermalGuy

Reaction score
No problems here on Vista Home Premium. Mounts and un-mounts like it's supposed to. No problems dragging pix and videos to the card.

ThermalGuy

Reaction score
640k. I agree. Did not mean that I could change the usb ports with software, tried changing usb ports-have 8 on computer . Did not check safe mode and usb drives. Every time I would plug in droid get yellow triangle and could not read sd card then could not see data on usb thumb drive then could not get computer to see external hard drive.

Had enough. Reinstall vista with fresh copy. Droid mounts no problem. External hard drive no problem. Thumb drive no data. 2 potential problems here. First is the U3 launcher and vista so will format cruzer without U3 as a basic data drive. Second and possibly more important-plugged the droid into a usb drive in front of case yellow triangle and would not read drive in computer(cruzer worked here for several years). Plugged into usb on back of motherboard today and works fine. Wonder if case usb does not get enough power to support the droid and resulted in problems with initial mount of drive. Sorry this is long. Hope this will help others. When I finish with reinstalling all the software and using the cruzer will report back. Thanks

Could be USB 1.2 vs USB 2.0 issues. Not all the USB ports on a comp are 2.0.
1.2 is too slow data transfer rate for some devices to work well or at all.

OP
D

dsgerman

Reaction score
thermal guy. I suspect the same. Only thing was after failed first mount no matter what i tried I could not get the droid to mount then thumb drive and external hard drive to function. format C: still seems to be best option at times. Anyone else with problem needs to consider which usb port they are using. Wonder if anyone else has used a usb hub with success.

ThermalGuy

Reaction score
I'm running the USB off an open port of an unpowered USB mini-hub. Droid mounts and un-mounts just fine.