Windows 7 Mount Problem - Workaround

dhuism2

Reaction score
So recently I decided to upgrade to Windows 7 64 Premium from my stock Vista. Why fix what wasn't broke? I really don't know....the disk was just lying around and I had some free time. But it was a horrible mistake (as of now). So every time I tried to mount my Droid, it flat out wouldn't work. It would work on everyone else's computers though (Vistas).

After searching and searching this forum and reading up on all the fixes and workarounds that you guys suggested, I tried assigning it a different drive letter, installing a number of different drivers, installing MotoMediaLink, using USBDeview and uninstalling my device, tried running virtual Vista/XP PC settings, etc, etc, etc. Nothing ever worked for me....ever.

But my brother just recently emailed me this link and it works like a charm. I'm expecting the effect to wear off sooner or later with a couple shutdowns, but it's easy enough to go ahead and do it again, so I'm satisfied.

Enjoy:
Get rid of old device drivers hidden in Vista | Microsoft Windows | TechRepublic.com

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you "update" to Win7 or do a clean install (i.e. WIPED your drive)... sounds more like you got some remnants of the previous install still there. Win7 works MUCH BETTER if it's put on a nice clean disk. Actually do that and you should have no problems.... I've connected the phone to 2 different windows 7 machines with NO problems. Until then if you have wifi here's a temp workaround (I say it's a work around but unless I need to work with the SDK this is the only way I mount the device) hope it helps:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/5616-howto-wifi-mount-your-droid.html

Note: I use Filezilla for the client/computer end instead of what he recommends.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's odd...since Ive had my Droid, I'd say I have mounted it to a handful of different computers and different operating systems....Vista, 7, XP I believe, and Ive never had one problem ever on any of those

OP
D

dhuism2

Reaction score
Did you "update" to Win7 or do a clean install (i.e. WIPED your drive)... sounds more like you got some remnants of the previous install still there. Win7 works MUCH BETTER if it's put on a nice clean disk. Actually do that and you should have no problems.... I've connected the phone to 2 different windows 7 machines with NO problems. Until then if you have wifi here's a temp workaround (I say it's a work around but unless I need to work with the SDK this is the only way I mount the device) hope it helps:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/5616-howto-wifi-mount-your-droid.html

Note: I use Filezilla for the client/computer end instead of what he recommends.
Yeah, I updated.

I figured that was the problem, but didn't really know how to go about solving it. So I'll just use this for now.

mjs31

Reaction score
I run windows 7 64 bit as well (actually have been running it since the first betas). I did a clean install though. Not sure why you are having issues, but this I promise you. If you have a good install of windows 7 you will not go back. Absolutely Microsofts best so far.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
I'm still running the RC of W7 64bit... I haven't tried to connect the two, I'm hoping there is not issues when I start to try to transfer music...

sddenizen

Reaction score
Droid Problem with Win7 64-bit

I just bought the Droid and then found out from Moto support that the Droid does not sync with a Win 7 64-bit pc. Moto support rep: "This is a known problem and they are working on it as we speak. Check back in a week." Very helpful! Anybody else have the same problem?

drummerq

Reaction score
yea same proboblem really frusterating.

i tried workaround, didn't work

oh well, ill keep tryin different stuff

mjs31

Reaction score
Confused on what you want to do? I run windows 7 home premium 64 bit and have no issues at all.
To anyone having issues with win 7 64 bit, it is your computer and not the Droid. Unless you are trying to do something strange. I run windows 7 64 bit on 3 computers and all have not had a single issue.

drummerq

Reaction score
Idk, i have the droid and so does my father. I plug mine in to my computer and it offers me the possibility to mount but when i pull the bar down and hit mount it just auto remounts and configures SD card.

I tried my dads droid on my computer with same cord, worked perfectly

idk what it is, but i believe its got to be something i installed or me messing with my drivers or something.

Any insight???

drowe

Reaction score
I'm running win7 64 bit Home Premium and it worked without problem from day one. No extra drivers, just plug it in and it, mount it and it is my F drive. I upgraded a Vista 64 system.

sddenizen

Reaction score
I tried syncing the Droid with my desktop and laptop, both have Win 7 64-bit, no luck. I then tried to sync with my wife's Win 7 32-bit pc and was successful.

Since Moto support said there was a problem with Win 7 64-bit, I don't think that it is a "pc" issue. Can't explain why some others are not experiencing the same Win 7 64-bit issue...

sddenizen

Reaction score
I did upgrades on my desktop (Win 7 64-bit) and my wife's desktop (Win 7 32-bit) but the laptop was purchased new with Win 7 64-bit installed by HP.

Duc748s

Reaction score
Is there someway to force the phone into compatibility mode or have it run in 32bit mode? Not to up on Win7 as I haven't installed it yet.

Reason I asked about upgrade vs clean install, is with an upgrade I could see some drivers caring over to Win7 from Vista, but on a clean install Win7 wouldn't have it.

Have you tried using Vista 64 drivers (if available)? I know I had to do that for my laptop using Win7RC

Last edited: