Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Viper SmartStart launches on Android, brings remote vehicle start and more

Directed Electronics has released its popular Viper SmartStart application for the Android platform, which allows drivers to remotely start their car, lock and unlock doors, pop the trunk, and more.
chart
You've probably seen their [video=youtube;EIQhDPOKKjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIQhDPOKKjg"]iPhone app featured in an AT&T iPhone commercial.[/video]

Be aware, it does take hardware in your vehicle, which you may not have and will need to have installed. While applications like this may not be for everyone, it's great to see developers of top tier products supporting Android, it shows that they too see the potential behind out friendly green robot. You can download the application from the market and at Viper.com , and it would be great to hear from anyone who's converted over from iOS and is using the iPhone app -- let us know how they compare. Hit the jump for the full press release. [Viper]

DIRECTED ELECTRONICS RELEASES NEW VIPER SMARTSTART™ APP FOR ANDROID®

Start your car from virtually anywhere with your Android, iPhone® or BlackBerry® Smartphone

Vista, California (July 29, 2010) – Directed Electronics today announced the availability of its popular Viper SmartStart app on the Google Android smartphone platform. The free app is available at www.viper.com and the Android Market.

“The Android operating system enables millions of smartphones on all major carrier networks and across a full range of price points,” said Kevin Duffy, President of Directed Electronics. “With this app release, our Viper SmartStart solution is available to more than 75% of all smartphone users.”

Viper SmartStart is available to users with iPhones, BlackBerry smartphones, and now Android smartphones. When the Viper SmartStart hardware is installed on the user’s vehicle along with a compatible Viper remote start or security system, the app allows users to control their car from virtually anywhere with their smartphone. Users with a Viper remote start system can start their engine with the push of a button, to pre-warm it in the winter or pre-cool it in the summer. Depending on the installation, users can also lock and unlock the doors, pop the trunk, or arm their security system and get an alert on their smartphone if their alarm is triggered. Users can even control multiple cars from one smartphone.

According to Mike Simmons, Executive Vice President of Directed Electronics, “Android users are a rapidly growing segment of our customer base and the overall smartphone market, and we’re excited to deliver the Viper SmartStart app to them. Many Android users are early adopters of technology, and we’re proud to be first to enable them to replace their car keyfob with their smartphone. We’ve been leading the automotive industry in smartphone integration, and will continue to deliver ‘first-to-market’ solutions to customers in the future.”

For more information please visit www.viper.com/smartstart

Viper SmartStart launches on Android, brings remote vehicle start and more | Android Central

allsounds

Reaction score
I came on here to post this same exact thing. I ordered a unit off of ebay this morning and am stoked to install it on my cars.

It should be here in a few days, I plan on installing it one night next week and I will post a video for everyone.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I came on here to post this same exact thing. I ordered a unit off of ebay this morning and am stoked to install it on my cars.

It should be here in a few days, I plan on installing it one night next week and I will post a video for everyone.

Nice.. Im liking this, look forward to your video..

But for $500 I may want it to actually drive me to :)

Last edited:
OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
[video=youtube;mto6-akGxws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mto6-akGxws&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Start your Car with an iPhone[/video]

Big Ry

Reaction score
i had the old xv791 on my blazer with remote start, alarm, windows/hatch opener, etc...it was awesome. using an app would be even cooler. however does the app have a car diagram that shows what sensor (door, shock, hood, etc) is going off during attempted vandalism/theft? mine did that on the key ring which was so cool. also, does it use the network? my xv791 had a long range but i xouldnt get it to work in the movie theater or over about 1000 ft away. then again, accidentally starting your car while in a different state woukd suck lol.

allsounds

Reaction score

Nice.. Im liking this, look forward to your video..

But for $500 I may want it to actually drive me to :)

I have an install background on cars, so luckily I was able to buy just the unit and I'll do the install myself. I haven't done a remote start in over 5 years, so hopefully I'm not in for a surprise with some new feature to install I don't know about.

Napoleon12

Reaction score
the app works great. had it for a couple months. sometimes when you first open the app and send a command it might not go thru. 2 way paging is not up and running yet ( send alerts back to the phone if something happens to the car. that is down the road. )

PARick

Reaction score
Has this been removed? I can't find it in the market.

Napoleon12

Reaction score
u can get it from vipers web site. update this morn. fixed the small bug it had.

KCMC582

Reaction score
Does anyone know if something is going on with this app? I got my smartstart yesterday but no matter how we try and locate the app, i cant find it. Using the barcode scan, searching the marketplace, or going to their website from my phone. I am giving it til Monday before I have my installer contact Viper and see what might be going on. Anyone have any clues? i have a Droid X running leaked 2.2, but i dont think that matters.